Wiki Posts
Search

Tallinn, Estonia

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2006, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM
Tallinn, Estonia

Going to Scandinavia in 3 weeks, and have booked two days in Tallinn.

Any suggestions?
Old Jul 28, 2006, 1:18 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
As always with CEE, it is worth checking out the local In Your Pocket guide for the latest information.

I have visited Tallinn twice, a few years ago now. It is a very compact city, easy to walk around. Sup local beers on Town Hall Square, explore the narrow medieval streets around it, visit the castle and the imposing Russian Orthodox Church. Outside the old town, there is not much to see (unless you are a fan of Soviet apartment blocks).

On the down side, since EU entry and the arrival of the lo-cost carriers, Tallinn has developed a reputation for attracting loud, boozy stag nights from the UK for a cheap weekend away. When I was there 10 years ago there were some great little bars in cellars and courtyards. I can only assume there are more (for better or worse) now.

Anyway, I am sure you'll have a great time with the long summer evenings. And no doubt it well be refreshingly cheap compared to all the other places you visit in Scandinavia (hence all the Swedes and Finns on shopping trips there).
toscanafoto likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 3:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold (just!), BA Amex PP, Amex Plat, Accor Fav Guest, Priority Club Platinum
Agree with In Your Pocket. My own guide is here
toscanafoto likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 6:16 am

Estonia photo gallery

I want to share with the community the photos of my trip to Estonia

To see my photo gallery click on the link below

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marcodi...7628841266659/

I visited: Tallinn

I want to point out the major tourist attractions

- Historical centre is UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Toompea or Cathedral Hill with Toompea Castle
- Town Hall
- Medieval walls and the gates
- Kadriorg Palace
- Saint Catherine's Passage
- Kiek in de Kok ( towers that were part of the fortifications of the medieval city ) Fat Margaret ( Paks Margareeta ) Epping Tower
- Metsakalmistu Cemetery - Defence Forces Cemetery
- TV Tower high 314 meters
- Kadriorg Park - Kadriorg Tivoli Amusement Park - Botanical Garden - Danish King's Garden ( Taani Kuninga ) - Tammsaare Park - Jurioo Park - Toompark
- Great Guild Hall
- Prison
- Russalka Memorial - Gustav Ernesaks Memorial - Maarjamae Memorial
- Viru Square - Pikk tanav ( Long Street ) and Rataskaevu Street - Baltika Quarter - Pirita District - Rotermann Quarter
- Ahhaa Science Center
- National Library
- NUKU Estonian State Puppet and Youth Theatre - Von Krahl Theatre - Estonian National Opera - Russian Theatre
- House of the Blackheads - House of the Officers of the Fleet - Stenbock House
- The Broken Line Monument - Linda Monument - Vabaduse Monument
- KGB Museum - Kumu Art Museum - Open Air Museum - Niguliste Museum - Estonian Maritime Museum - Estonian Museum of Occupations - City Museum Linnamuuseum Jaani Seek - Bank of Estonia Museum - Museum Miia-Milla-Manda - Children's Museum - Photographic Museum at Raekoja - Museum of Applied Art & Design - Adamson-Eric Museum - Maarjamae Palace Estonian History Museum ( Maarjamae Loss ) - Peter the Great House Museum - Museum of Natural History - Anton Hansen Tammsaare Museum - Eduard Vilde Museum - Contemporary Art Museum - Museum of Architecture - Mikkel Museum - Health Care Museum - Estonian Firefighting Museum
- Raeapteek ( the oldest European pharmacy still exists )
- Lennusadam Seaplane Harbour
- Alexander Nevsky Cathedral - Sant'Olav or Oleviste Church - St. Nicholas Church - St Mary's Cathedral - Church of the Holy Spirit Puhavaimu Kirik - Dominican Monastery of Tallinn - Catholic Cathedral of St Peter & St Paul - Convent of St. Bridget ( Pirita Klooster ) - Jaani Seegi church - Church of the Redeemer in Nomme - Nomme Rahu Church - Swedish St. Michael’s Church - Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church - Estonian Methodist Church - St. George’s Church - Kazan Church - Dominican Monastery Claustrum - Church of the Transfiguration of Our Lord - Kalju Baptist Church - St. Simeon’s and St. Anne’s Church - Kaarli Church - Bethel Lutheran Church
- Zoo

Last edited by toscanafoto; Mar 24, 2013 at 12:32 pm
Old Nov 15, 2012, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by toscanafoto
To see the photo gallery of my trip click on the link below

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marcodi...7628841266659/

Beautiful pics!
toscanafoto likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 1:03 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by toscanafoto
And your 'compelling reason' for replying to this ancient thread is ... ???

Avoid Bumping Very Old Threads

Unless there is a compelling reason, avoid bumping threads that are more than two years old. Often the information is out-dated and it clogs the forums, making it difficult to find current threads.
toscanafoto likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:39 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by henry999
And your 'compelling reason' for replying to this ancient thread is ... ???

Avoid Bumping Very Old Threads

Unless there is a compelling reason, avoid bumping threads that are more than two years old. Often the information is out-dated and it clogs the forums, making it difficult to find current threads.
There were only 5 posts ahead of yours not that hard to go through. . . I would say AVOID BEING SNARKY!

Thanks for digging this one up; I am planning a trip to Eastern Europe with my niece and came here to get information about Estonia. What was provided by OTHERS is very helpful! Thank you.
toscanafoto likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 7:46 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
NYT fyi

Originally Posted by Tom Beyersdorf
Going to Scandinavia in 3 weeks, and have booked two days in Tallinn.

Any suggestions?
Check out yesterday's (November 18, 2012) NY Times has a good article "Local Hangouts in a Tallin Neighborhood".
toscanafoto likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 8:35 pm

I've got some photos of the Old Town, which is quite charming and easily navigable by foot.

http://www.globalphotos.org/tallinn.htm

More than happy to help if you have any further questions.
toscanafoto likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by ldsant
I am planning a trip to Eastern Europe with my niece and came here to get information about Estonia.
I would highly recommend the cafeteria-style restaurant "Lido", located in Tallinn in the "Solaris Center" mall building. Self-service (just point to what you'd like); excellent quality; wide variety of dishes; inexpensive.
toscanafoto likes this.

Last edited by muji; Nov 26, 2012 at 10:59 pm
Old May 8, 2018, 1:51 am

Estonia Tallinn

Originally Posted by nikkiblast
Beautiful pics!
Thanks so much ! I have updated and improved the photo gallery ( https://www.flickr.com/photos/marcod...7628841266659/ ) with the new photos of my new trip to Tallinn . My best regards .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.