Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TGV Lyria Zurich-Paris

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2015, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

TGV Lyria Zurich-Paris

Has anyone taken this recently. Looking to take it next summer - probably in 1st class. Was wondering of anyone would share their experience?
Old Feb 1, 2015, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I take it quite often, however only the domestic portion Dijon-Paris. I've taken it once or twice from Dijon to Zurich in the past though.

If you book in 1st, you will be given a nice meal at your seat. Otherwise not much to say. It's a comfortable but long trip.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stimpy
I take it quite often, however only the domestic portion Dijon-Paris. I've taken it once or twice from Dijon to Zurich in the past though.

If you book in 1st, you will be given a nice meal at your seat. Otherwise not much to say. It's a comfortable but long trip.
Should be about 4 hours - comparable to flying I think?
Can anyone review the train itself (1st class) - seats, bathrooms, etc. Does it have wifi? Are any seats better than others?
Thanks
Old Feb 20, 2015, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dcpremex
Should be about 4 hours - comparable to flying I think?
Can anyone review the train itself (1st class) - seats, bathrooms, etc. Does it have wifi? Are any seats better than others?
The seats are big and comfortable, but do not recline very much. There is a fold down tray. There are 4 types of seats and it's up to you what you like. I like the 2 seats side by side and hopefully the seat next to me will be empty. Maybe try to avoid sitting next to the bar car due to all the foot traffic.

4 seats around a table.
2 seats around a table.
2 seats side by side.
1 seat all alone.

There's no WiFi on this line. I think they have it on the Strasbourg run so you could travel first to Strasbourg and change to the Paris-Est line. Personally I just use the 4G at places where it works. There's a stop for several minutes in Dijon where you can download mail, etc. And as you approach Paris you can access 4G.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 4:56 am
Suspended

I would take an 1class only. Its much more stress less. No drunked people and if anythink hardened you have no problems.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ToGo
I would take an 1class only. Its much more stress less. No drunked people and if anythink hardened you have no problems.
While I agree with 1st class, I would say you won't find drunken troublemakers on the Lyria. Especially not during the day. It's not quite the same as a domestic TGV run. Plus the police pass through the cars before and after you cross the border, sizing people up and doing the occasional baggage inspection.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 6:03 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
For general info on what the TGV Lyrias are like, I'd suggest the dedicated Seat61.com page on TGV Lyria as a good starting point
Old Feb 20, 2015, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gagravarr
For general info on what the TGV Lyrias are like, I'd suggest the dedicated Seat61.com page on TGV Lyria as a good starting point
I gave a quick look at that page and saw several errors. So maybe not a great resource.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 1:54 pm
Suspended

And there are many ads...
Old Feb 21, 2015, 5:41 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Mark Smith (the man in Seat 61) is generally very good about fixing errors if you let him know, and very friendly, so I'd suggest dropping him a quick email if you see something wrong
Old Feb 21, 2015, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gagravarr
Mark Smith (the man in Seat 61) is generally very good about fixing errors if you let him know, and very friendly, so I'd suggest dropping him a quick email if you see something wrong
There are loads of travel websites and I'm sure many of them are run by very nice people. But I couldn't possible analyze them all. I use one and one only. Flyertalk is the best resource for anything travel.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 4:50 pm

I rode Geneva to Paris in 1st and had a great time. Excellent views, too
Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
There are loads of travel websites and I'm sure many of them are run by very nice people. But I couldn't possible analyze them all. I use one and one only. Flyertalk is the best resource for anything travel.
Seat61 is not one of those "loads of travel websites" when it comes to train travel. It was useful suggestion by a fellow FT. You are of course within your rights not to take up a helpful suggestions. ZUrich - Paris by train is actually quicker than flying, city center to city center and lot less stressful. You will enjoy it whether you take 1st class or not.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by desi
Seat61 is not one of those "loads of travel websites" when it comes to train travel. It was useful suggestion by a fellow FT. You are of course within your rights not to take up a helpful suggestions. ZUrich - Paris by train is actually quicker than flying, city center to city center and lot less stressful. You will enjoy it whether you take 1st class or not.
I think you misread. I posted that the seat61 site has errors. If they want a quality site they should fix the misinformation on their own without needing my help. And people should use a more reliable site, such as Flyertalk where people who actually travel regularly give timely updates and reviews. I get the impression that whoever wrote the Lyria notes on the seat61 site took the train once, made some notes (with errors) and never took it again. Why would you trust such a site when you have Flyertalk?

And I know the train is better than flying. As I posted above I take the Lyria regularly and will be on it again Monday morning.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 2:43 am
Suspended

Why would you trust such a site when you have Flyertalk?
Amen Brother!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.