Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

SUGGESTIONS? 36 free hours in June. Best spent in which of these 10 cities?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2006, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, Subway Card 7 punches

After my business during my stopover in Zurich, I have the opportunity to visit 1 of these cities during a weekend in early June on American Air.

This part will be on my own dime. I like beaches, hikes, deals, good eats, architecture, & practically anything else interesting.

- Dublin, Ireland (add $0)
- Milan, Italy (add $0)
- Prague, Czech (add $0)
- Copenhagen, Den (add $10)
- Rome, Italy (add $30)
- Venice, Italy (add $30)
- Barcelona, Spain (add $30)
- Nice, France (add $30)
- Stockholm, Swed (add $80)
- Lisbon, Portugal (add $100)

Thanks for your help. I'm going to purchase ticket this weekend.
Old May 11, 2006, 4:24 pm

I have been to most of the places on your list. They all have a lot to offer (though not all of them have beaches!!!). I'd almost feel tempted to suggest writing each name on a piece of paper and then drawing one out of a hat...

My own favourites on that list are Copenhagen and Stockholm - entirely subjective, I guess! I enjoyed Prague but that was a few years ago when it was less touristy. Nice is in a beautiful part of the world and has beaches.

All a bit vague...but it's difficult to know what to suggest!
Old May 11, 2006, 4:43 pm

Programs: Free Agent, Any Status is Accidental
Although I've never been there, if you only have a weekend, you could probably see alot of Copenhagen since it's a fairly small area.

I think there's too much to see in Rome and Venice to fit in a weekend. Although Lisbon, might be nice- but not sure if there's a lot to see and do there.

Have fun!
Old May 11, 2006, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Lisbon is a wonderful city to be experienced. I was there briefly in 1999-2000 and I think it was one of the more interesting European cities I've been to. There is a wonderful zoo in Lisbon, and the castle on the hill is a wonderful walk and offers a beautiful view. Additionaly, I found walking around, even at night, to be a joy and very safe. There is a very efficient and clean (in 99-00) subway system. The funicular trams will take you up the hill into Fado land.

On the down side, the traffic was not much fun and there were considerably fewer English speakers than in other major European cities. But, if you can get around this, it is definately an experience to be had.
Old May 12, 2006, 2:43 am

Programs: LH SEN only nowadays, AF & AY basic. Radisson Blu fan :-)
I personally would vote for Barcelona. It's a beautiful city, EXCELLENT food and it's a nice size for a weekend. Plus, the chances to catch good weather are best in Barcelona

just my 2 cents though
Old May 12, 2006, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
My own favourites on that list are Copenhagen and Stockholm - entirely subjective, I guess!
I agree with these two - especially considering that you will get good weather and long daylight hours (as opposed to visiting in the super-cold winter months).
Old May 15, 2006, 2:08 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Dublin is the only town out of you list that I didn't visit so far. Reminds me that I need to do this is the near future.

I would not visit Rome at the time you mentioned. In June it's still quite hot there and a lot of tourists while the Roman leave the town. And as others mentioned there is so much to visit that it's hard to decide where to go.

Milan is a nice town as well and not such a big city. One of the best cities in your list for shopping. Can be done within 36 hours. But on beaches

Venice is a nice place to visit and you can see a lot in 3 days. But Venice is full of tourists and in June it will be quite overcrowded.

Nice is great for swimming and laying on the beach but it will be crowded as well and the beaches are not that great at all: only 3 to 5 meters between quayside and water. The town itself is manageable in 3 daysand there are some nice places to visit.

Prague is a wonderful city with an old downtown area. Always worth a visit but no beaches or hikes near by. Prague is maybe one of the cheapest cities in your list. You don't need to pay much if you want to go out for diner.

As the others still mentioned Copenhagen and Stockholm are both nice places. Manageable in 3 days. Not that crowded and not may tourists. In June is a great time to visit this two towns.

Barcelona is a wonderful town as well. If you want to stay at Mediterranean I'd recommend this one. Everything you like can be done there.

Finally Lisbon: I'd recommend to visit it! You can explore a lot in 3 days. Everything is nearby. You could even rent a car for one day and drive to the beaches at the Atlantic Ocean. Because of the maritime climate it won't be to hot there in June.

Hope that helps at least a little.
Cheers
totti
Old May 20, 2006, 6:16 pm

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
For me, this one is easy... I would have to go with two cities

Prague - for it's 14th century architecture and ease of enjoying on foot
Venice - a city built around canals... fascinating
Old May 21, 2006, 8:25 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by yogimax
For me, this one is easy... I would have to go with two cities

Prague - for it's 14th century architecture and ease of enjoying on foot
Venice - a city built around canals... fascinating
For sure two great cities but will be hard to do in 36 hours. And the OP doesn't have much more time so to visit (and have some time to explore this cities) one town will probably be enough.
Old May 24, 2006, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS, UA
Italy had some amazing architecture if you really want to see that. I haven't been to all the places on your list butt my vote would be either Milan or Rome, altough Rome you really want more time in.

I have never been to Barcelona but it's the next stop when I get some free time.
Old May 24, 2006, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by totti
I would not visit Rome at the time you mentioned. In June it's still quite hot there and a lot of tourists while the Roman leave the town. And as others mentioned there is so much to visit that it's hard to decide where to go.
Romans leave the town in august, not in june. It is warm but very acceptable; there is also the beach. You could visit for half of your stay and go on the beach the other day.
Old May 24, 2006, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA-Exp 4MM
From your list my favorites:
Rome
Barcelona
Nice
Lisbon

In that order.. have been to Milan, dnl

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.