Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > European Rail Travel
Reload this Page >

Skipping first of two trains on restricted ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2019, 3:35 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS

I have a ticket from Ljubljana to Vienna via Villach booked as an ÖBB Sparschiene. I'm starting to think about leaving Ljubljana a day early and spending the night before in Villach or Lake Bled. Would I be allowed to board the first train (an EC) at a later stop? What about skipping the first train entirely and only boarding the RJ to Vienna at Villach?
Old Jul 24, 2019, 9:11 am

I'm not sure what the real rules are, but given that ticket checks are not done when entering a train, but by the conductor walking through the train, in reality nobody can know if you really skipped the train or not. It might just have been, that the conductor didn't reach your seat to check the ticket.
At least in Germany with Deutsche Bahn there isn't even a rule, that you have to use the ticket as booked, and i would assume that ÖBB has similar rules as DB.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 12:04 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
There are no ticket barriers and you are on two separate trains, so even if there is a restriction it is basically unenforceable.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 4:24 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
What sort of physical ticket do you have? Is it separate ones for each leg? I had a 7 (individual) day pass in Switzerland and it was on one ticket. The conductor would punch a hole through the card and we'd have to write the travel date in by hand before boarding the train. There were seat reservations which were all individual cards. If your case is similar then they would probably only be looking that your ticket is valid for that train. If they do ask anything, just say you missed the train and had to make your own way to this connection!
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:36 am

There is actually no way a railway can prove that you did not take a particular train (unless you actually admit this yourself). So if if there was requirement you do all segments in order (like with air travel) it is not enforceable.
In practice no one will care. Trains operate on a "Proof of Payment" principle. All the conductor cares about when he checks your ticket is that you have paid, and are entitled to be on that train.

Before SBB started selling supersaver tickets people actually often bought tickets from points in Germany to take advantage of DB's Sparpreis. Eg. buying Freiburg - Lugano, and then using this to only travel Basel to Lugano.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.