Search

When can I return to EU?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2007, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

When can I return to EU?

Greetings.

When can I return to the EU?

I just returned from 5 days in Belgium. I did not get a chance to explore Germany & France due to my meeting schedule. How long do I have to wait until I can re-enter Europe (Schengen areas). I am traveling on a US passport.

Thanks.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 8:05 pm

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
There is no restriction.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 4:34 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by dpdp1
Greetings.

I just returned from 5 days in Belgium. I did not get a chance to explore Germany & France due to my meeting schedule. How long do I have to wait until I can re-enter Europe (Schengen areas). I am traveling on a US passport.

Thanks.
Welcome aboard. If you get a chance, read a few of the other threads in this and the safety/security thread. People make mulitple entries in a week. One person did 7 in 5 days (or was it 5 in 7 days?). I've done at least three in a week and a half / two week vacation, between the UK and mainland Europe. You should experience no problems. Only the UK has an entry card to fill out for non EU residents, and their questioning is light and easy.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 5:09 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by fs2k2isfun
There is no restriction.
While the following is not applicable to most, there is still the following:

The restriction for most US citizens visiting the Schengen zone for pleasure or business is that the visiting US citizen cannot have been there for more than 90 days (i.e., partial or whole days) within any 180 day period.

Examples of violating restrictions:

A. If a visiting US citizen spends 50 days there and then goes away for 50 days and then come for another 45 days, such a visitor will be in violation of immigration rules to visit there.

B. If a US citizen visits the Schengen zone every morning and leaves every night for the next 91 days, they will be in violation.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 22, 2007 at 5:14 am
Old Jan 22, 2007, 5:17 am
Suspended

Greetings.

Thanks.
You don't have to wait at all -- as long as you don't exceed 90 days there within any 180 day period.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 5:22 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Greetings.

Thanks.
You can re-enter at any time as long as you keep an eye on the 90-in-180 rule mentioned by previous posters. Since you've only had 5 days in Belgium so far, you could spend 10 weeks out of the next 6 months in Schengen-Europe without running afoul of this rule, so you should be safe.

There are easy ways to extend the time you're granted, like side-trips to European non-Schengen countries (i.e. the UK, Ireland, Switzerland, most of Eastern Europe, etc.). All of the countries that have joined the EU in the last 5 years are still non-Schengen destinations, for now.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 6:29 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Do the Immigration Officers seriously check that, or is that some extra charge that can be tacked on if you are arrested for something? I'm guessing when they scan your passport, it could show a day count.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 9:37 am

Wow, so I'm working as an ESL teacher right now in Poland. As a US citizen how long can I stay here even if I have a work visa here. Do I have to do something after a certain amount of time. I just want to be on the safe side.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by etch5895
Do the Immigration Officers seriously check that, or is that some extra charge that can be tacked on if you are arrested for something? I'm guessing when they scan your passport, it could show a day count.
They don't always check it, for a US passport, coming in and out through commercial airports. That is, EU-Schengen passport control doesn't necessarily even open the passport (although they generally do), doesn't necessarily swipe it (although more times than not they do), and doesn't always stamp it (although they do stamp it more often than they swipe it, less often than they open it).

All said, they can readily check it through the computer; but what's on there is not necessarily accurate and may even be way off and/or misleading. This is more true for frequent travellers than your first-passport use visitors.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 12:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gerardandrew007
Wow, so I'm working as an ESL teacher right now in Poland. As a US citizen how long can I stay here even if I have a work visa here. Do I have to do something after a certain amount of time. I just want to be on the safe side.
Your work visa should have the details. If it doesn't, then find out.

For those Americans entering without a visa, it's generally three months. For those Americans with a long-duration work visa, they can remain there for the entire duration of their work visa, whether that's months or years.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 12:52 pm

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by gerardandrew007
You can stay as long as your visa says you can stay. The 90-in-180 rule only applies to visa-free travel (such as tourist or short-term business visits). If you have a visa or a residence permit, the only limits that apply are the ones listed on your personal documents. And those visas or residence permits can usually be extended at the relevant authorities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.