Wiki Posts
Search

Germany, Switzerland, and Austria Travel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2022, 5:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Germany, Switzerland, and Austria Travel

For people that use trains in Europe often, including night trains to sleep... let me know your insight, advice, experience, and recommendations. Looking to do Vienna in Austria, Neuschwanstein in Germany, and Interlaken and Lugano in Switzerland. Looking to be in each place 1- 2 days. Hope to do this without a car. If rail trains don't work how is flying to from and between these places? Also, hoping but doubting I can fit in Lake Bled in Slovenia (perhaps swap Lugano for Lake Bled). Looking to do this trip 6-8 days. I Hope night trains make most of this possible. Also, any other places you might recommend instead in Switzerland? I am not interested in Zurich except for flying in and out of Zurich airport.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 3:37 am

The first two places to start is the travelsite seat61 for all tings train related. And to look up timings at www.bahn.de (select English language).
Old Jul 18, 2022, 1:32 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
You can easily fly between Zurich to Vienna, but it's not very practical to fly to Interlaken, Lugano, Lake Bled or Neuschwanstein unless you hire a private plane or maybe a helicopter.

There are trains from Zurich to Interlaken and Lugano at least hourly and they take about 2 hours. So if you're flying into/out of Zurich then you can do each of them as day trips, or stay a night and go back to Zurich (if you have lots of luggage it could be kept in Zurich).

Neuschwanstein is a bit more difficult, it's sort of midway between Zurich and Vienna in terms of train travel time (about 6 hours) but a lot of it is along local slow lines and would involve multiple changes. You could fly to Munich, or take take a train or bus there from Zurich, and do the castle as a day trip / overnight stay, but it still takes 2 hours from Munich.

There are sleeper trains between Lesce-Bled and Zurich as well as Lesce-Bled and Munich, then you need to take a local bus to the lake itself. You could also take a bus to LJU airport and fly from there.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 5:47 am

Programs: A* Gold, OW Sapphire, Thalys Platinum, Accor Gold, member of BahnBonus
If this is still an idea, here are my 2 cents about your train options:
There are night trains from Zurich going to Innsbruck, Vienna and back - but if you want to visit Neuschwanstein, you would have to get off the train in Innsbruck somewhat at 1 am. I would not do that, if I were you.

The neastest city to Neuschwanstein with a train station is Füssen. There are a few direct trains from Munich, which take about 2 hours, which I would prefer over staying in Füssen. Non direct trains include a change in Buchloe. For this part, you may use the 9 Euro ticket, if it is still available when you travel. I think there are organized tours from Munich as well, if you are into that.

So my suggestion would be a day train from Zürich to Munich (EC train every 2 hours, it takes 3 1/2 hours). If you want to interrupt this, I would suggest Bregenz / Lake Constance (Bodensee) for a stop-over.
For Neuschwanstein, take a local train from Munich to Füssen (9:36 leaves a direct train, taking 2 hours to Füssen).
From Munich to Vienna take one of the direct Railjets (for example RJX 63 leaving Munich at 9:29 am, arriving in Vienna 1:30 pm). Or, again, make a stop-over in Salzburg or Linz.

For your way back to Zürich, either take a flight or use the Nightjet leaving Vienna at 11:27 pm, arriving Zürich at 8:20 am.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 10:49 am

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Bolzano-Munich EC 86 notes from August 27

Typical one of 16 trains we took in August--all on time within 7 minutes, no missed connections.
First class was half to 2/3 full; second class often packed, with students lying in the aisles.
Ausfall (failures) we were warned about: no on-board restaurant, SEV (substitute bus for track repair segment Brenner-Innsbruck). Results: cash-only cart beverage service, but track repairs completed, so avoided transfers up and down steps without elevator .
Staffing issues, just as in hotels, restaurants, etc. Good-to-excellent overall, just prepare for an occasional exception, much like the before time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.