Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa USA-Europe flight expiring passport

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2024, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Lufthansa USA-Europe flight expiring passport

German citizen, US permanent resident. I have a German passport expiring on May 29 and a Permanent Resident (green) card expiring 9 years from now. I have a trip from San Francisco to Greece on May 18th and back from Athens to San Francisco on June 6th. In theory I have the necessary documents to leave the US (green card), enter Greece on the 19th (German passport) as well as enter the US on June 6h (permanent resident card holders don't need a passport to enter the US). Of course the question I am struggling with though is, will Lufthansa allow me to board a flight to Europe on May 18 given that my passport expires soon and will they let me board a flight back to the US on an expired passport with a valid green card. Will the check in desk agree with this? Lufthansa's website seems very sparse regarding document requirements and their support line refuses to talk about the issue saying "you have to check with your consulate or embassy". I can of course do that online and it agrees with TIMATIC, but it feels like a very long shot that they'll let me board a flight to Greece that's a return flight where the return date is after my passport expires, let alone allow me to board a flight from Greece to the US on an expired passport? Does anyone have recent experience with this or a tip for contacting Lufthansa in a way to get help? Also I am wondering if shortening or moving up the trip, so that I return to the US on May 28, would help?

I've checked TIMATIC via the United website's free web interface, I can unfortunately not post the screenshots or links because I am new, but text excerpts below:

USAPassport

Passport required.

Passport Exemptions:

Passengers with an Employment Authorization Card (Form I-766) if endorsed "Serves as I-

512 Advance Parole" or "Valid for re-entry to US".

Passengers with a Permanent Resident/Resident Alien Card (Form I-551).

Passengers with a Permit to Re-Enter (Form I-327) issued by the USA.

Passengers with an ADIT stamp, (Upon endorsement, serves as temporary 1-551 evidencing permanent residency), on a Form 1-94.

Nationals of Germany with a temporary passport.

Passengers with a Travel Document (Convention of 28 July 1951) issued to refugees.

Document Validity:

Passports and other documents accepted for entry issued to residents of USA must be valid on arrival.

Passports issued to nationals of Germany must be valid for the period of intended stay.

When nationals of Germany travel with a temporary passport, it must be valid for the period of intended stay.

When passengers travel with an authorization for Parole of an Alien into the United States (Form 1-512), it must be valid on arrival.

GreecePassport

Passport required.

Passport Exemptions:

Nationals of Germany with a national ID card.

Nationals of Germany with a Travel Permit Issued in Lieu of Passport for entry into the Fed. Rep. of Germany (Reiseausweis als Passersatz zur Einreise in die Bundesrepublik Deutschland).

Nationals of Germany with a temporary passport.

Passengers with a Permit to Re-Enter (Form I-327) issued by the USA.

Passengers with an Alien's passport issued by Estonia and Latvia.

Document Validity:

Nationals of Germany are allowed to enter with an expired passport or an expired national ID card. These documents are accepted when expired for a maximum of 1 year.

Nationals of Germany traveling without a passport must have a document accepted for entry, valid on arrival.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 8:29 pm

As a German citizen, you don't need a passport to enter Germany (where LH will fly out of the US) or Greece (Schengen zone). On the way back you'll need a valid passport to enter the US; a green card is not a travel document. You'll be dealing with CI agents in both countries representing the normal population. I mean by that that their intelligence will range from low to high and their willingness to accommodate situations that are different from the 90% of the regular ones is unknown. Why don't you apply for a new passport before flying, eliminating all potential problems?
hdogan likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
There is no point in calling LH (again). the've already given you the only advice they are prepared to gove - contact the approrpate embassy / consulate.

Nor would I risk trying to reenter the US without a fully valid passport despite your residency status.

Also it really doesn't help to give partial info on your trip. LH does not fly ATH-SFO. So you will be flying ATH-Germany-SFO and whilst there maybe no issue with a check in / gate agent allowing you to fly to Germany from Greece as both are in Schengen the agent when trying to board to SFO may have issues

Get a new passport.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 8:12 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
You should be able to get to Germany. Intra-Schengen - you can travel with your German ID card (assuming you have a valid one). You then need a valid passport to board your flight back to the US.

It seems you can potentially renew the passport while in Germany. The quickest seems to take 3-4 biz days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.