Wiki Posts
Search

Dalmation Coast or Ljubljana?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2007, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Dalmation Coast or Ljubljana?

So I'm planning on arriving into Dubrovnik and leaving Zagreb 8 days later.

Which in your opinion is a "better" itin for things to see/do?

Option 1
Days 1-3: DBV
Day 4: DBV-ZAG on OU. Train to LJU
Days 5, 6: LJU (with trip to Bled)
Day 7: LJU to ZAG
Day 8: leave ZAG for home

Option 2
Days 1-3: DBV
Day 3-7: Split, up the coast and inland to ZAG
Day 8: leave ZAG for home

Any insight would be appreciated!

I guess it comes down to Split (and Diocletian's Palace) vs. Ljubljana (and Bled).

Last edited by chexfan; Aug 7, 2007 at 11:28 am
Old Jul 25, 2007, 9:50 pm

LJU is nice, but didn't make it to Split, so I can't compare. Stay at the Regent Hotel Esplanade in ZAG if you can, it's a gem. I'd go back to Zagreb in a heartbeat, if only to just stay at that hotel.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 7:06 am

Programs: AA PLT, AS, UA
I would vote for the Dalmation Coast. Ljubljana is nice but I found it myself wanting a change of scenery after being there for a couple days. Split is nice, on the water and there is Diocleatian's Palace to explore (very cool how the city has built itself into it). I loved Dubrovnik and would highly recomend going there, although it is rather far south and takes awhile to get there.

Alot of it depends on what you like doing. What kinds of things are you interested in seing? Do you want to lounge on a beach?

Edit: Silly me, you are going to Dubrovnik first.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 8:15 am

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
Another vote for the Dalmatian coast. Especially if you can rent a car and just drive around. Split is beautiful, although a bit heavily-travelled. I really enjoyed Pula, on the Istrian peninsula up closer to the north. The driving along the coast is really beautiful, and if driving is not an option, the ferries are terrific. For a bit less touristed area, the northern coast of Montenegro is also really beautiful (and a bit less expensive).

LJU is great, but I would vote for Croatia and the coast.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 9:05 am

Programs: Starwoods/ Marriott Life Time Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, and HP
Dalmation Coast

The Dalmation Coast also has my vote. Just returned from a 14 day trip to Croatia. We arrived in Split(SPU) rented a car and took the ferry to Hvar. We visited a few other islands and ended up in Dubrovnik(DBV). Looking forward to returning to Croatia next year to see the northern part.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 11:15 am
Community Director Emerita

chexy, l'etoile has been to the Dalamation Coast. She wrote a trip report; here is the post I think particularly relevant for you.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

SD1K... I have read l'etiole's report a couple of times looking for ideas.

There is no doubt that traveling the Dalmation Coast is an amazing experience. But after visiting Dubrovnik, are Split and Hvar the same?

I wish there was time to do everything!

To answer miki's question... I like to eat, drink, see unique stuff, drink, relax, meet people and drink.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 2:50 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by chexfan
But after visiting Dubrovnik, are Split and Hvar the same?
No, not at all. I'd definitely put Hvar on the list. Split and Dubrovnik are each pretty different, but they're not that big so a full day in each place (two nights on each end) and you can really have them covered. If you stayed longer, you'd mostly fill in with relaxing on the beach or taking a ferry to some islands or drinking ... Islands are always more relaxed and more conducive to hanging out and meeting people so save time for that. ZAG is so-so, but not worth giving up time on the coast or in the islands for ...
Old Aug 12, 2007, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
If one would have to make a home base in Croatia which would it be Split or Dubrovnik.We will most likely not have a car.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 4:01 pm
pbz

Programs: AA Gold
Dalmatian coast, but, do Zadar instead of Split. Ljubljana I've heard is nice for a day but I would spend weeks, if I had them, on the coast.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
If one would have to make a home base in Croatia which would it be Split or Dubrovnik.We will most likely not have a car.
This is kind of a tough question, just based on the geography of the country. Dubrovnik is situation in one very tiny corner of Croatia, so it is certainly not centrally located at all to be a "home base" (for day trips, for example). The country really doesn't lend itself to doing a lot of day trips from one hub (and the lack of a car wouldn't lend itself to this, either).

In my opinion, this place is best seen by moving through it - not really having a "home base" but starting at one end, and moving up or down the coast by either ferry or bus or car or whatever.

Now, if your question is driven by the fact that you will be spending an extended period of time in Croatia and you are looking for the best place to set up a household, I don't know that I would recommend either Dubrovnik or Split. But that's a different discussion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.