Wiki Posts
Search

Paris / Gare Du Nord /Metro

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club
Paris / Gare Du Nord /Metro

I just wanted to reflect after 20 / 30 trips from London to Paris in the last few months on how grateful I am for the service TfL provide and maybe I don't mind higher ticket prices.

Gare Du Nord
- queues are horrendous, Taxi's, ticket machines that work, ticket offices (which are open), cash points. Every sensible means of escape from the station when you don't have a ticket is blocked by a huge slow moving queue.
- most ticket machines won't accept my post office platinum card or any other foreign cards, none of them accept cash and some ticket windows won't accept cash either

Metro / RER
- the stations and trains stink. I found out why after witnessing a gentleman urinate in the corner of an RER train. Who needs toilets when you can use the train?
- I have had entire Carnet's of tickets just stop working and had to queue in yet more massive queues to get them exchanged. "do not keep them near anything" I was told by one official (now that I have perfected my electro magnet matter encapsulater, I should be fine)
- many people appear not to pay for the train and jump over the barrier or tailgate people who have

I cannot even begin to count the number of ticket trauma's I have had at Gare Du Nord and La Defense. Despite my frustrations with their ailing transport system, which includes a free, underground, moving urinal , I still love the city of Paris and will miss it when I finish this project. Especially my runs from La Defense to Arc de Triomphe.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
What????
Old Oct 3, 2014, 2:51 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I feel your pain... I'm also in Paris Monday to Friday (we should have a beer!). I get the Eurostar, and then the RER B down to Robinson.

The trains don't seem to have any particular timetable (same with the busses). The equivalent of the TfL app gives a route and a time, but that just seems to be fixed, so bares no resemblance to reality. You can be waiting 30 minutes for a bus that's supposed to run every 8-15 minutes.

I started getting a taxi, but the taxi drivers are so useless I gave up. The last one ignored my pleas to stop at the hotel I wanted and just followed his SatNav. 20 minutes later we turned into a quiet residential street with the SatNav proudly announcing that we'd arrived. "Hotel not here!" said the driver.

You also get charged for waiting/travelling time in taxis. I got one from the office that already had €23 on the clock

Nothing seems to work, or get fixed. The hotel lift was out of service for 3 weeks. The toilets in the office have had no soap for a week. Everything about it has me proclaiming "Bloody France!!!!".

The most surprising thing for me though is how nice the French people are I'd heard all sorts of horror stories, but they've been great - especially as I speak absolutely no French.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 4:24 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
The timetable/reality thing seems to be Paris rather than France - I've found that in Lille, the printed timetables and online journey planner are both pretty much spot on with what happens.

Not everything is perfect in Lille though, for example a lot of the routes have different weekday timetables for school holidays and term time, but only a handful of the bus stops list what the term dates are...
Old Oct 3, 2014, 6:24 am

Programs: 8 mm lifetime,1K, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Pick pockets

I might add to be extremely vigilant about pickpockets at du Nord!
They hang by the exit s and newcomers often get confused on the taxi pick up and drop off locations. Saw a grab and run scheme there
Old Oct 5, 2014, 12:46 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
You can be waiting 30 minutes for a bus that's supposed to run every 8-15 minutes.
Happens in London too.

Originally Posted by Gagravarr
The timetable/reality thing seems to be Paris rather than France - I've found that in Lille, the printed timetables and online journey planner are both pretty much spot on with what happens.

Not everything is perfect in Lille though, for example a lot of the routes have different weekday timetables for school holidays and term time, but only a handful of the bus stops list what the term dates are...
I don't think any bus stops in London tell you school term dates. While there are dedicated 6XX school routes (which are not limited to schoolchildren) as well as some timetables which differ on school days, many regular routes effectively become "school" routes at some time between 1500-1600. And unless you live in that suburb there is really no way of knowing until you see 100 schoolkids spilling over the kerb at the next bus stop...
Old Oct 5, 2014, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
I feel your pain... I'm also in Paris Monday to Friday (we should have a beer!). I get the Eurostar, and then the RER B down to Robinson.

The trains don't seem to have any particular timetable (same with the busses). The equivalent of the TfL app gives a route and a time, but that just seems to be fixed, so bares no resemblance to reality. You can be waiting 30 minutes for a bus that's supposed to run every 8-15 minutes.

I started getting a taxi, but the taxi drivers are so useless I gave up. The last one ignored my pleas to stop at the hotel I wanted and just followed his SatNav. 20 minutes later we turned into a quiet residential street with the SatNav proudly announcing that we'd arrived. "Hotel not here!" said the driver.

You also get charged for waiting/travelling time in taxis. I got one from the office that already had €23 on the clock

Nothing seems to work, or get fixed. The hotel lift was out of service for 3 weeks. The toilets in the office have had no soap for a week. Everything about it has me proclaiming "Bloody France!!!!".

The most surprising thing for me though is how nice the French people are I'd heard all sorts of horror stories, but they've been great - especially as I speak absolutely no French.
EUR 23 sounds extreme for a prebooked taxi how long did they wait??
Cheers
Howie
Old Oct 7, 2014, 12:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
I buy a carnet of metro tickets on the Eurostar in the cafe (or even at St Pancras) to save queuing.

For getting around town, I have found Über works very well in Paris. The prices are competitive, drivers are polite and you can even select a minivan if there are a few of you. I just fire up the app and it works seamlessly with my UK credit card - no cash needed.

And a €65 flat rate from our office at Rue Miromesnil to CDG which is similar to what I'd pay to get out of London to LHR.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 12:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
I buy a carnet of metro tickets on the Eurostar in the cafe (or even at St Pancras) to save queuing.

For getting around town, I have found Über works very well in Paris. The prices are competitive, drivers are polite and you can even select a minivan if there are a few of you. I just fire up the app and it works seamlessly with my UK credit card - no cash needed.

And a €65 flat rate from our office at Rue Miromesnil to CDG which is similar to what I'd pay to get out of London to LHR.
Do they sell zone 2 tickets? My normal trip is Paris to La Defense so the Carnet normally costs EUR 21.20.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 3:45 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Uber were just as bad as G7 in my experience. Constently getting lost.

One Uber driver dropped me at the hotel. I went onto the app to check the price, and noticed he was still driving around - effectively with the meter on. I got the receipt about 10 minutes later. He probably got another €15 for that little con trick.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 2:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Uber were just as bad as G7 in my experience. Constently getting lost.

One Uber driver dropped me at the hotel. I went onto the app to check the price, and noticed he was still driving around - effectively with the meter on. I got the receipt about 10 minutes later. He probably got another €15 for that little con trick.
Really? Well I haven't experienced that. Did you tell Uber? I have found their customer service to be very good - once in London a driver got clearly lost, I complained and I had a refund within the hour.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 3:44 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Really? Well I haven't experienced that. Did you tell Uber? I have found their customer service to be very good - once in London a driver got clearly lost, I complained and I had a refund within the hour.
Same here - had a fairly low-level scam in Chennai, contacted Uber, they refunded the entire fare and gave me a small credit.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 2:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
For me it's TGV-Lyria and the Gare de Lyon but it's pretty much the same story. The guard and snack bar are supposed to sell RATP tickets, but never have any.
The ticket machines at the Gare de Lyon are always all broken bar one and there's a big long line in front of it.
At the ticket counter, there's one counter open with twenty people looking over the shoulder of the one person trying to serve, instead of opening additional counters. Count 20-30 minutes to just get a metro ticket.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 3:41 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I can never reliably get them on the Eurostar. I tend to keep one ticket t+ left over from a previous trip in my travel wallet, so I can leave the ticket-buying for a quieter station...

As for zone 2 tickets, no, you can't get those on the Eurostar. I'm assuming you want to get the RER to La Défense (bear in mind that the ticket t+ are valid to all metro stations, regardless of zone).
Old Oct 15, 2014, 3:52 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Eurostar used to also sell metro ticket carnets from the information desk inside security at St Pancras, but I haven't tried there recently. Last time I did they had huge numbers available, loads more than on the train.

At Gare du Nord, the queues for the metro ticket machines just downstairs by where you get off the Eurostart (and most TGVs) are always bad. Your best bet is normally to walk along past those towards the RER, and when you come out into the large area there are lots more machines which rarely have a queue. IIRC you can find another ticket office somewhere round there too

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.