Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St Moritz to Zermatt

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2022, 2:20 am
Original Poster

St Moritz to Zermatt

Hi. I知 thankful for this forum - Flytalk.
I知 very basic and planning for Europe trip and by train. I plan to get Europe Global pass. And in Switzerland, I知 trip from St Moritz to Zermatt. Is it on the Glacier Express train? Is it included in my pass with also a good view?
Thank you very much.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 8:24 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The train would be the Glacier Express. For rail journeys, a great resource is The Man in Seat 61, and he notes that Interrail and Eurail passed as valid on the Glacier Express, but you do need to book and pay for a seat reservation.

Enjoy your travels, and report back to us how it goes.
Old Feb 12, 2022, 6:39 am

Reconsider getting an Eurail Global pass. Depending on the countries you wish to visit it is either just expensive, or worse, an expensive pain in the posterior.

Tell us a bit more about your plans and we can give you some advise.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 9:53 pm

Programs: AP AS BA
I too am thinking of making this journey in August 2022. Here are my thoughts:
Plan A
Day 0 - fly into ZRH, train to St. Moritz
Day 1 - Glacier Express to Zermatt.
Days 2-4 - touristy things in Zermatt
Day 5 - local train back to ZRH

I also have a Plan B:
Day 0 - fly into ZRH, train to Chur
Day 1 - Bernina Express to Tirano in the AM. local train back to Chur in the PM.
Days 2-3 touristy things in Chur
Day 5 - train to Lauterbrunnen
Day 7 - train to ZRH

As I understand, my journey on the Bernina Express would include a small portion of tracks used by Glacier Express. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.
Lastly, should I buy a Swiss Travel (Flex) Pass? My dates are mostly determined in advanced.

Thanks, Flyertalk community!
Old Apr 18, 2022, 10:45 am

Programs: 8 mm lifetime,1K, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Plan A is very best for scenic views. ZRH to Chur, You can take either the Bernina or the Glacier Express from Chur to St Moritz. Then return thru GE all the way to Zermatt. Once done you can go on the Golden Pass Train to Lucerne and ZRH.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 7:46 am

Programs: AP AS BA
Originally Posted by robtroxel
Plan A is very best for scenic views. ZRH to Chur, You can take either the Bernina or the Glacier Express from Chur to St Moritz. Then return thru GE all the way to Zermatt. Once done you can go on the Golden Pass Train to Lucerne and ZRH.
Thanks, robtroxel! Do Berninia Express, Glacier Express, (and the local service) all use the same tracks between Chur and St. Moritz?
Old Apr 26, 2022, 11:29 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by robtroxel
The Golden pass route links Montreux (via Zweissimen, Spiez, Interlaken Ost, Meiringen) and Luzern. If one has enough time, going from Zermat to Visp and then using mainline SBB service to Montreux would allow riding on a route with SUPER spectacular scenery; though riding Zermat-Vsp-Spiez-Interlaken Ost-Luzern, would only be half of GP, but still super scenic.
Old May 3, 2022, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by fbrdky
Thanks, robtroxel! Do Berninia Express, Glacier Express, (and the local service) all use the same tracks between Chur and St. Moritz?
All trains from st. Moritz to Chur take the same route. The regular trains are also very nice, as they have an observation/photographers lounge at one end (next to the locomotive)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.