Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Late season - April in Chamonix (or other alps resorts maybe)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2024, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum ; Hilton Gold; Hertz 5*, Delta DM. Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select

I've been to Chamonix in January twice and loved it. Have a work trip in mid-April in Portugal and would to get some skiing in beforehand if possible.

Generally speaking how is late season in Chamonix (skiing, apres-ski, etc)? Is it dead by then? I see rooms at La Folie Douce are $500 in Feb and $120 in April so that gives me some idea.

Any intel would be greatly appreciated...the travel will be complicated and want it to be worth it. Thanks!

P.S. Open to other suggestions on places to go other than Chamonix if there is a better late season option.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 3:53 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Depends on the year and the base, but the snow starts to get pretty thin into April. I was in Chamonix the first weekend of April in 2018, and then again the 19th through the 22nd. The snow was good for the first weekend, but by the 19th there were limited runs open, and by midday the sun had turned the snow into slush. That said, the place was still very lively. Much more relaxed skiing, there was a music festival on, everyone was enjoying the sun and lingering lunches.

For a better guarantee of snow, you could look at the higher resorts - Tignes I've been to and could be a good choice.
tfly212 and roberto99 like this.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum ; Hilton Gold; Hertz 5*, Delta DM. Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Tignes is definitely on the radar...Chamonix is attractive as it is closest to GVA, which has directs to Faro on Mondays when I need to be there. Appreciate the feedback...thanks very much.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 7:01 am

Programs: BA Exec, LH M&M
It really depends on the weather situation, so it's hard to predict. Snow will probably be very slushy, if there is any
Old Feb 13, 2024, 1:45 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
It's a bit of a coin toss. Last year there was great spring snowfall which made skiing possible into late May, but who knows this year? Les Grands Montets will be your best bet. Another thing to consider is whether there will be buses running to other ski resorts late in the season. Chamonix yes, but not sure you'd find them going elsewhere?

I wouldn't count on après ski in April. Things will be very quiet.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Appreciate the reply...I made similar posts on some ski forums and gathering all the information we decided that the risks of it not being great weren't worth the complications of the travel. We are going to tack on a couple of days in Lisbon to enjoy the city instead. Thanks!
RafKa likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 11:18 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Just in case you change your mind you could look at Val Thorens. That is the highest resort in the Alps and I have been there with fantastic powder in early May. Accommodation is expensive and often not very good though. Les Arcs is another good high resort with plenty of accommodation choices. Les Arcs is open to 28th April.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.