Reload this Page >

Rome transport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rome transport

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2004, 3:10 pm

Agreed that Ostia Antica is wonderful but the problem with going out there on Sunday is that you miss out on other events that only occur on Sundays. We were out there during the week and it was mostly deserted.

On Sundays, the ancient road or Appia Antica is closed to car traffic and that's a fabulous area to explore the tombs and catacombs (thanks Anthony) walking or on rental bikes if you prefer.

Also the road along the Forum and around the Coliseum is closed to motor traffic on Sundays and makes a visit there so much more enjoyable.

Sunday mornings there's the huge flea market also.

Old Jul 23, 2004, 1:02 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
€36 for early morning Rome-FCO transfer

Originally Posted by USAFAN
Look for taxi rates ... here:

http://www.assotaxi.it/uk/index_uk.html
USAFAN - I've had your linked bookmarked since you posted it. I've been poking around the site and was interested because they have an online booking form. I've been assuming that they are the official taxi organization so I found it noteworthy that they gave you the option of reserving a ride (and paying with CC). I emailed them a few days ago asking if I were to reserve a ride would I be charged extra (knowing that if you call a cab the meter starts from the time the driver gets the call). They replied back:

Dear sk3, thanks in order to have to us contacted.

Taking a taxi to the escape of the airport the price is much variable:
depends on the employed time and the distance.

If instead you reserves with our company we we guarantee the fixed price of 46 euro for car until 4 persons + luggage, or 56 euro for car until 6 persons + luggage, the price comprises the wait in airport with a signboard with your name, also an eventual delay of your flight does not involve price increase.

All ours cars are air-conditioned and you can pay with the credit card (amex, visa, mastercard, diners) without price increase.

You can reserve also the return from Rome to the airport, the price is 36 euro why not there is the cost for parking , signboard , attended.

In order to confirm your booking please reply to these e-mail, at least 24 hours before, indicating the number of the flight and the timetable of arrival.

Best regards, AssoTaxi staff

I then emailed back asking what the price would be if I were picked up at the Westin Excelsior an 05:00 on a Saturday morning, going to FCO and received this reply:

Dear Mrs. sk3,

the price is the same: 36 euro all included.

Best regards, AssoTaxi staff

All the car services I know about charge an add'l early morning fee - so this is the least expensive way I've found to get to an early AM flight other than the nighttime bus.

So... has anyone used them? The emails sounded more like this was a car service than a taxi company. Does anyone know if they are the official licensed taxi cars? USAFAN - do you know?

Would love to hear any info from past experiences, and if any of you try them, pls post about it here. Thanks.

Edited to add that I had PM'd w/USAFAN and he says that AssoTaxi is one of the taxi companies in Rome.

Last edited by sk3; Jul 30, 2004 at 1:39 pm
Old Jul 23, 2004, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
No Ticket Collection on FCO-Termini Train??

Just came back from Rome, and bought a r/t train ticket for the expresss (e 19,00)-- I duly stamped my ticket prior to boarding the train, but no one came by to collect, check or otherwise make sure that all on board had a 'stamped ticket'. I asked a couple of others on board if this was the norm, and was told they'd never seen a conductor on those Express trains. Is this usual? Does this mean they work on the 'honor system'??
PS--the Express takes just under 30 minutes for the trip to/from FCO.
Old Jul 23, 2004, 1:25 pm
sk3
Suspended

Mauld - welcome back (and glad everything worked out well for you at the Excelsior).

From what I understand, it is rare that Italians actually pay for public transportation - so I'm not surprised by your experience. But I also understand that there are hefty fines if caught, and I would imagine the carabinieri or whoever the policing board would be, would go after tourists, and we are easy to pick out from the locals no matter what we wear or do - so I wouldn't take the gamble....

Mauld, I'm thinking of also taking the Leonardo Express into Rome - how did you get from Termini to the Excelsior? If you took a cab, I'd interested to know how much it cost.

Grazie!
Old Jul 26, 2004, 6:56 am

When exiting the Express train make sure to walk into the main train terminal. I didn't and come out on a side street, where I attempted to locate a taxi. It was very hot and I was told the taxi stand was at the front of Termini.--which was about a 5 minute walk. When I got there I had to wait on line, and when a cab was available, I was told (by the driver) it would be 10euros to the Excelsior. He did not turn on the meter, but it was hot, I was tired & the cab had air conditioning, and it was early afternoon on a busy Sat. My return in a metered cab--was 9euro (7.40 + tip)--this mid morning on a non busy Sunday. There is a metro stop about 4 blocks from the hotel, so depending upon how much luggage you have, a taxi may be the better option.
There are large signs in Termini pointing the way to the Leonardo Express--but it leaves from the very end of the station, tracks 25-26, so allow enough time to get there.
Old Jul 26, 2004, 7:35 am

mauld:

It can be a problem to get a taxi at Termini. I have seen lines waiting to get a taxi of 80 yards and more.

Another FT posted http://www.limoservicerome.com/
I used this service. Good service, clean car. I believe, when you are >= 2 persons, a limo service is the way to go.

There must be another train .. a friend of mine takes this train and goes off at Trastevere.
Old Jul 26, 2004, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by USAFAN
mauld:

There must be another train .. a friend of mine takes this train and goes off at Trastevere.
Yes, there's the local train which runs along the same route as the Leonardo Express. You can see the stations as you ride by-- this would be the cheaper/but slower alternative. You get this local in the same area in FCO as the Express, only it is on separate tracks.
Old Jul 26, 2004, 9:07 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Are there any reasonably priced stretch limo services from/to the airports? I know that in NY, for example, it is not much more expensive to book one from the airports than taking a taxi...but the cheapest I have seen for Rome was like € 150 one way...any recommendations?

Thanks!
Old Jul 26, 2004, 11:06 am
sk3
Suspended

Originally Posted by mauld
When exiting the Express train make sure to walk into the main train terminal. I didn't and come out on a side street, where I attempted to locate a taxi. It was very hot and I was told the taxi stand was at the front of Termini.--which was about a 5 minute walk. When I got there I had to wait on line, and when a cab was available, I was told (by the driver) it would be 10euros to the Excelsior. He did not turn on the meter, but it was hot, I was tired & the cab had air conditioning, and it was early afternoon on a busy Sat. My return in a metered cab--was 9euro (7.40 + tip)--this mid morning on a non busy Sunday. There is a metro stop about 4 blocks from the hotel, so depending upon how much luggage you have, a taxi may be the better option.
There are large signs in Termini pointing the way to the Leonardo Express--but it leaves from the very end of the station, tracks 25-26, so allow enough time to get there.
Fabulous info Mauld. Grazie!
Old Jul 26, 2004, 3:34 pm
sk3
Suspended

Originally Posted by attorney28
Are there any reasonably priced stretch limo services from/to the airports? I know that in NY, for example, it is not much more expensive to book one from the airports than taking a taxi...but the cheapest I have seen for Rome was like € 150 one way...any recommendations?

Thanks!
The only stretch limo I've seen is €150 as well - found here:

http://www.airportconnection.it/index.html

Here's a link to Slow Travels recommendations (I haven't looked in here, but maybe you'll find a better deal):

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/planning/carservice.htm

Buona fortuna.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I was in Roma the last few days and Mauld's info is right on. The taxi with meter to or from the airport is about €45 for 2 people. You have to demand the meter! I never saw a conductor on the train either. At 1pm on a Monday there were loads of taxis at Termini and only a few people in line to get one.

I stayed at the I-C De La Villa at the top of the Spanish Steps. Great location!
Old Aug 8, 2004, 8:29 am

FCO <-> Termini Shuttle

I duly stamped my ticket prior to boarding the train, but no one came by to collect, check or otherwise make sure that all on board had a 'stamped ticket'. ... Does this mean they work on the 'honor system'??
PS--the Express takes just under 30 minutes for the trip to/from FCO.
They dont seem to ever check on that train, but they do occasionally check on most others, and definitely check on long (2 hour+) trains. For that shuttle, I just bought it once and never stamped it, but used a few times over the 2 weeks or so.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 8:00 pm

Very helpful info. Thanks!
Old Aug 24, 2004, 3:31 pm
sk3
Suspended

Link to Termini Station

I've been surfing and wanted to share - here's Rome's Termini Station site:

http://www.romatermini.it/indexf.cfm

And here's a page from the site - click on it then click on "Yards and Routes" in the second column with the Blue heading "Termini Areas" then click on "Map" under "View Map" to see where the taxi stands (and bus stops) are in relation to the tracks:

http://www.romatermini.it/pagine.cfm...pasito&lang=en

Mauld had said she had to walk lots for the taxi stand but this shows if you exit on the Via Giolitti side you'd be close to the taxi stand.

I can't seem to link the exact page but if you click on this and then click on the title "Termini Areas" you'll see a more detailed interactive map:

http://www.romatermini.it/pagine.cfm...pasito&lang=en

And...for anyone travelling on AA I saw on AA.com's UK site (but strangely not in the IT site) the info that you can check-in for your AA flight at Termini. Click on this and look under "Getting There, by Train".

http://www.aa.com/content/uk/travelI..._airport.jhtml

If anybody has done this - checked in for their AA flight at Termini Station - please share it here with us. (It sounds great - if it's reliable!)
Old Oct 24, 2005, 11:31 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Is the info on this thread current?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.