Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Zurich - airport to train station

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2024, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Zurich - airport to train station

I will be arriving about 8 am on a Monday at ZRH. I will then be taking a Railjet train that leaves at 10:40 am. On the train, I have 1st class tickets (RT), but the outbound does not have a reserved car/seat (the return does.) Is 2.5 hrs enough time to get my bag and get to the train station? Weather can be unpredictable (snow) from where I will be flying from - so I'd like to get an idea how much time I need to make the train should my flight be delayed. I can get a full refund (or almost) if I don't think I can make it in time and cancel before the flight takes off.

Thanks!.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 7:02 am

Programs: Chase and American Express
That is plenty of time. The train station is right underneath the airport. I usually don't even buy my train tickets till i am there because most of the time i am there earlier than predicted and dont want to wait as the trains are very frequent
Old Feb 19, 2024, 7:10 am
Original Poster

I assume I will go through customs at ZRH (what is the approximate wait for this?) If there is a 2 hr flight delay on my end - I think I would be cutting it close?
Old Feb 19, 2024, 8:52 am

Programs: Chase and American Express
I dont think its ever taken me more than 15-20 mins plus another 10-15 to get my bag, and then its like another 10 mins to the station.

If you bought your tickets with a cc that has trip delay insurance that covers weather incidents you should be more than fine and even if you didnt i have always found swiss people to be very helpful when it comes to exchanging or refunds.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by sophiesophie
I will be arriving about 8 am on a Monday at ZRH. I will then be taking a Railjet train that leaves at 10:40 am. On the train, I have 1st class tickets (RT), but the outbound does not have a reserved car/seat (the return does.) Is 2.5 hrs enough time to get my bag and get to the train station? Weather can be unpredictable (snow) from where I will be flying from - so I'd like to get an idea how much time I need to make the train should my flight be delayed. I can get a full refund (or almost) if I don't think I can make it in time and cancel before the flight takes off.

Thanks!.
Does your train leave from the Zurich airport train station or the Main Train station in Zurich?
Old Feb 19, 2024, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Main Zurich station (HB). Sounds like I should hope to land by 9:45 am (should there be a delay). I will have trip insurance and will confirm it would be covered .

Last edited by sophiesophie; Feb 19, 2024 at 9:43 am
Old Feb 19, 2024, 10:25 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Originally Posted by sophiesophie
Main Zurich station (HB). Sounds like I should hope to land by 9:45 am (should there be a delay). I will have trip insurance and will confirm it would be covered .
The last train that should get you into Zurich HB (HB = Hauptbahnhof = central station) in time to make the 10:40 RJ is the 10:15 train, from platform 3 at Zurich Airport station. This arrives on platform 33 in Zurich HB, i.e. one of the underground platforms. This is underneath platform 5 (which is at street level), where the RJ usually departs from. Take the lift near the marker "C" on platform 33, go one level up, move to the lift or escalator for platforms 4/5, done.

DISCLAIMER: check tracks on the day on the overhead displays.
sushanna1 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom tulpe
The last train that should get you into Zurich HB (HB = Hauptbahnhof = central station) in time to make the 10:40 RJ is the 10:15 train, from platform 3 at Zurich Airport station. This arrives on platform 33 in Zurich HB, i.e. one of the underground platforms. This is underneath platform 5 (which is at street level), where the RJ usually departs from. Take the lift near the marker "C" on platform 33, go one level up, move to the lift or escalator for platforms 4/5, done.

DISCLAIMER: check tracks on the day on the overhead displays.

Thanks!
Old Feb 19, 2024, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
You will need a ticket from the airport to the main station. There are ticket machines in the baggage claim area, you can buy your ticket while waiting for your checked bag. The machines are multi-lingual and take all cards.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA 1MM *G (recovered GS), SPG Nothing, Hilton Nothing, AA Nothing
Recent plane to train experience at ZRH

Nothing beats Swiss transport efficiency (this was last Saturday):

7:14a wheels down ZRH
7:31a passport control
7:36a got luggage
7:38a left airport
7:39a arrived train station (my preferred train was direct from ZRH but it stopped at Zurich HB and there was another in 7 minutes that would have permitted connecting at my train during its 10 minutes at HB)
7:48a groceries purchased from Migros
7:53a Starbucks grande in hand
7:56a arrived platform 3
8:08a Departure of my preferred InterCity train (with another every hour)

42 min from touchdown to trackside including shopping and coffee!

My flight UA 52 happened to be about 25 minutes early but I probably would have made the train had the former been on time (albeit without breakfast and coffee for my rail journey, though IC1 does have a restaurant car).

As to tickets you can use the SBB app and buy the tickets once you land. You can register an account and form of payment in advance ( I used this to buy a day travel pass at a steep discount a couple of months in advance).
farci and sushanna1 like this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CarlTheWebmaster
Nothing beats Swiss transport efficiency (this was last Saturday):

7:14a wheels down ZRH
7:31a passport control
7:36a got luggage
7:38a left airport
7:39a arrived train station (my preferred train was direct from ZRH but it stopped at Zurich HB and there was another in 7 minutes that would have permitted connecting at my train during its 10 minutes at HB)
7:48a groceries purchased from Migros
7:53a Starbucks grande in hand
7:56a arrived platform 3
8:08a Departure of my preferred InterCity train (with another every hour)

42 min from touchdown to trackside including shopping and coffee!

My flight UA 52 happened to be about 25 minutes early but I probably would have made the train had the former been on time (albeit without breakfast and coffee for my rail journey, though IC1 does have a restaurant car).

As to tickets you can use the SBB app and buy the tickets once you land. You can register an account and form of payment in advance ( I used this to buy a day travel pass at a steep discount a couple of months in advance).

Thanks!
Old Feb 20, 2024, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by airoli
You will need a ticket from the airport to the main station. There are ticket machines in the baggage claim area, you can buy your ticket while waiting for your checked bag. The machines are multi-lingual and take all cards.
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.