Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Catching Trains in Austria

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

Catching Trains in Austria

I am not very familiar with catching trains in Europe, so just a couple of simple questions.

I want to catch the train from Feldkirch to Vienna.

Below are the options I am looking at.

Why is the 10:16 departure so much cheaper?

I guess there will be no issues with the 4 minute connection time, e.g. The second train won't depart until the first train arrives (?).

Many thanks for this.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 1:27 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by DanielW
Why is the 10:16 departure so much cheaper?
Short answer: who knows?
Slightly longer answer: these days, ticket prices for most long-distance trains in Europe are 'yield-managed', meaning prices increase based on demand. So, presumably the EC163 and RJ563 have more (predicted?) availability on that route on that day, than the various direct options. Note the EC is I think officially a lower category of train than the RailJet (but some people would claim that in 2nd class, the EC seats are more comfortable than those on the RJ...)

Originally Posted by DanielW
I guess there will be no issues with the 4 minute connection time, e.g. The second train won't depart until the first train arrives (?).
It seems EC163 arrives on platform 7 at Innsbruck Hbf, and RJ563 departs from platform 6. These are directly adjacent to each other, so you can just walk a few metres from one train to the next (no need to go down any tunnels, etc - unless the platforms get changed at the last minute). And yes, I assume they would normally hold the RJ departure for a few minutes if necessary, to ensure that all pax have made it across from the EC. However, if the EC is significantly late, then they probably wouldn't hold the RJ - but then your ticket would be valid on the next train to Vienna.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 3:25 am
Suspended

more "free" Seats.
I would take only a 1Class Ticket!

Please note the Railjet is NO official Train connection. If you EC is late you have to wait for the next. So if you book 1Class there is nice Lounge where you can wait. (The Toilette is so gross in Innsbruck...)

And this Ticket is non Flexible it mean if you leave the EC you have to buy a new Ticket. And if you want take a later Train search from "Buchs SG" or "Zürich" to Vienna thats an International Ticket.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 3:44 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Have I tempted to you into visiting Liechtenstein?

I think it's probably cheaper because it's a connection at an off-peak time - direct trains and peak times are almost always more expensive than connections and off-peaks.

The RJ may or may not wait if the EC is late, it tends to vary on how 'official' the connection is - if lots of people are ticketed to change between the two trains it's more likely the connection will be held. But the RJ might not be held for fear of it missing it's path and thus running slowly and ending up very delayed. So I think ToGo is probably right about it not being held. But, as KQ says, your ticket should then be valid on the next train though you might have to go to the ticket office to get it endorsed.

If you are worried about it you can always ask the website for a longer connection in Innsbruck - it's under more options on the page where you enter the details.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 4:02 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by ToGo
Please note the Railjet is NO official Train connection. If you EC is late you have to wait for the next.
Are you saying ÖBB will never hold a Railjet in order for passengers on a late-running train to make a connection? And if so, is this a written policy anywhere, or just common practice?

And this Ticket is non Flexible it mean if you leave the EC you have to buy a new Ticket.
Indeed, the discounted €29 ticket will be entirely non-flexible. I assume by 'leave the EC' you mean if the OP misses his train in Feldkirch? (In which case, he would indeed forfeit the ticket). However, if the EC is late into Innsbruck, then the OP would be allowed to take the next train to Vienna (assuming the journey has been booked as one ticket).
Old Aug 15, 2014, 6:04 am
Suspended

Are you saying ÖBB will never hold a Railjet in order for passengers on a late-running train to make a connection? And if so, is this a written policy anywhere, or just common practice?
the rule is the Railjet should never have any delay. So if the Track is free an no other slower Train would use the Track the Railjet will wait but is there an Local Train the Railjet (and other Long-distance Trains) cant wait.

Yes is the German EC delaying the OP can use the next one. So i prefered the buy a 1Class Ticket 1) its mmuucchhh more completable 2) the have Lounge Access in Innsbruck and Vienna (when he arrive).
If you are worried about it you can always ask the website for a longer connection in Innsbruck - it's under more options on the page where you enter the details.
the op can add a via connection i would do it just when i want to see something in Innsbruck.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the help, guys.

Originally Posted by KQ321
Slightly longer answer: these days, ticket prices for most long-distance trains in Europe are 'yield-managed', meaning prices increase based on demand.
Amazing to see such a big price difference, I thought it was so cheap because you had to volunteer to stoke the boiler or something.

Originally Posted by exilencfc
Have I tempted to you into visiting Liechtenstein?
Yes, looks like a very picturesque place, and the 20CHF chicken curry was the clincher.

I would take only a 1Class Ticket!

Please note the Railjet is NO official Train connection. If you EC is late you have to wait for the next. So if you book 1Class there is nice Lounge where you can wait. (The Toilette is so gross in Innsbruck...)
1st class was only 10 euro's more (39 euro's) so was an easy decision.

Last edited by DanielW; Aug 15, 2014 at 7:02 am
Old Aug 15, 2014, 2:56 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
I hope you like your rice very sticky indeed

The extra 10 euros for first is well worth it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.