Reload this Page >

Most Scenic rail route from Strasbourg to Vienna

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most Scenic rail route from Strasbourg to Vienna

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2017, 8:33 am

I'm sure we can all design more - dare I say - long-winded scenic routes, but I expect the OP would prefer something within the bounds of reasonableness that doesn't require multiple changes of train.

I did (most of) this journey recently in both directions: Mulhouse - Basel - Zurich - Vienna before Easter and the reverse after Easter. At Basel, I had plenty of time to change trains and was able to catch an earlier train to Zurich than planned. As Alsacienne explains, there is a short walk from the French side of the station through to the main station. You pass through the now empty and somewhat bleak customs/immigration hall, seemingly straight out of a Cold War film (although this was never, of course, a Cold War border).

On the Railjet from Zurich to Vienna, the two most stunning stretches of scenery are, IMO: in Switzerland, along the southern shore of Walensee, just over half-an-hour after leaving Zurich; and in Austria, the climb up from Bludenz to the western portal of the Arlberg tunnel.

To get the best views, clearly, you need a window seat. In business class, on the Railjet, because the facing seats in the mini-compartments are offset, only one seat in each compartment is flush with the window. (The seat opposite is set back somewhat from the window, partly limiting the range of view). The best seats, therefore, IMO, are numbers 26 and 35 in the compartments of 4 seats, and 16 and 45 in the compartments of 3 seats. There are also two individual window seats, 51 and 55, but these are located either side of the door through into first class. It doesn't bother me in which direction I sit, but if you want to be forward-facing, the window seats on departure from Zurich are numbers 35 and 45, since under normal operating conditions the business class coach is located at the rear of the train.

Last edited by railways; Apr 29, 2017 at 2:43 pm
Old Apr 30, 2017, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Yes Railways, you are correct, that is a little too many connections to make when my 78 yr old mother will be with us. And thanks for the detailed help in how to do the booking. It has been something have been struggling with but in the end I guess is not that big of deal for the strasbourg to Basel leg to be on a separate ticket. And thanks for the seat number suggestions too, I have looked at the seat selection online and wondered about the offset looking ones.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 2:04 pm

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm looking at making this same journey at the end of November.

I'm not asking anyone to predict the weather, but I'm wondering whether the route over the Arlberg Pass late fall/early winter is still scenic. Is it more likely to be a "winter wonderland" or just monotonous grey skies and obstructive cloud cover?

I don't have an abundance of time, so I'm currently debating between the daytime railjet and the overnight nightjet. If the scenery is still fantastic, that leads me to favor the daytime journey.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.