Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any public transport between Malaga and Tarifa/Gib?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2009, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold

I am planning to drop my rental car back at Malaga airport and then make my way to one of the ports for a ferry to Tangiers. Is there any way of travelling from Malaga to the ports by public transport?
Old Sep 7, 2009, 2:25 am

Programs: SAS
Originally Posted by jahason
I am planning to drop my rental car back at Malaga airport and then make my way to one of the ports for a ferry to Tangiers. Is there any way of travelling from Malaga to the ports by public transport?
Yes, by bus:

http://estabus.emtsam.es/
Old Sep 7, 2009, 5:33 am

Programs: MUCCI
The Portillo bus company operates most routes in the area, their website has good timetables in english, and also lists services operated by other operators.

http://www.ctsa-portillo.com/horarios.html

From Malaga airport you can take the Express bus to Marbella bus station.
From there you can get the bus to La Linea (for Gib) or Algeciras (the port on the opposite side of the bay of Gibraltar) with far more ferries.

The fast ferries however go from Tarrifa I believe, I think your route from Malaga Airport to Tarrifa (unless you are incredibly lucky with time of day and there is a single direct service Marbella>Tariffa) will be: AGP > Marbella > Algeciras > Tarifa.

The other route from Malaga airport is to take the local train from Malaga Airport to fuengirola, and then take the bus from there.

http://www.renfe.es/cercanias/malaga..._horarios.html

This can occasionally work better timewise if the busses don't line up at Marbella. But, while the bus and train station at fuegirola are close to each other (1 block apart), I would sooner wait at Marbella busstation, which has a cafe, loads of busses to various places (and taxis for any emergency).

Can you not elect to return your car closer than AGP?
e.g. La Linea (which is frequently displayed as Gibraltar Airport), etc?
Old Sep 7, 2009, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

David-A,

Yes I just found out I can return my car at Marriott Playa Andalucia. This is between Estepona and Marbella.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA*G, SK-EBB, DL-G, IB-Silver Marriott Gold , HHonors Gold, SHG Gold
Are you driving from Malaga just to return car or already in Marbella?

Does the same company not allow return in La Linea? (they just built a new terminal outside entrance to Gibraltar with many rental car companies)

What about Puerto Banus or Marbella City?

Alternative is AGP return... Express bus to Marbella 45 min. Direct bus to Algerciras 1 hour.

The Marriott is poorly located for westbound bus as you need to backtrack to get a cross over the motorway. Many struggle to get into the Marriott first time although there is signage the route just seems strange. 18 euro taxi from Marbella or more...

You are better off with direct bus to Algerciras from Malaga or Marbella. Other busses stop everywhere along way. Can then change to other bus to Tarifa there.

Malaga shows 3 daily buses to tarifa, but strangely those routes are not on bus company site.

Totaly different option....

The ferry company used to sell day trips with bus from along costa del sol to Tarifa...problem being buses start at hotels from 05.20 am and then have hotel pick-ups along coast.

Yet another....

Weekend excursiions are sold to the spanish market... include bus transfer .Tour .r/t .ferry and 2 nights hotel .. .usually from around 70 euros (3star) up to 200 for 5 star(?) hotel per person. problem with these is that they only leave on Fridays.

If you understand spanish they sell them at www.atrapalo.com . They are availble at travel agencies as well.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 3:44 am
Original Poster

I have no problem driving to Marriott as I have stayed at Crowne Plaza before and driven there from Malaga airport. Perhaps the best option is to go into Marbella and get the bus to Algeciras. On the website I noticed that FRS operates a free bus from Algeciras to Tarifa. Maybe this can work.

I ought to post this on the Africa forum but can any recommend a decent budget hotel in Tangiers (up to €50 a night, two people)? We are planning to go there for three nights so maybe a package might be a good idea.

Thanks for all the advice so far.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 6:18 am

Yes, Direct busses to Algerciras run from Malaga, Marbella and La Linea. If the free bus doesnt meet your bus, just take the 45 minute local direct bus as well. the M150.

La linea has been recomended as is very near to Algerciras from Gibraltar. You can stay on the AP7 to there (Toll) but much faster.

If you have stayed at Crown Plaza, a very visable hotel from motorway, you recall that you had to pass it then go to next overpass and then turn back.

Same thing for the Marriott, a hidden hotel, that involves a longer backtrack drive. The point being, that getting from that hotel accross the motorway to a westbound motorway side bus stop is going to require about a 1k or more walk. Eastbound (toward marbella) busses are right there though.

The packages from Spain include transfer from coast, ferry roundtrip hotel and transfers in morocco and a half day tour... where they just take you to markets... some even include meals.

Good luck finding a solution that suits you.

I am not a big fan of the Tangier region of morocco, but you will find many that feel differently than I do.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MADflyer
I am not a big fan of the Tangier region of morocco, but you will find many that feel differently than I do.
Let me pick up on this. We can spend 3-4 nights in Morocco. Would you recommend going onto Fez or Rabat or somewhere else?
Old Sep 8, 2009, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by jahason
Let me pick up on this. We can spend 3-4 nights in Morocco. Would you recommend going onto Fez or Rabat or somewhere else?
I try to only hold myself to topics I know about and do not really want to discourage you. If I was going for several days I think I would try to move around.

Tangier is congested and I had enough after 2 hours, but your reaction may be different and I think others can better advise you about Morocco. I know many enthusiasts that love visiting there, they tend to hire local guides though.

I am the type that really hates markets and getting bugged all the time to buy things...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.