Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Will MasterCard be accepted all over europe? Amex?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will MasterCard be accepted all over europe? Amex?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2023, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by guv1976
​​​​​
Are you saying that if a merchant does not accept Amex, that same merchant will accept Apple Pay with an Amex card loaded on it? That does not seem right.
yes
Old May 27, 2023, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by Breda_travelgirl
I’m sorry but this is not correct. If you’ve linked a Amex credit card to your Apple or Google pay, you can only use it in places that accept Amex. When you make a payment via Apple or Google pay, the credit card linked to your Apple/Google wallet will be charged directly. If you check your credit card statement, you will see that each transaction is charged separately and directly to your card. And in order for the merchant to charge your card, they must accept it in the first place.
i disagree though I have not pressure tested this extensively. With Apple Pay they pay the merchant and apple gets paid by the card. This is why I have discover and Amex only loaded into my Apple Pay. Great for Europe where both of those cards are not prevalently accepted directly.
Old May 27, 2023, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Collierkr
i disagree though I have not pressure tested this extensively. With Apple Pay they pay the merchant and apple gets paid by the card. This is why I have discover and Amex only loaded into my Apple Pay. Great for Europe where both of those cards are not prevalently accepted directly.
This is not correct, Apple Pay does not act like a middle man. Just look at your credit card statements. You will see that you’re not charged by Apple Pay but are charged directly by the merchant.
Apple confirms this on their website where they clearly state;

In addition to accepting Apple Pay, the merchant must accept your payment card and payment network.”

See: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201239
CorSter, LETTERBOY and Deckter like this.
Old May 28, 2023, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL PM/KM, AC *G, AS MVP-100K
Originally Posted by sciconf
The Barclays card are chip enabled but not contactless. This can not be used on London Bus?
I can not insert it and be charged?
If you don't have a contactless card to use for transport in London, you should buy an Oyster card at the airport or a tube station and load onto it the fare cost you will need.
roberto99, sciconf and lsquare like this.
Old May 29, 2023, 3:34 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Collierkr
No money goes through Apple, but Apple is paid a cut of every transaction (and in some countries a fixed fee per card).

In many countries, particularly the UK, shops may claim not to accept Amex but actually do accept it, as you would find out if you tried to use an Amex, it's not the machine that will stop you but a staff member. Also Amex may not work contactlessly in some readers, but Apple Pay would work.
Old May 29, 2023, 5:12 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
Never been somewhere (I am sure I will be corrected) in all my travels that does not accept Visa and MC together (never seen just Visa or just MC, always both), they are ubiquitous. Amex is the only one you have to worry about having an alternative card. With one Visa/MC and AMEX you are covered.
That’s generally been my take on it too. But I find with some contactless payments in Europe that sometimes US Visa cards end up rejected at a higher rate than US MasterCards even when both V and MC are generally accepted for contactless payments by a merchant.

I still run into some shops in the Schengen area that refuse card transactions for transaction values below c. $2-5. But even some of those merchants have been lowering the minimum transaction value requirement. The problem I’m seeing growing is when those with no local banking nexus in some countries end up encountering merchants who refuse cash and either only accept chip+pin cards or sometimes even refuse all bank cards and are cash-free and instead want payment by local version of something more akin to Venmo/Zelle.
Admiral Ackbar and lsquare like this.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 4:02 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by KLouis
... are obliged to accept all cards for payment of even ridiculous amounts such as one cup of coffee.
Why 'ridiculous'? Here in Glasgow, I have many places that no longer take cash, in fact coffee shops seem to be at the forefront of this. I personally pretty much never have cash in my possession any more and it's fine by me. So if retailer is happy and I'm happy, it isn't really 'ridiculous' is it?
farci and lsquare like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.