Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Car Rental - One-Way

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2023, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Car Rental - One-Way

(I was going to put this in the Car Rental forum, but I thought it may have more of an audience here.)

Planned to drive from Slovenia to Spain this fall. Tried a number of car rental options, including AutoSlash. The actual car rental is cheap ($300 for 10 days), but the one-way fee is averaging $1,500 $2,000-2,500. And this is for any type of vehicle...not a specialty/luxury vehicle.

Maybe it is a Slovenia/EU thing, so I considered taking a train to the Slovenia/Italy border and renting the car in Italy. Maybe the price would come down? Nope.

I have rented in Europe several times, as recently as 2021, picked up in one country and dropped off in another, and have had a maybe a few hundred dollar fee at the most.

Any thoughts, tips, tricks, etc. to deal with the one-way fees?

Last edited by lamphs; Mar 21, 2023 at 12:53 pm
Old Mar 21, 2023, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Apart from searching the car rental program subforums for CDPs/AWDs/corporate codes with no or minimal one-way fees , unfortunately not. I`d indeed post this question in the car rental forum, to the tune of "anyone know a good corp code for one of the majors that'll let me do cheap multi-country one-ways in Europe?"

It also used to be cheaper to use neighboring countries only (rent in France, drop off in Spain), but this also has seen fees skyrocket.
edit: Slovenia is an EU member since 2004
Old Mar 21, 2023, 1:53 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
If all else fails - one-way rentals w/o crossing a border, dropping off and picking up in cities connected by frequent fast cheap regional trains.
E.g. rent a car from Trieste to Ventimiglia, train to Nice, rent a car in Nice to St.Jean de Luz (or Biarritz), Train to Hendaye then San Sebastian, rent car there and drop off Madrid. Or rent a car from Nice to Perpignan, train to Barcelona (not nearly as frequent as Hendaye-San Sebastian), pick up car in Barcelona.
trooper likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
EU is just a group of individual countries and not a single market as far as car rentals go. Any OW that drops off in a different country is usually very expensive as the cars have to be returned to the originating country.

If the trip is long enough (i.e., > 17 days), you might try the various repurchase from Peugeot-Citroen and Renault. They have at least pick up and return centres in Italy and Spain though there may be additional charges for either/both.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bhomburg
Apart from searching the car rental program subforums for CDPs/AWDs/corporate codes with no or minimal one-way fees , unfortunately not. I`d indeed post this question in the car rental forum, to the tune of "anyone know a good corp code for one of the majors that'll let me do cheap multi-country one-ways in Europe?"

It also used to be cheaper to use neighboring countries only (rent in France, drop off in Spain), but this also has seen fees skyrocket.
edit: Slovenia is an EU member since 2004
Originally Posted by tom tulpe
If all else fails - one-way rentals w/o crossing a border, dropping off and picking up in cities connected by frequent fast cheap regional trains.
E.g. rent a car from Trieste to Ventimiglia, train to Nice, rent a car in Nice to St.Jean de Luz (or Biarritz), Train to Hendaye then San Sebastian, rent car there and drop off Madrid. Or rent a car from Nice to Perpignan, train to Barcelona (not nearly as frequent as Hendaye-San Sebastian), pick up car in Barcelona.
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
EU is just a group of individual countries and not a single market as far as car rentals go. Any OW that drops off in a different country is usually very expensive as the cars have to be returned to the originating country.

If the trip is long enough (i.e., > 17 days), you might try the various repurchase from Peugeot-Citroen and Renault. They have at least pick up and return centres in Italy and Spain though there may be additional charges for either/both.
Thank for all of the input. I stand corrected re: Slovenia/EU, thanks! (I misread my European country relationship chart - which has flags instead of country names.)

My trip won't be >17 days, but I will have an upcoming one in spring 2024, that will be, so thanks for the repurchase program info.

I think the advice re: a combination of car rental and trains is best. I played around with some routes last night and a couple of train trips (and I like the European train system) would only add a day or two to my planned route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.