Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking US<->EU flight for next Christmas holidays - prices high already

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2023, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Booking US<->EU flight for next Christmas holidays - prices high already

I was just checking flight prices for traveling next Christmas, and the prices seem to be already +30% compared to the same dates for 2022-2023 I traveled.
What do you think the best strategy would be to book for next Christmas?
a) Book now because those fare buckets will soon sell out and the prices might become even higher?
b) Wait and see if cheaper buckets open? (and thus not give airlines the signal that we as consumers are still willing to pay that much which drives prices up?)
Old May 2, 2023, 11:01 am

Programs: UA silver; Wyndham platinum; OneKey platinum; Choice Gold
The problem is, it can go either way: prices might go up or down. Personally, if you are flexible about airlines, dates and airports, I'd be inclined to wait. If you aren't flexible about airlines, dates and airports (eg. you must fly on date a and return on date b and fly from airport x to and from airport y and there's only one or two airlines that serve that route) I'd buy the ticket now to avoid a possible nasty surprise later.
pbiflyer likes this.
Old May 8, 2023, 10:56 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Airlines typically start actively managing inventory 3-4-months out. I would wait until August-September to book.
Even if a fare bucket sells out, they can always open up more seats in that fare bucket, or add a lower fare in the same or in a different fare bucket.
farci likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.