Taking advantage of DB's stops feature

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2018, 5:54 am
:D!
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Taking advantage of DB's stops feature

I need to take a train from Duesseldorf to Stuttgart. Ordinarily it would be all on an ICE and there would be no flexibility with a discounted ticket.

If I add stopovers at Kamen (necessary to avoid being put on ICE) and Wuppertal, I am offered a schedule of RB/RE services from Duesseldorf to Koeln, where I pick up the ICE for the rest of the journey. The price is the same.

But instead of going on the direct line taken by IC trains, it routes me on a big loop around the Ruhr, initially towards Duisburg (i.e. heading off in the opposite direction to Stuttgart) then Dortmund and Hagen.

From my understanding, I have to take the specific ICE train from Koeln to Stuttgart. Are there any restrictions on the local services, do I need to follow the suggested itinerary?

Can I break my journey as often as I like and stop off at any station? If yes, this would be a big saving as I want to go to some of these towns and cities in the morning-afternoon before heading to Stuttgart in the evening. I would otherwise need to get a VRR day ticket in addition to the long-distance train ticket.

What would the ticket say and how would an inspector decide whether I am off-route?

Can I take buses or trams if they are heading in the correct direction? One of the RE trains passes through Oberbarmen-Wuppertal Hbf-Vohwinkel. Can I take the Schwebebahn instead?
Old Oct 16, 2018, 5:48 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
You may want to look into a landesticket, which lets you travel an area on local trains for a low price.

Also- bahn.de has an advance search feature where you exclude ICE trains from the search.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Sometimes, just sometimes, when I put in a stop at Frankfurt Flughafen, but with no time spent at the stop, I get a much better and lower price. It’s worth playing around with stopovers, especially at the red and blue machines in the stations if you have time. Avoid evening connections, DB has become extremely unreliable.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by :D!

If I add stopovers at Kamen (necessary to avoid being put on ICE) and Wuppertal, I am offered a schedule of RB/RE services from Duesseldorf to Koeln, where I pick up the ICE for the rest of the journey. The price is the same.
I've been to Wuppertal! Gotta love those suspension trains.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
That’s the Schwebebahn, where the railcar hangs underneath the line along which it runs. Probably better known as a “suspension railway”. There is also one in Dresden and one linking Düsseldorf airport to the airport train station, called the SkyTrain.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 10:54 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Einmal im Leben durch Wuppertal schweben

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.