Wiki Posts
Search

Thalys E-ticket

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2018, 4:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Thalys E-ticket

Thalys is offering the choice of e-tickets to be made available on the SNCB International app thereby forgoing the need to print the e-tickets.

To confirm, if I take advantage of this, there won't be a need to validate since it will be impossible to use the yellow validation machines on my phone? Second, I'll be able to go through turnstiles (assuming there are any) at both Paris Gare du Nord for my trip to Dortmund and at Schiphol for my trip to Gare du Nord if use the SNCB app for the rail tickets?

I just want to verify both. Thanks.
Old May 1, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Schiphol airport train station has no barriers, you just walk down to the platform from the plaza. Tickets will likely be checked on the train (on Thalys; rarely on NS).

I assume e-ticketing is compatible with train barriers in some way; scan the barcode on the phone screen is a common way.
Old May 2, 2018, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by Analise
Thalys is offering the choice of e-tickets to be made available on the SNCB International app thereby forgoing the need to print the e-tickets.

To confirm, if I take advantage of this, there won't be a need to validate since it will be impossible to use the yellow validation machines on my phone? Second, I'll be able to go through turnstiles (assuming there are any) at both Paris Gare du Nord for my trip to Dortmund and at Schiphol for my trip to Gare du Nord if use the SNCB app for the rail tickets?

I just want to verify both. Thanks.
It has never been necessary to validate Thalys tickets in Belgium, Germany and the Netherlands. And this for all types of tickets. In France it has only been necessary for conventional tickets, not for e-tickets. You can't put e-tickets in the validators in France anyways, and there are no ticket validators in Schiphol.

There are no turnstiles at Gare Du Nord, but in a bout of insanity they have introduced security theatre there. So you need to queue for a pointless luggage scan.
Old May 4, 2018, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KayVeeBee
There are no turnstiles at Gare Du Nord, but in a bout of insanity they have introduced security theatre there. So you need to queue for a pointless luggage scan.
Really….

So the luggage is put on conveyor belts like at airports or are these done by hand….please tell me it's the former.

For a Sunday morning 7:50 train to Germany, how early should we arrive at this queue?
Old May 5, 2018, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by Analise
Really….

So the luggage is put on conveyor belts like at airports or are these done by hand….please tell me it's the former.

For a Sunday morning 7:50 train to Germany, how early should we arrive at this queue?
Yes, your luggage goes through an x-ray machine. It’s outrageous really, and I tend to be as uncooperative as possible in such cases. The ticket still only mentions I must be on The platform 2 minutes before departure, so I usually go there 5 minutes beforehand.

Old May 5, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Be careful at Gare du Nord. A few years ago I was harassed while standing alone in the station. Just a guy trying to aggressively engage me in conversation and sort of circling around me. He quickly vanished when my husband walked up to me.

Gare du Nord is a large station, I would arrive 30 minutes early to get bearings and figure out where to go for security, then which track your train will be waiting on.
Old May 9, 2018, 7:47 pm

Programs: Flying Blue (plat), Eurobonus (gold), Accor (plat), Bonvoy (plat)
Yes, your luggage goes through an x-ray machine. It’s outrageous really, and I tend to be as uncooperative as possible in such cases.
That's pretty quick actually, as there are 3 or 4 lanes and there's no requirement to leave anything (computers, etc) - anyway the platform number won't be displayed before 20 min before departure. Not sure if anybody has ever missed a Thalys due to these controls. Even if that still is theatre (just like in Spain by the way). The Belgians also do it altough that's at random times and selecting random people - but if you board the very same train at either Amsterdam of Köln nobody will harrass you).
Old May 25, 2018, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dianne47
Be careful at Gare du Nord. A few years ago I was harassed while standing alone in the station. Just a guy trying to aggressively engage me in conversation and sort of circling around me. He quickly vanished when my husband walked up to me.
Were there people near you? Terrible. At this point of my trip, my husband will be with me.

Gare du Nord is a large station, I would arrive 30 minutes early to get bearings and figure out where to go for security, then which track your train will be waiting on.
Thanks Dianne. I've been there once and took the the RER to CDG. I have never taken a Thalys train so I want to get my bearings so I know the track location and security without looking like a clueless tourist with a bullseye mark on my forehead.

Is there one main area in which the security X-ray machines are located or are there multiple locations and you go to the one closest to your platform?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.