Wiki Posts
Search

BRU and VIE connections

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2023, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: no status
BRU and VIE connections

I am planning a trip to STR, likely in PE, and see options to connect through Vienna and Brussels that may work well for me. I have never connected through them and wonder if there are any advantages or disadvantages connecting through VIE or BRU compared to more common hubs like FRA or LHR?
Old Mar 7, 2023, 1:25 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Merlin666
I am planning a trip to STR, likely in PE, and see options to connect through Vienna and Brussels that may work well for me. I have never connected through them and wonder if there are any advantages or disadvantages connecting through VIE or BRU compared to more common hubs like FRA or LHR?
BRU exit passport control is way too often way too messy. VIE feels more compact to me than BRU and is more efficient than BRU, but I would still prefer BRU anyway on the way in if STR is the destination.

If entitled to Star Alliance lounge access — PE doesn’t do it — SN’s Lexus (Schengen-side) lounge at BRU is nicer than the VIE lounges.

The major disadvantage for me if going via VIE rather than via FRA: in case of flight service disruptions, VIE has fewer back-up options than FRA.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 1:07 pm

Definitely go with VIE. Passport control for non-Schengen passports in BRU is an absolute living hell and I would advise to avoid it at all costs. The airport is OK if you are connecting Schengen-Schengen or can use the E-gates, but VIE is guaranteed to be less hassle and more efficient for everyone. Even last summer when every other airport in Europe was having a full meltdown, VIE had no major drama and no noteworthy queues on both trips I took there. VIE and ZRH are two of the best hub airports for ex-Schengen travel, as well as intra-Europe travel. MUC is typically OK, but DE airports have had a lot of labor-related issues that are still ongoing, with multiple strikes/shutdowns.

Last edited by downinit; Mar 7, 2023 at 1:13 pm
Old Mar 7, 2023, 9:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Depends also from the time of the year. BRU has rarely weather issues, VIE has a few in autumn/winter between fog and snow.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 8:32 am

Programs: HHonors Silver, AC Altitude 35K, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, Bonvoy Silver and a few more
Any thoughts on connecting through VIE vs MUC ? Looking at flights to BUD ex YYZ on *Alliance
Old Aug 2, 2023, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by flying chef
Any thoughts on connecting through VIE vs MUC ? Looking at flights to BUD ex YYZ on *Alliance
VIE has the advantage of that if things go seriously wrong, BUD is less than 3 hours away by train...
flying chef likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
I also vote for VIE because of transfers are smoother, minimum connection time is shorter, and I have had more success there with tight connections than FRA or MUC. As already mentioned, trains from VIE to Budapest take only 3 hours and run frequently.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AA 2MM
BRU connections?

I am passing through BRU on Wednesday. I arrive from the US on UA, have a 3-hour layover and then flying to Toulouse on SN. I am a UA 1K and will in Polaris.
Is there a separate lane, like Access No. 1 in France?
Which lounges are available and would be convenient to my SN flight?
Any and all suggestions for getting through border controls and lounges greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Old Jan 28, 2024, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by 02BNFR
Which lounges are available and would be convenient to my SN flight?
All intra-Schengen flights leave from the A gates. You can use SN the lounge there, "The Loft": https://www.brusselsairlines.com/at/...irport-lounges .

(It's the best lounge at BRU, but also the most convenient in your case.)
Old Jan 28, 2024, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AA 2MM
Thanks!

Anyone have any thoughts on the passport control at BRU? I was just reading in another forum about the PARAFE system at CDG - does BRU have a similar system?
Old Jan 28, 2024, 11:31 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by 02BNFR
Thanks!

Anyone have any thoughts on the passport control at BRU? I was just reading in another forum about the PARAFE system at CDG - does BRU have a similar system?
Like e-gates? Yes, available in BRU and apparently they work with US passports: https://www.brusselsairport.be/en/pa...border-control

It can sometimes get busy at the Schengen entry / exit points in BRU but this is (mostly) an issue during the busy travel periods in the summer.
02BNFR likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Is a 35 minute connection time at VIE okay? I'm looking at an OS flight BER-ZAG so no border controls, but that still seems really tight.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 3:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
Is a 35 minute connection time at VIE okay? I'm looking at an OS flight BER-ZAG so no border controls, but that still seems really tight.
At VIE i make a 35 minute connection that has border control and security.

provided no significant delays inbound then you will easily make the connection

Is this all on OS on one ticket??
Old Jan 28, 2024, 8:12 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
At VIE i make a 35 minute connection that has border control and security.

provided no significant delays inbound then you will easily make the connection

Is this all on OS on one ticket??
Thanks! Yes, all one ticket and only a carry on bag.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 3:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
Thanks! Yes, all one ticket and only a carry on bag.
as this is all OS within schengen then you are likely to disembark the BER flight directly into the schengen departure are in 'F,' which is where your ZAG flight will leave from, probably around 5 minutes walking to your gate, and the gate staff will know when your aircraft arrived and if they should keep the gate open an extra few minutes for you.

Lots of info in the austrian airlines forum , in particular here

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/719912-connecting-vienna-vie.html
DavidDTW likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.