Wiki Posts
Search

Transit at Geneva Airport

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2023, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
Transit at Geneva Airport

Next week we will be flying from Edinburgh to Nice, via Geneva. Both flights are with eastJet. Does anyone know how transit works at Geneva? Do we have to go through passport control and/or additional security checks. Any information gratefully received.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 2:10 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
As Switzerland and France are both in the Schengen area, you will go through passport control in Geneva.

As Switzerland treats UK security screening as sufficient, you will be able to go straight to the next departure gate after passport control.

However if you have checked luggage you would need to exit airside, collect and re-check the bags, meaning that you would need to do security again to go back airside.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 8:30 am

Programs: Some...
and with checked luggage : beware as GVA airport handles flight to/from France differently. There is a dedicated area in the terminal for check-in and security control.

No worries, It's fairly easy. But, make sure you're not queing at the "regular" easyjet desk but at the "french" easyjet desk.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 8:51 pm

And unless you hit the T key instead of the Y one by mistake, make sure you don't loose much time looking for the correct plane in both Edinburgh and Geneva: the airline is called EasyJet!
cme17 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2023, 2:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
I am quite happy to be corrected, but only if the correction is actually correct. The official name of the company does not have a capital E:easyJet.
Old Apr 14, 2023, 9:07 pm

Quoting, below, Wikipedia's first sentence of this airline's article; copy-pasted, their own "bolding" the name(s).

EasyJet plc [5] (styled as easyJet) is a British multinational low-cost airline group headquartered at London Luton Airport.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 8:42 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by KLouis
Quoting, below, Wikipedia's first sentence of this airline's article; copy-pasted, their own "bolding" the name(s).

EasyJet plc [5] (styled as easyJet) is a British multinational low-cost airline group headquartered at London Luton Airport.
Wikipedia is not an authoritative source and is written by volunteers. Previously it was correctly written as easyJet but there was some stupid argument where one author claimed that news organisations called it EasyJet so changed it. But that was only the case because some software automatically capitalises the first letter in a sentence.

Looking at proper sources such as their Trading Update to the London Stock Exchange or the Report on their 2023 AGM it is clear their official name is easyJet.

Also the issue with Wikipedia only arises because on the English version they have chosen to prevent article titles from starting with a lowercase letter meaning that special markup is required for pages such as eBay.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 6:02 pm

I am arriving in GVA from the UK (today’s flight, for example, landed at C gates). Then self-connecting to a flight to France from the F gates. Hand luggage only and I will have the second boarding pass. I know I will have to clear Swiss passport control due to entering Schengen, but is there then an airside route to the French sector gates without having to go fully landside and re-clear security? [Edit - and if so, is this route obvious/clearly signed etc?]
Old Apr 15, 2023, 9:37 pm

I feel sort of stupid continuing this, suffice to say that the name is not eastJet...
Old Apr 16, 2023, 2:07 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by KLouis
And unless you hit the T key instead of the Y one by mistake, make sure you don't loose lose much time looking for the correct plane in both Edinburgh and Geneva: the airline is called EasyJet!
Seeing as we're getting all pedantic about this, I've helpfully fixed the rest of your sentence for you....
Old Apr 17, 2023, 11:37 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Since this is about GVA, the level of pedantry seems about right .
Old Apr 17, 2023, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt
Seeing as we're getting all pedantic about this, I've helpfully fixed the rest of your sentence for you....
Touché
Captain Schmidt likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Nikko5
I am arriving in GVA from the UK (today’s flight, for example, landed at C gates). Then self-connecting to a flight to France from the F gates. Hand luggage only and I will have the second boarding pass. I know I will have to clear Swiss passport control due to entering Schengen, but is there then an airside route to the French sector gates without having to go fully landside and re-clear security? [Edit - and if so, is this route obvious/clearly signed etc?]
Sorry to bump, does anyone know if there is an airside transit route from C gates to F gates at GVA (one which allows entering Schengen immigration but doesn’t re-clear security - the reason being it is a slightly tight self-connect! No checked bags and will already have the second boarding pass for the flight from GVA to France). I would also assume there is French customs to clear before getting to the F gates?
Old Apr 25, 2023, 3:55 am

Programs: Some...
I know there is an access to the F Gates from the C gates but I'm not sure it is always open. When it's open, it's used to clear the French customs indeed.
And it can't be used from F to C.
During Covid, security in F wasn't open and everybody, from landside, cleared security in the main area and used this way.

Now, Going through security on the french side is always quite quick.
I was able to take a flight, hand luggage only, despite arriving at the airport when the boarding started. And I wasn't the last one to board
Old Apr 25, 2023, 7:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Best Western Diamond
We transferred on Fri and there was no connection to the French sector. We cleared immigration at Geneva and then had to exit and re-enter (and go through security)at the French sector.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.