Wiki Posts
Search

Liquid restrictions at Schipol Airport

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2024, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Liquid restrictions at Schipol Airport

Good evening,
I have a question concerning restrictions on liquids at Schipol Airport.

When I flew from Schipol last time back in 2020, I do remember I was carrying a big bottle of water.

The website of the airport mentions the 100 ml but I was told it's mainly guidance to avoid issues to passengers having a layover somewhere else. It appears passengers can carry liquids, even big bottles, and if there are doubts about the content, there are additional checks. I'm asking as I would like to carry a bottle of whiskey in my cabin luggage. It's a present.

Has anyone carried any bottle of wine/whiskey from Schipol in the past?

Many thanks
Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stegio80
Good evening,
I have a question concerning restrictions on liquids at Schipol Airport.

When I flew from Schipol last time back in 2020, I do remember I was carrying a big bottle of water.

The website of the airport mentions the 100 ml but I was told it's mainly guidance to avoid issues to passengers having a layover somewhere else. It appears passengers can carry liquids, even big bottles, and if there are doubts about the content, there are additional checks. I'm asking as I would like to carry a bottle of whiskey in my cabin luggage. It's a present.

Has anyone carried any bottle of wine/whiskey from Schipol in the past?

Many thanks
I've contacted the airport directly. Any liquid is allowed but bottles of wine or whiskey can undergo extra checks.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 9:55 am

There are no liquid restrictions in Schiphol for a while now as all security checkpoints has been fitted with new scanners several years ago, you can possibly find the thread about it in the KLM forum.
The only exception is metal bottles (i.e. thermal water bottles), these have to be emptied out which is somewhat new restriction in the last couple of months or so, no problem with plastic/glass bottles or cans etc.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ditto
There are no liquid restrictions in Schiphol for a while now as all security checkpoints has been fitted with new scanners several years ago, you can possibly find the thread about it in the KLM forum.
The only exception is metal bottles (i.e. thermal water bottles), these have to be emptied out which is somewhat new restriction in the last couple of months or so, no problem with plastic/glass bottles or cans etc.
Thank you so much. I'm glad to receive a detailed piece of information. On TripAdvisor some people were saying that it's not really possible to carry whisky or wine bottles on the plane because of scanning issue. However in Milan, where the news scanners have been placed, I was told I can bring wine or whatever I want.
As to AMS, I also had the same info. Today I've also given a call to the airport and was told that in the worst case scenario, security can further scan my bottles under another scanner but otherwise no restrictions .
Old Jan 31, 2024, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Do you think there is a reason why they ask to empty thermal water bottles and they are OK with glass bottles or cans?
Old Feb 1, 2024, 12:27 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I would check this page on the airport's website - https://www.schiphol.nl/en/page/prep...gs-for-travel/

In the permitted section:
  • Liquids, gels, creams and pastes
    • Up to 100ml containers each
    • Placed in a transparent zip-lock bag, up to a maximum of 1 litre
    • One bag per person
    • Cheese and other food items. Please note: Liquid and spreadable cheese or food products fall under the liquids rules!
Old Feb 1, 2024, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by stegio80
Do you think there is a reason why they ask to empty thermal water bottles and they are OK with glass bottles or cans?
They claim that their scanner can't see inside it, although it can clearly determine if it's empty or not ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
They only started 'enforcing' / 'asking' if the bottle is empty a few months ago so not really sure what changed, I flew many times from Schiphol with a full thermal bottle before it and no issues.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 4:16 pm

Regular Schiphol user - any size clear bottle (glass or plastic) seems to be fine. I've seen them telling many people to pour out their metal bottles, but my children travel with smallish (~250ml) metal water bottles and have never been asked to empty those. Not sure if it's the size of the bottle or the size of the passenger that makes the difference.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

They claim that their scanner can't see inside it, although it can clearly determine if it's empty or not ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
They only started 'enforcing' / 'asking' if the bottle is empty a few months ago so not really sure what changed, I flew many times from Schiphol with a full thermal bottle before it and no issues.
I was given a bottle of Dutch whisky which is in a pottery bottle. It was sold as such. Will it go through security in Schipol? It's 1L.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.