Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Istanbul city hop during layover manageable?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2024, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

I have a 10 hr layover at IST coming up. Arrival at 3.30 pm and departure at 1.30 am. Do you think an outing into the city (Sultanahmet and/or Galata) is manageable, and worth it given the long commuting time needed? Flying J on TK so will have access to fast track immigration and security. I'm estimating about 3-4 hours in the city to 'do stuff' will be available to me. Anybody have any similar experiences?
Old Feb 16, 2024, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Yes, perfectly doable and pretty easy since the metro has opened.
You could take the metro lines U1 ( M11 ) + M2 from the airport to Haliç Golden Horn in about 45-50 minutes one-way and have time in the Historical Peninsula.
Most of the sights would close at 5pm in the winter and 6pm in the summer, so you would need to act fast if you would like to go into them such as the Topkapı Palace, etc...
TedToToe and aramis78 like this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
You could take the metro lines U1 ( M11 ) + M2 from the airport to Haliç Golden Horn in about 45-50 minutes one-way and have time in the Historical Peninsula.
Most of the sights would close at 5pm in the winter and 6pm in the summer, so you would need to act fast if you would like to go into them such as the Topkapı Palace, etc...
Thanks! Entry into historical sights is not such a priority this time, as much as walking around the markets and streets, trying local food and some shopping.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
If I arrive Sunday afternoon, is it faster to take the Havaist into Taksim square, rather than take the Metro and change lines and whatnot?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.