Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Turkish food question, What was I eating?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2009, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, and about everything else

I Just returned from a three week visit to Turkey and fell in love with the country, the people, and especially the food. There was this one item I especially liked, but could never find out exactly what it was, I hope that one of you can help me out.

It looked like a giant pile of ground beef (but was "meat-free"), the seller would make small hand-formed, oddly shaped portions (picture squeezing the stuff in one hand until it kinda oozed between the fingers), and serving it with lettuce leaves, lemon, and flat bread. It had a spicy kick to it, reddish in color, and had a slightly "under-cooked couscous" texture.

Any ideas? Recipie?

Thanks,

--JD
Old Jul 6, 2009, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

maybe some kind of humus mixed with chilli?
Old Jul 6, 2009, 7:38 pm

Programs: DL DM

iğ kfte?
Old Jul 6, 2009, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA EP; Bonvoy Platinum: Hilton Gold
Man, the OP is one brave soul.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 4:17 am
AHN

Programs: SK EBG
Sounds like ig kfte, as remyontheroad said.

A receipe.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, and about everything else
Cig Kofte it is, Thanks
Old Jul 7, 2009, 8:11 am

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
Generally there is ground beef is Cig Kofte... The beef is "cured" by the spices. Pretty tasty stuff. I was worried about the uncooked state of the beef but I did fine...

HTSC

Originally Posted by justind
Cig Kofte it is, Thanks
Old Jul 7, 2009, 8:46 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Originally Posted by remyontheroad
Meat-free?
Old Jul 7, 2009, 11:05 am

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
From that wiki:

Bulgur is kneaded with chopped onions and water until it gets soft. Then tomato and pepper paste, spices and very finely ground beef are added. This absolutely fatless raw mincemeat is treated with spices while kneading the mixture, which is said to "cook" the meat. Lastly, green onions, fresh mint and parsley are mixed in.
Also confirmed that it has beef by my Izmir friend.

HTSC
Originally Posted by TMOliver
Meat-free?
Old Jul 7, 2009, 11:07 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by TMOliver
Meat-free?
Could have been....Not a huge fan, so haven't paid much attention, but it seems to be made both etli and etsiz (with and without meat).
Old Jul 8, 2009, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Those sound like exactly what I've been eating lately (I've been having irresistible cravings for both parsley and lentils during the last couple of months).

Lentil Kofte (which google shows me as these )

I wouldn't call this a genuine recipe, but it's an adaptation of how I make tabbouleh (which I really can't get enough of lately).
For tabbouleh I use a small measure of fine bulgur wheat (it doesn't require cooking - but the larger grains do - these larger grains might be better if you want a 'meatier' texture for kofte) to which I add just over half the same amount of cold water and let it soak.
I cut up a bunch of parsley as finely as possible as well as a few sprigs of fresh mint.
One small onion (or scallions or a shallot or two) - diced
a diced small tomato
a grated garlic clove
juice of a lemon
some sea salt
Once it's all been stirred together I then add a generous quantity of olive oil.

My b@stardised version of lentil kofte involves omitting the diced tomato and most of the oil and adding a spoon of tomato puree as well as either a spoon of harissa or a spoon of Korean pepper paste (kochujang) - just because I'm more likely to have kochujang around than harissa, kochujang just seems to keep for longer.
I also add a portion of cooked red lentils which I make as firm as possible.
I just add the lentils and tomato and pepper pastes to the tabbouleh and make the mixture into bullet or round shapes. I eat them with cucumber yoghurt or hummus if I have some and salad leaves - they also make nice sandwiches.
I suspect that cooked course bulgur wheat will make the lentil kofte type patties even nicer but the fine grain bulgur wheat is so convenient I just haven't got around to it yet (and it means that I get to have tabbouleh AND lentil patties by keeping some of the tabbouleh base mixture aside and adding some diced tomato)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.