Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Did Europe introduce visa requirements for Canadians?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2024, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Air, Flying Blue, United, Air Canada, Aeromexico

I heard discussions about a visa being required for EUROPE when coming from Canada/US but I don't find clear information.
Anybody know what the requirements are for visiting Spain in February 2024 (this month)?
Thanks.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 10:04 am

Programs: LH SEN
Are you referring to European Travel Information and Authorisation System (ETIAS) which has been postponed until "spring" 2025?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Air, Flying Blue, United, Air Canada, Aeromexico
Originally Posted by supine
Are you referring to European Travel Information and Authorisation System (ETIAS) which has been postponed until "spring" 2025?
Yes, that's the one.
Thanks for mentioning it's been postponed.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 9:32 am

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
NOT a visa, then. No more of a visa than the Canadian eTA that I had to go through a series of 'computer says no' actions before visiting Canada in 2019...
Old Feb 12, 2024, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by ticu
I heard discussions about a visa being required for EUROPE when coming from Canada/US but I don't find clear information.
Anybody know what the requirements are for visiting Spain in February 2024 (this month)?
Thanks.
ETIAS will be similar to other electronic travel authorisation systems such as:
Old Feb 12, 2024, 4:06 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Tocsin
NOT a visa, then.
Originally Posted by farci
ETIAS will be similar to other electronic travel authorisation systems such as:
Australia calls this a visa, while the other countries don't. The traditional meaning of visa is that your documents had to be seen in advance.

To me, if I need to do anything other than just turn up at a border and answer a few questions there, that qualifies as a visa
DaveS likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by :D!
Australia calls this a visa, while the other countries don't. The traditional meaning of visa is that your documents had to be seen in advance.

To me, if I need to do anything other than just turn up at a border and answer a few questions there, that qualifies as a visa
It's not a visa. An ETA does not guarantee you will be admitted in the destination country. it's just an authorization to travel.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Goldorak
It's not a visa. An ETA does not guarantee you will be admitted in the destination country. it's just an authorization to travel.
I don't think a visa GUARENTEES you will be admitted to the destination country. In my experience, Immigration staff at point of entry have final say, even if you have Visa in hand.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I don't think a visa GUARENTEES you will be admitted to the destination country. In my experience, Immigration staff at point of entry have final say, even if you have Visa in hand.
you're technically correct. But I don't think it's a frequent occurrence.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 8:12 pm

There is an annual EU ritual of telling the press that ETIAS will finally come into effect the following year, and then a few months later, announcing that it has been postponed.

This has been repeated for almost a decade.

As of yet there's no credible concrete start date.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 7:31 pm

Yep, like abolishing the bi-annual summer/winter time change! Mind you, in addition to journalists, this discussion also keeps psychologists busy who find it important to explain on TV and social media why that is extremely harmful to our health
Goldorak likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.