Riding "local" Monteux to Laussane issue

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2016, 6:35 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Riding "local" Monteux to Laussane issue

I was riding on a "local" on Monday, 10/10/16 between Monteux and Lausanne around 16:00 (4 pm), lots of students boarded at intermediate stops (even riding in 1st class, with most likely a 2nd class ticket); they were using their iphones (or similar devices) to play loud music.
I was listening to their conversations, they were NOT speaking FRENCH (this IS a French speaking area) or GERMAN--what language would it have been
Old Oct 17, 2016, 6:51 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
English
Swiss German
Hebrew if they were coming from a Jewish School
Italian
Japanese - or another Asian Language if they are in a Asian Language immersion course
Russian
any language possibly depending on their cultural mix
Old Oct 17, 2016, 6:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Romansh (spelling?) the fourth official language of Switzerland.

More seriously, my guess would be Chinese. Mainland China is sending a lot of students abroad.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 9:50 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Romansh (spelling?) the fourth official language of Switzerland.

More seriously, my guess would be Chinese. Mainland China is sending a lot of students abroad.
They were NOT Orientals.
Romansch is mostly spoken in Eastern Switz.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 2:37 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
As adampenrith said, it could be any number of languages. There's a lot of movement of people in Europe these days...

However, are you sure it wasn't Swiss German? Some of the dialects can be seriously far from Hochdeutsch...
Old Oct 18, 2016, 4:18 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stut
As adampenrith said, it could be any number of languages. There's a lot of movement of people in Europe these days...

However, are you sure it wasn't Swiss German? Some of the dialects can be seriously far from Hochdeutsch...
I've ridden on trains in that area a lot (but NOT on locals), the major language spoken is FRENCH.
Though one of the students, trying to panhandle money asked if I spoke Deutsch, when I said ENGLISH, he moved to another seat.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 4:25 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by nrr
I've ridden on trains in that area a lot (but NOT on locals), the major language spoken is FRENCH.
Though one of the students, trying to panhandle money asked if I spoke Deutsch, when I said ENGLISH, he moved to another seat.
Yup, it's a predominantly French-speaking canton.

Looking at the university exchange programme, they could well be from an awful lot of places:

http://sac.epfl.ch/partner-universities-IN

But one was trying to get money from you? That's odd behaviour. They were definitely students?
Old Oct 19, 2016, 11:15 am

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
The first or second stop after Montreux, there is St. George school, an English education institution with also many russian students. I doubt that you hear much german on these trains.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Bit late to the thread here. That's the train régional, which I used to use all the time to get to Territet just by Montreux. Now I really avoid it like the plague, because I really hate the scummy people you get on it. I try to get the fast train to Montreux and take the bus to Territet. The régional has become dreadful. Watch your pockets and your back on that train. Over the last 12 years this train has transformed into something unrecognizable, like most of Switzerland has anyway.

I'm not talking about the kids that get on at Burier (from the gymnase de Burier), they're just kids/students and they can be boisterous, but are harmless.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 8:13 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by Concerto
Over the last 12 years this train has transformed into something unrecognizable, like most of Switzerland has anyway.
You name it Concerto, the sad state of today's Switzerland at the mercy of the EU without being able to participate to it, made many Swiss nationals leave already. And yes, local trains in the "Suisse Romande" can be dreadful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.