Wiki Posts
Search

Spain Renfe questions- thank you

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2017, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest, Hilton
Spain Renfe questions- thank you

I would like to go to Madrid and Seville and maybe somehow see a coastal city in southern Spain. I would love to take the train. I see that Renfe offers some good deals but I don't know how convenient the trains are for what I want to see. Also, it seems that once you buy a pass, that there is a reservation charge of up to 75 euros. Maybe I don't understand this but if I use the train 8 times, this will add quite a bit to the cost. Any Renfe experts that could give me a general idea?

I don't really enjoy packing and unpacking but am great with public transportation if I could find some Spanish cities to do day trips from that would be super.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 1:07 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
I'd argue that passes are not a great deal on renfe and you're better off booking point-to-point tickets. Madrid to Seville, the train is definitely your best option. Check ticket prices on their site, and book in advance, as prices go up as departure gets closer, just like for airlines.

Non-HS trains are cheaper than HS trains.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by mphall
Also, it seems that once you buy a pass, that there is a reservation charge of up to 75 euros. Maybe I don't understand this but if I use the train 8 times, this will add quite a bit to the cost. Any Renfe experts that could give me a general idea?
Are you talking about the Renfe Spain Pass? If so, I don't understand what you mean by the reservation charge. You buy the pass for the number of journeys you require (4, 6, 8 or 10) then the reservations you make for each train are free.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 5:10 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
I would just buy tickets since you may only need a couple of high speed journeys and the rest would be media distancia or local trains which are cheap

If you based yourself in Seville you could do daytrips to Cordoba, Jerez, Cadiz.

From Madrid a good daytrip is Toledo
Old Jan 26, 2017, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Reservation charge

i Can buy rail pass but it costs between 12 and 75 Euros for reservation.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 2:15 am

i Can buy rail pass but it costs between 12 and 75 Euros for reservation.
Yes, you already said that. But you still haven't told us which pass you are talking about.

As said earlier, with a Renfe pass there should be no extra cost for reservations. But if you are talking about some Eurail (or Interail or whatever they are called) pass there are indeed extra costs if taking long distance trains in Spain.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Renfe rail pass

The woman from Renfe said that in addition to railpass, you have to get a reservation and there is an additional cost. If I find the email, I will post it.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 11:56 pm

The woman from Renfe said that in addition to railpass, you have to get a reservation and there is an additional cost. If I find the email, I will post it.
The page on the Renfe Spain Pass on their website says that the reservation is "sin cargo" (without cost): https://venta.renfe.com/vol/index2.jsp?U=SP2S

Strangly enough the same page in English doesn't mention that detail: https://venta.renfe.com/vol/index2.jsp?U=SP2N (but the Fench one does).
Old Jan 30, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
OK thanks. But we need to know what sort of "railpass" you would have. Is it a Renfe rail pass, a Eurail pass, an Interrail pass, or another type?

Railpasses aren't all the same and there may be an additional cost if you have one but not if you have another type. Also, some railpasses are valid for a specific number of journeys, and others are valid for any number of journeys during a specific number of days, for example.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.