Community
Wiki Posts
Search

train tickets online via Loco2.com

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2015, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

train tickets online via Loco2.com

I found the link for loco2.com on the website of ?seat62? (not 100% on the name but a GREAT website.).

My question is, is this a reliable website? Has anyone used it?

I am asking because the prices are very low! I planned out my entire trip and making about 9 trips by rail and was still below a 5 day eurail or spain pass.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
I'd suggest you search the European Rail Travel FT forum for Loco2, you'll see quite a few discussions (positive) about them!

I have used them a number of times, and always found them excellent. On the rare occasion when I've had to contact them, they've been great. On the rare occasion when my train has been cancelled (due to French rail strikes), they sent me helpful information on rebooking.

I suspect the website you have in mind for rail information is Seat61.com (Full title - The Man Seat 61).
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gagravarr

I suspect the website you have in mind for rail information is Seat61.com (Full title - The Man Seat 61).
yes thats it! great site and full of helpful info.

Thanks for the response. I found loco2.com a great help in planning my rail travel.

One thing I learned is that a rail pass is not the most economical way to manage rail travel. Unless of course you want complete flexibility in terms of days you travel. But if you can plan your trip relatively well you can save quite a bit of money by purchasing individual routes.

I used loco2.com to plan an entire 15 days trip with about 9 days of rail travel and came out less than a 5 day rail pass by over $100 USD.

Traveling within Spain for 9 days came out to about $214, a eruail pass for 5 days is $391. Granted, I am tied to traveling exactly at the days of the purchased fare but with those $100 saved I can splurge at at least one fancy restaurant before I head home.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 7:18 pm
Suspended

1) You can finde many discount tickets on the RENFE Webseite who never sell on differen Platforms.
2) Many Trains need a Seat Reservation do you have one?
Old Feb 18, 2015, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by ToGo
1) You can finde many discount tickets on the RENFE Webseite who never sell on differen Platforms.
except that loco2 can do that now
Old Feb 18, 2015, 7:05 am
Suspended

loco2.com: Ł36.50 = 50€
Renfe: 34€
Old Feb 19, 2015, 1:08 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
If you've found a case when RENFE is selling for a lower price than Loco2 (modulo tiny bits for exchange rates), drop Loco2 and email ([email protected]) and let them know which train it's for. They're very good at investigating, and shouting at their upstream supplying rail companies if they've messed things up.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 4:53 am
Suspended

just look on Renfe the are many cheaper offer..
Old Mar 29, 2015, 3:11 pm

I've only used loco2 to compare prices, but the negative about using this site is that you do not know what seat you will get until AFTER you've booked and paid.

The same is true for the raileurope site. I would have thought that booking in March for a trip in July would get us seats next to each other (only two of us), but we did not. We are close by, but not next to each other which I find odd. We were also not able to indicate a preference of top or bottom level.

I booked tickets on capitaintrain.com (works only for France originating tickets) and was able to indicate top level and we saw the seats before checking out and, thus, got exactly what we wanted.

Last edited by Loungeact; Mar 29, 2015 at 3:23 pm
Old Mar 29, 2015, 3:15 pm
Suspended

loco2 is rubbish!
The have not one Railplus Discount.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 7:58 pm

I'm told that SNCF offer two different APIs to third party booking systems, one of which supports the full range of loyalty cards (eg Carte Voyageur, Eurostar Frequent Traveller) and allows pre-booking seat selection, the other one doesn't but is vaguely sensible to program against. Loco2 use the later, partly in the interest of their own sanity, but I hear they are trying to switch on the former so they can do seats + loyalty cards.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 2:19 am
Suspended

I Talk about Rail Plus thats the Basic who every Railway Operator in Europe support.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by ToGo
I Talk about Rail Plus thats the Basic who every Railway Operator in Europe support.
never heard of it, please elaborate
Old Mar 30, 2015, 2:57 pm
Suspended

here is a list from the ÖBB which Railway Operator have Railplus fares:
http://www.oebb.at/static/tarife/sci...tml#2071970187
that mean if you have an Railplus Card you get 25% Discount when you drive troth an Boarderstation with an "Default Ticket". So you can save money with!
Old Apr 3, 2015, 7:59 am

Programs: Many
You can also try www.capitainetrain.com

Nice interface and terrific customer service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.