Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling Budapest -Salzburg-Stuttgart New Year's Day

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Traveling Budapest -Salzburg-Stuttgart New Year's Day

We will be traveling by rail from Budapest to Stuttgart on January 1. (Already have tickets). Will there be food service available on the trains or in the stations?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:48 pm

Presumably you are travelling on a Railjet via Munich and onward on an ICE or IC.

On the Railjet and ICE there should definitely be catering (I have travelled on both on New Year's Day and the service has generally been the same as on "normal" days) - both have a restaurant/bistro. I recommend the RJ for very reasonably-priced meals and drinks (currently operated by Do&Co under the brand name Henry am Zug).

If you are travelling in First class from Budapest to Salzburg or Munich on the RJ, I would also recommend upgrading to Business class on board (subject to availability, but shouldn't be a problem) - €15 per person for a much better seat. (Note that unlike on airlines, Business is a higher class than First. )

In First and Business you can be served food/drinks at your seat; in economy, there is a trolley service of drinks and snacks. Otherwise, you can visit the restaurant.

On the ICE, there will be a reastaurant or bistro on board and again if you are in First there will be service at your seat. For sample menus see the DB website (sorry, but haven't time to locate the link!).
Old Nov 17, 2012, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks railways- not sure what class we are- probably not first. We will look at the DB site for menus. Just wanted to make sure there would be some food available. Trying to realize this will not be like Amtrak!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by marion10
[...]in the stations?
Yes, most everything (including supermarket in Salzburg Hbf.) should be open.

I must recommend the restraunt (first on the left as you enter) at Budapest Keleti, its something from another time but quite decent and the staff is great.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Originally Posted by ofto

I must recommend the restraunt (first on the left as you enter) at Budapest Keleti, its something from another time but quite decent and the staff is great.
FYI.....there is also a huge Tesco supermarket inside of the Arena Plaza Mall on Kerepesi Way, no more than a quarter of a mile from the Keleti train station in Budapest.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 3:58 am
Suspended

Yes its open and it is a regular Supermarket!
Just wanted to make sure there would be some food available.
normaly yes but its better you buy some Roles and Chease, Ham,... sometimes the Microwave is broken and you geht nothing.

ÖBB Railjet -> http://www.henryamzug.com/ -> Henry am Zug -> Railjet Restaurant / Verkaufstrolley
Old Jan 14, 2013, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all- our rail trip went very smoothly and we loved the supermarket in the train station at Salzburg!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.