Wiki Posts
Search

AMS over night

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2007, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond MM Hyatt Plat Starwoods SPG
AMS over night

Returning from Rome, we connect in AMS. Flight arrives at 12:15am but the return to U.S. doesn't leave until 9:30am. Is there a hotel near the airport and is it difficult to clear customs just to catch a little shut eye? Thanks
Old Dec 21, 2007, 10:12 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
There actually is a Mercure hotel in the airport. I've never stayed there, but supposedly it is airside (i.e. thru security).
Old Dec 21, 2007, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
There actually is a Mercure hotel in the airport. I've never stayed there, but supposedly it is airside (i.e. thru security).
Nor have I, but I've seen signs for it. If memory serves, it seems like it should be somewhere near KLM lounges 41 and 52... hmmm, yeah, the Schiphol maps indicate it's somewhere around there.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 11:47 pm

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
If you're returning from Rome connecting in Amsterdam, you're already in the Schengen zone - it's all one immigration and customs zone. I'm not certain, but I don't think you'd have any customs or immigration to clear at all. Intra-Schengen travel is just like Texas to Colorado.

That's different from your outbound from the US into Schengen, where you'd need to clear customs/immigration into the Schengen zone at AMS, and then your flight to Rome would essentially be domestic.

On the way home, you're leaving the Schengen zone when you go into the section of AMS for non-Schengen travel. But until you do that, you should be able to just go landside at AMS without any immigration/customs formalities coming from Rome.

So I'd guess you could easily use any airport hotel near AMS.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Denzoo
Returning from Rome, we connect in AMS. Flight arrives at 12:15am but the return to U.S. doesn't leave until 9:30am. Is there a hotel near the airport and is it difficult to clear customs just to catch a little shut eye? Thanks
The Sheraton and the Hilton are walk-able as they are connected to the terminal by a moving walkway and parking garage but beware of any other "airport Hotels" as Schipol is huge and takes about an hour to drive around. Also beware that the Sheraton and Hilton are pretty expensive so make your reservation ahead of time.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 1:48 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Also Amsterdam is a mere few minutes away by train too but I'd just stay at or near the airport given your times...

If you are feeling energetic, get in train into town, drink party until dawn, get back on the train and avoid the hotel completely! You can shower at the Mercure, they have facilities for the passing traveler, which is located between lounge 41 and 52 on the upper level on the international side of AMS
Old Dec 22, 2007, 10:28 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I've used the Mercure for a day room when I have a long lay over and haven't had the energy to go into Amsterdam. It's clean, and fairly spartan. If memory serves, it's about 125 euro a night. I could be off on that.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can recommend the Hilton

I've stayed at the Hilton several times and can recommend it. It's a bit further walk than the Mercure or Sheraton, but still on the airport grounds and walkable (they also have a shuttle van). The rates are pretty reasonable on Friday and Saturday nights, but it is somewhat on the pricey side on other
nights. They've always left me a nice little gift as an HHonors Gold.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 10:51 am

Programs: The program formerly know as WorldPerks
The Hilton is near by, but I can tell you that staying there was the WORST hotel experience of my life. Dear God was it horrible. Sleeping on the ground was more enticing then the bed they had. Plus you have to pay extra for internet. I'd try the Sheraton, but avoid the Hilton at all costs.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 11:00 am

Ams

You might try a Priceline bid for the airport area. I have gotten the Courtyard Marriot over in HoofDorp a couple of times in the $45-55 per night range. The last time was in Oct 2006 for $55 per night. Shutle van to the hotel is free but they do charge 5 Euros for the return or you can just walk about 200 meters from the hotel and catch the bus that runs from Harlem to AMS for about 3 lines on the Strippencart. I also seem to recall a area of the termimal that had a bunch of recliners set up where you could snooze for free.

The Holiday Inn by the RAI also has good rates and can be bid on via Priceline for about $60-80 per night, I have stayed there many times and it is close to the tram and NS Train.

Be Safe
DFWBOB
Now BWIBOB soon to be DCABOB in Feb2008
Old Dec 22, 2007, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lobster7
The Hilton is near by, but I can tell you that staying there was the WORST hotel experience of my life. Dear God was it horrible. Sleeping on the ground was more enticing then the bed they had. Plus you have to pay extra for internet. I'd try the Sheraton, but avoid the Hilton at all costs.
Hmm, that wasn't my experience. The beds seemed fine to me (better than any beds I've experienced in hotels in the city itself). Yes, wifi is not free, but that's pretty much true of all higher end hotels (particularly in Europe). I recall there were some open wireless AP's in the enclosed walkway past the Sheraton near the garage area.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dfwbob
You might try a Priceline bid for the airport area. I have gotten the Courtyard Marriot over in HoofDorp a couple of times in the $45-55 per night range. The last time was in Oct 2006 for $55 per night. Shutle van to the hotel is free but they do charge 5 Euros for the return or you can just walk about 200 meters from the hotel and catch the bus that runs from Harlem to AMS for about 3 lines on the Strippencart. I also seem to recall a area of the termimal that had a bunch of recliners set up where you could snooze for free.

The Holiday Inn by the RAI also has good rates and can be bid on via Priceline for about $60-80 per night, I have stayed there many times and it is close to the tram and NS Train.

Be Safe
DFWBOB
Now BWIBOB soon to be DCABOB in Feb2008
Re: Courtyard AMS, I have about 30 nights there this year and I was just there last night actually . I can tell you that if you do not mind the ride (about 15-20 mins by the shuttle) it is an excellent hotel for the money. It is in the middle of nowhere but it is great for me as I work in HoofDorp and would be a good hotel to overnight in if you just want a place to stay. Free wifi and the rooms are in brand new condition. All rooms have flat screens and they just updated the TV system on Thursday so now there are a ton of stations available. I am a HHDiamond so it takes a lot to get me out of HH properties but this one is a great value. I have many many nights in the Hilton and it is a fine property. I think the prior poster just had a bad experience but I find the beds and the rooms excellent by AMS standards. It is a bit pricey though and that is why I moved to the Courtyard. Just an FYI, the shuttle is now 7 Euro but they only charge from the hotel to the Airport. The airport to the hotel is free. Have a good stay in AMS...one of my favorite citys n the world.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lobster7
I have always liked the beds at the Hilton. In general Dutch design keeps the beds lower to the floor anyway but the bedding is top notch and the hotel is pretty nice for an airport hotel. The price is what gets me (very expensive) but the Sheraton is even more expensive (and the beds are simmilar if you ask me).
Old Dec 22, 2007, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I find the Schiphol Hilton beds excellent as well as the hotels soundproofing. Strangely i remember the beds as slightly elevated and the rooms are nicely furnished but small. Their exec lounge is also small but the food and booze are excellent and plentiful and it is open most of the time. Downside is they permit smoking on one side of the (small) room.

MisterNice
Old Dec 22, 2007, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Happy Festivus

It just occurred to me that it is Festivus eve. I wish all of my fellow FT'ers a happy Festivus and a successful "Airing of the Grievances" tonight!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.