Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Confused about covid requirements in the BeNeLux countries

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2021, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Confused about covid requirements in the BeNeLux countries

I'm flying on Friday from the US to Luxembourg (via FRA). Our vacation (leisure) has us going from Luxembourg (4 nights) -> Belgium (6 nights) -> the Netherlands (5 nights) then home to the US from AMS. All EU travel is via train.

My understanding is that, as a vaccinated American, all I need is a CDC card to enter Luxembourg and there are no further requirements. Furthermore, I'm good to enter the Netherlands from Belgium with no testing requirements or entry forms.

Questions:
1) The Belgian website says Americans arriving in Belgium from the US need to provide a negative PCR and quarantine until an on arrival test is completed. Is that applicable to me since I'll be coming from Luxembourg where I will have already been for 5 full days?
2) Do I need to fill out the PLF for Belgium if entering from Luxembourg?
3) My understanding is that I can't get the covid QR code for the Netherlands since I'm an American. The thread discussing it here says the CDC card is good enough. Do I need a QR code for vaccination in Belgium? Can Americans obtain one?
4) It looks like Luxembourg also uses a vaccine passport ("Covidcheck")? Can I get this or is it only for EU citizens?
Old Dec 16, 2021, 6:32 am

Programs: DL 2MM, Plat; Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by omghaxcode
I'm flying on Friday from the US to Luxembourg (via FRA). Our vacation (leisure) has us going from Luxembourg (4 nights) -> Belgium (6 nights) -> the Netherlands (5 nights) then home to the US from AMS. All EU travel is via train.

My understanding is that, as a vaccinated American, all I need is a CDC card to enter Luxembourg and there are no further requirements. Furthermore, I'm good to enter the Netherlands from Belgium with no testing requirements or entry forms.

Questions:
1) The Belgian website says Americans arriving in Belgium from the US need to provide a negative PCR and quarantine until an on arrival test is completed. Is that applicable to me since I'll be coming from Luxembourg where I will have already been for 5 full days?
2) Do I need to fill out the PLF for Belgium if entering from Luxembourg?
3) My understanding is that I can't get the covid QR code for the Netherlands since I'm an American. The thread discussing it here says the CDC card is good enough. Do I need a QR code for vaccination in Belgium? Can Americans obtain one?
4) It looks like Luxembourg also uses a vaccine passport ("Covidcheck")? Can I get this or is it only for EU citizens?
1 and 2) For Belgium, “In the Passenger Locator Form (PLF), you have to indicate where you have been during the last 14 days before coming to Belgium.” Because you will have been in the US during that 14 day period, it is probably safest to follow the rules as if you are entering directly from US. Whether they will have you fill out that form is the real question. Entering Germany by train a few weeks ago, I was asked if I had filled out the paperwork but nobody actually checked (at least I don’t think they did). Best policy is again to be safe by assuming yes. Europe is taking this very seriously.

3) You do not need it for the Netherlands and cannot get it. I did receive a code from Belgium a month ago. You can do it online.

I cannot answer #4 but check on their website.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 10:05 am

Covidcheck only checks the validity of your certificate, it does not store your certificate. https://covid19.public.lu/en/covidch...rtificate.html From experience, I know it works on an EUDCC, and also on the UK NHS QR code wtihout conversion. It is not possible to 'convert' your US CDC card into an EUDCC in Luxembourg unless you are a resident. However, there are other countries (eg Switzerland, Germany) which will convert your CDC card and issue you a certificate, which should work in the Covidcheck app (ie give a green tick when it is scanned) but I have not tried this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

According to this website, I'd then need to produce a test on my 1st and 7th day as well as a predeparture test. The problem is that I'll probably just get an antigen test in Luxembourg the day I leave for Brussels... so can my predeparture test be my day 1 test? The whole thing doesn't make much sense considering I'm entering from Schengen already where I'll have already been for 5 days/4 nights... I know this probably is completely unenforceable but I also want to respect the rules in place.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 12:45 am

To add, your CDC card is fine for entry to Luxembourg, but to go to restaurants, the Xmas market, etc, in Luxembourg, you will need to show a EUDCC equivalent certificate that passes the Covidcheck scan. You do not need one to use public transport or go to supermarkets at the moment.

In practice, it is unlikely that you will be inspected whilst crossing the border by train and even less likely if by car, but it is not unheard of. So if you really want to respect the rules in place, you should get a predeparture test in Luxembourg, as well as a day1 test in Belgium. Covid rates are currently quite high in Benelux, so it will also give you peace of mind. There is no requirement for the rules to make sense, they are what they are.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 2:57 am

Are you aware that starting today, the Netherlands is in full lockdown? Everything from restaurants, cafes and museums to schools and non-essential shops is closed. Restaurants are allowed to offer takeout and supermarkets are open. The lockdown is in place until at least January 15, 2022
Old Dec 19, 2021, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Breda_travelgirl
Are you aware that starting today, the Netherlands is in full lockdown? Everything from restaurants, cafes and museums to schools and non-essential shops is closed. Restaurants are allowed to offer takeout and supermarkets are open. The lockdown is in place until at least January 15, 2022
Yes I am aware but it is what it is. I'm already here so not much I can do about it.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 9:04 am

Oh that’s too bad. I hope you still manage to have somewhat of a nice stay here!
omghaxcode likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 3:03 am

Programs: DL 2MM, Plat; Marriott LT Titanium
Yes I am aware but it is what it is. I'm already here so not much I can do about it.
These are the risks of traveling these days. Stay safe.
omghaxcode likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I have a question as we will transit in Brussels(no staying in Brussels):

April 9th PCR test Singapore
April 10 depart Singapore
April 10 arrive Stockholm overnight hotel at airport
April 11 depart Stockholm at 6am : ARN-BRU-ATH

We are both Canadian citizens and boostered with vaccines

Are we ok with the test results from Singapore done April 9th?
Old Jan 27, 2022, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
You have over two months before you travel.

I wouldn't be worrying about tests until a week or so before travel because there are likely to be so many changes between now and then.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
You have over two months before you travel.

I wouldn't be worrying about tests until a week or so before travel because there are likely to be so many changes between now and then.

Agreed, just getting nervous about all these changes. But I am not cancelling as we have cancelled 3 times since 2020. Ok you are right I will look again to see how the regulations change as we come closer to departure.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I quite understand where you are coming from in wanting to get organised.

At the end of November I was looking at tests for a January trip to the US. Then I needed a pre departure test to the US and a day 2 test back when I arrived home in the UK,

Then it was changed to needing a pre departure test to the USA and then a pre departure back to the UK test and then a Day 2 PCR test.

Then a week before I was due to fly the pre departure back to the UK test was dropped and the Day 2 was back to a lateral flow.

And now the UK day 2 test has been dropped from 11th February

no wonder people are confused !
Old Jan 28, 2022, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
I have a question as we will transit in Brussels(no staying in Brussels):

April 9th PCR test Singapore
April 10 depart Singapore
April 10 arrive Stockholm overnight hotel at airport
April 11 depart Stockholm at 6am : ARN-BRU-ATH

We are both Canadian citizens and boostered with vaccines

Are we ok with the test results from Singapore done April 9th?
This quite a complicated itinerary, especially in these uncertain times. Why not fly directly into ATH?
Old Jan 28, 2022, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Breda_travelgirl
This quite a complicated itinerary, especially in these uncertain times. Why not fly directly into ATH?
There are reasons behind it,

We need to fly Aegean and theres no direct flight from ARN. It appears complicated as theres no other way. I can fly from ARN to MUC and thats going to be easier as Germany accepts fully vaccinated with a negative test.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.