Istanbul safe??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Istanbul safe??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2008, 5:59 pm
Suspended

Thanks. I think I will ask for the hotel for a pick up. I normally ask for a pick up in Dubai as well as I had a pretty bad experience once when I first went there!

For Example for places like London and NY, it is perfectly acceptable to get a taxi, but for these Middle Eastern countries, u just want to be more cautious.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by IHEARTNY1
Thanks. I think I will ask for the hotel for a pick up. I normally ask for a pick up in Dubai as well as I had a pretty bad experience once when I first went there!

For Example for places like London and NY, it is perfectly acceptable to get a taxi, but for these Middle Eastern countries, u just want to be more cautious.
Two points:

1. Taxis in Istanbul are a challenge. Drivers don't speak English, and they will try to cheat you. However, if you're traveling from Ataturk Airport to a major hotel, you will most likely get a good experience. Especially considering the price of a hotel car, this is one case where I would feel best about taking a taxi.

2. I disagree with your generalization about the Middle East. I have found taxis in UAE, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Syria, Oman, and every other Middle East country I have been in (except Egypt) to be great. I feel like one is far more likely to be greeted by a rude or dishonest taxi driver in Italy, Russia (the worst in my experience), Slovakia, India, China, or even the U.S. This is one way, perhaps, that Turkey is more like the West than the Middle East.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 3:11 pm

Let Istanbul Cool for a Bit

So I live in Istanbul and I noticed a lot of posts regarding the shootings, bombings etc. I actually am pretty level headed about these things but decided to get the family out.

Turkey is a bit of a mess right now: The courts nearly threw out the democratically elected gov't. They arrested 82 people planning to overthrow the Gov't and the Army keeps messing around with the PKK. In short, there are a heck of a lot of people that want to cause problems right now.

My suggestion. If you come to Turkey go to Antalya. Stay away from IST until things mellow...

For the happy backpackers that think everything is cool because they had a great time hanging in the clubs-ignorance is bliss. Bad things happen in the world. Having lived through bombings in Algiers (december 11th 2007) play it safe...Go to Nice...Paris...Prague...
Old Aug 16, 2008, 3:14 pm

UAE Taxis

Biggest issue in UAE with taxis is waiting in the oven for 40 minutes while waiting.

Stay at the Fairmont and have the Hotel Service Pick you Up!!!
Old Aug 17, 2008, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
As the OP for this thread I am happy to say that I just returned from Istanbul today and had a wonderful time. It was extremely safe and the Turkish people are very friendly. I highly recommend visiting Turkey!
Old Aug 19, 2008, 6:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Br3ttc
So I live in Istanbul and I noticed a lot of posts regarding the shootings, bombings etc. I actually am pretty level headed about these things but decided to get the family out.

Turkey is a bit of a mess right now: The courts nearly threw out the democratically elected gov't. They arrested 82 people planning to overthrow the Gov't and the Army keeps messing around with the PKK. In short, there are a heck of a lot of people that want to cause problems right now.

My suggestion. If you come to Turkey go to Antalya. Stay away from IST until things mellow...

For the happy backpackers that think everything is cool because they had a great time hanging in the clubs-ignorance is bliss. Bad things happen in the world. Having lived through bombings in Algiers (december 11th 2007) play it safe...Go to Nice...Paris...Prague...

Is it really that bad?? I think I might just stay at the hotel pool then?
Old Aug 25, 2008, 12:11 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by IHEARTNY1
Is it really that bad?? I think I might just stay at the hotel pool then?
I have no idea what this poster's motivation or experiences have been, but I will tell you that I have been out to dinner in Taksim three times this week, was in the old city two times and have generally been going about my business as usual without any extra concerns.

Please don't let ridiculous fears keep you from enjoying a visit here.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 2:41 am
In memoriam

I am in Istanbul right now and have been wandering all over the place. Keep in mind that I am rather paranoid while traveling and, yet, I am not worried (except when I have to take a cab), no problems and general feeling of safety. Even bought some carpets yesteday after several days of dickering.

The cabbies are crooks though. Be sure to carry exact change to cut off one of the (no change) scams.

Have to go try a turkish bath today. Any suggestions?

PS They do drive like madmen. This morning around 6 I was awakened by a screech of brakes and a loud crash. A look out the window showed a cab has run into a) police car (or vice versa). Within one minute there were four other police cars there.

Last edited by biggestbopper; Aug 26, 2008 at 2:47 am
Old Aug 29, 2008, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
I'm in IST as we speak. I have never been, its a magical sort of place. I highly recommend the trip/ Exercise a bit of caution but make the trip. I feel secure, people have been kind and the weather is wonderful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.