Wiki Posts
Search

Istanbul Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2008, 4:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Istanbul Hotels

Planning to head to Istanbul for 2 days holiday. This is the first time for me.

Just wondering what hotels would you recommend?

I am thinking of the W Hotel. Are there any other recommendations (pref modern and good location)
Old Jul 2, 2008, 5:22 pm

W hotel is really really nice and conviniently located. You may also want to check out the Radisson in Ortakoy. It is by the water. If you want to splurge the must stay place is the Four Seasons Hotel in the old city. It is magnificient!
Old Jul 3, 2008, 6:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
If you want something cheaper, but a boutique style place, I can recommend the Bentley Hotel. It's well placed about 15 minutes walk north of Taksim on the edge of the Nisantisi district.

I would caution though, it's not a hotel to stay at if you want more than a nice room and a good breakfast. Whilst there is a bar and restaurant in the evening, everyone heads out, so you'd likely be drinking/eating alone.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 9:00 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I loved the Four Seasons (the original one) and found its location ideal for a first-time tourist to Istanbul. A wider array of good restaurant choices, to be sure, exist nearer Taksim Square, but for a 2-day stay, you would not have any trouble finding good restaurants nearby.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 4:29 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

What about the Sheraton. It looks really new from the pics and half the price of the W. But it seems it is located somewhere really far away

Comparing the FS to the Ciragan, which one is better?
Old Jul 4, 2008, 2:18 pm

Programs: LH (*gold) / EK / Flying Blue / BMI (*silver)
Originally Posted by IHEARTNY1
What about the Sheraton. It looks really new from the pics and half the price of the W. But it seems it is located somewhere really far away

Comparing the FS to the Ciragan, which one is better?
In terms of service and comfort IMHO the Kempinski beats the FS, but if it comes to the location for a 2-day-trip I´d prefer the Four Seasons. As mentioned above: the main sights (Gran Bazaar, Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace, Blue Mosque, Cistern) are in perfectly walkable distance if you choose a hotel in Sultanahmet (aka the old city). So for a short first-time stay don´t waste your time by using one of the sterotype business-hotels near Taksim Square - go for a Sultanahmet accomodation, enjoy your stay and maybe consider the new town area when you´ll visit the city next time.

BTW: there is a good "must do" thread with some more talking about hotels: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=801770
Old Jul 12, 2008, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Have to agree on the original Four Seasons. How many times can you say that you stayed in a prison?
Old Jul 13, 2008, 6:39 am

Programs: Ryanair PLATINUM : ) TK GOLD, AZ Gold, Radisson - gold,Marriott - gold
radisson

radisson is a top choice

good price value ratio

Last edited by ambrogz; Jul 13, 2008 at 6:50 am
Old Jul 13, 2008, 7:48 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Another vote for Radisson SAS in Ortakoy. You can't beat the view from here. Only problem may be the hourly call to prayer emanating from loudspeakers of a nearby mosque. But then FS is next door, so it's not immune to it. But you do get use to it and it's part of the allure of being in the Near East.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I haven't stayed at the Radisson-SAS, but that is definitely the best location in town in my opinion. The Kempinski Cirigan Palace and W are also in that neighborhood. If you're going in summer, and want to splurge, then the Kempinski is the best. Words cannot describe the pool area. For a bit less money, but also nice pools and a good location (Taksim, up the hill from Ortakoy), you can't go wrong with the InterContinental and Hyatt.

Most first-time visitors prefer Sultanhamet, the old city, where the Four Seasons is located. The hotel is beautiful, but has no pool. You really need to base your choice on that and especially on location.

Avoid the Sheraton -- it's not centrally located.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 8:14 pm

Programs: United 1P, Delta SM, SPG Gold
Just to clarify, there is a second Four Seasons that has opened recently right next door to the Kempinski Ciragan Palace, on the Bosphorous (in addition to the existing Four Seasons in Sultanhamet).

I personally would prefer a location on the Bosphorous like the Radisson or the new Four Seasons Bosphorous (or the W - don't know much about that) so that I could be closer to better nightlife and restaurants. But if you are primarily interested in the sightseeing during the daytime, I agree with the above posters that being right in the old city (Sultanhamet) is probably a better choice for a 2 day stay.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 8:31 pm

Programs: Nothing worth mentioning
As others have indicated, the original Four Seasons is perfect for 2 day visit as location is great for sightseeing and many restaurants nearby. Right across the street is a local boutique hotel, www.sevenhillshotel.com which has a rooftop terrace restaurant that has the best view of St.Sophia, Blue Mosque and the Bosphorus and actually overlooks the 4Seasons. The hotel is quite nice too - just not 5*. Even if you aren't staying there, you can have a meal or a drink and take in the view.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 7:23 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks All.

I just had a look at pictures of the Ciragan Palace Kempinski, although the views, pool area looks impressive, the rooms look pretty average (no LCD screen and old looking bathrooms etc..) The W Hotel looks really nice and new. BUT I want to experience a Turkish bath and it seems the W Hotel does not have that.

The Four seasons (new one) looks really good, but it is at least 100EUR more per night and it is not in the Centurion AMEX programme yet (so no freebies - upgrades, breakfasts, late check out etc..)

So in summary I am debating whether or not should I go for the W Hotel or the Ciragan Palace Kempinski?

THe W rate seems to be 100EUR less than the Ciragan Palace Kempinski

So my question is, is the Ciragan Palace Kempinski worth this 100EUR upgrade?

This will be the first time to IST so I have no idea in terms of location etc... All I want to do is to relax (Turkish Bath, shopping in local markets and just some sighseeing? Also what is this Bosphorus??
Old Aug 13, 2008, 8:34 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Barcelo Saray Istanbul

This one just open.Belongs to the Spanish Barcelo Hotel group and is a 5-star house which has only 4-stars yet because it was just opened and so it is still pretty inexpensive.

The Bosporus is the waterway that separates the European Continent from the Asian Continent. It goes from the Marmaris Sea (which is connected to the Mediterranean Sea, maybe you have heard of the Battle of Gallipoli) to the Black Seas.It separates Istanbul into a European and Asian part. All the tourist areas are on the European side as are all the hotels.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 6:01 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks. This hotel looks pretty good and the price is much cheaper. But it just doesn't have the special experience when I look at pictures in Tripadvisor.

I think I might still go for the Kempenski as it has that unique look to it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.