Search

Car transfer services in Athens?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2021, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, AS Gold, SPG Gold, Emerald Club
Car transfer services in Athens?

Hi, folks!

Depending on how the year goes, I may be lucky enough to find myself in Athens this November. Assuming this all works out I'll need to arrange a transfer from the airport to my hotel (which will not be in the immediate city area).

I've read some travel blogs that recommended Blacklane and "Welcome Taxi Greece" as good options. But I thought I'd ask here too, in case there's other outfits I should consider. (note: the hotel does offer to arrange transfer for you, but at a price that surely has to be over what I'd pay on my own, so it's a last resort option)

Thanks for any advice!
Old Feb 2, 2021, 7:12 pm

Where's your hotel and what does it charge for the transfer?
Old Feb 2, 2021, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, AS Gold, SPG Gold, Emerald Club
Originally Posted by KLouis
Where's your hotel and what does it charge for the transfer?
Our hotel is going to be Amanzoe, which is located ~2 hours outside of Athens. We'll be going there straight from the airport.

I know the hotel can arrange a transfer, but from what I've read it'd be at least 100euro more than the cost of arranging a car ourselves.

/no, we're not jet set types per se
//just got a lot of travel credits from canceled 2020 adventures to use
Old Feb 3, 2021, 6:14 am

Programs: FB Gold, Accor Gold, IHG One Rewards Platinum, SNCF Grand Voyager le club, Hertz 5* Gold,
I wouldn't think any car service going 200km or so would be cheap.
I got a car service for my wife from the airport to her hotel in the middle of Athens and If i remember correctly, that was 45euro (40km?).
That may give a guideline?
Old Feb 3, 2021, 6:42 am

Programs: A3 *S, LX Sen**, AF Gold
Probably cheaper to take a taxi to Pireas port, afterwards a ferry to Porto Heli, and then the cab / limo service to the hotel.
Obviously, more stressful to make connections / organize the different legs.
Or just rent a car and drive down there ?
Old Feb 3, 2021, 10:06 am

Try app Rome2Rio.

checked but it doesn’t even give an option for a taxi/limo (which I have always seen for all routes I have looked at). It only has Bus, Ferry, Car ferry/drive and drive. The ferry might be an ok option but requires an 18 min subway ride to get to the ferry. There are 4 cabin classes. The ferry is only once day - but the listing is for today. You would need to investigate if the ferry runs in Nov.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 11:42 am

I looked at tripadvisor (dont beat me up!) - to see if any reviews mentioned how they got there - this was from June 2018:
Long (approximately 2.5 hours) and expensive transfer from Athens Airport ($1,000 roundtrip for two) by
car

I'm not sure if that is about the price they quoted you? Although the review doesn't specifically say it is the service provided by the hotel.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 8:27 am

Carpacchio's idea is fine but, unfortunately, there are no ferries from Piraeus to Porto Heli. Thus, a reliable way to get there is a KTEL bus to Nafplio (a very, very very beautiful city, Greece's first capital) 2.5 hours from Athens and then a cab to Porto Heli (~80 km). Alternatively, and certainly nicer, a ferry boat or hydrofoil from Piraeus to the island of Spetses (probably what Carpacchio had in mind) and then a boat-taxi or another local boat transfer to Porto Heli. If you think of the transfer as part of your vacation, no problem.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 8:53 am

Programs: A3 *S, LX Sen**, AF Gold
Originally Posted by KLouis
... (probably what Carpacchio had in mind) ...
It's been some time, so yes, that's why I meant indeed
Old Feb 10, 2021, 2:23 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MalFr
I wouldn't think any car service going 200km or so would be cheap.
I got a car service for my wife from the airport to her hotel in the middle of Athens and If i remember correctly, that was 45euro (40km?).
That may give a guideline?
Airport to Athens and Athens to airport is fixed price - Govt regulated.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 6:59 am

Programs: FB Gold, Accor Gold, IHG One Rewards Platinum, SNCF Grand Voyager le club, Hertz 5* Gold,
fair enough, i wasn't aware - it was a couple of years ago anyway.
Suggests a 200km journey will be likely even more expensive, then.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by MalFr
fair enough, i wasn't aware - it was a couple of years ago anyway.
Suggests a 200km journey will be likely even more expensive, then.
The price per metered km (one way, out of Athens region) is € 1.29. ATH to Porto Heli is about 200 km, add tolls (~7 €) and a few more extras of less than 10€, the total should be around 280 €. I'm certain that one could negotiate a price around 250 € if a cab is booked in advance by phone or online (there are several companies adverising on the internet).

n.b. that price would be for a maximum of 4 people...
Old Feb 15, 2021, 2:02 am

Programs: too many
From a quick look at a week-long booking in November with Avis, an MB A-class would set you back ca €280...for the same price as a cab you have a nice way of exploring the countryside! Plus, it's fairly easy to drive in Greece (point of comparison: driving around the SKG area is easier than let's say SF or LA, the 2 cities where I've been in the US)
Old Feb 15, 2021, 4:09 am

I fully agree with ng1265's suggestion even if I proposed a cab instead of a private transfer. You'll then get to visit the "prehistoric palace" of Mycenae, the stupendous theatre (and more) at Epidaurus, and the very beautiful city of Nafplion, plus the nice countryside. And I'm not even talking about cites only two hours away like Mystras, Olympia, Korinthos.
Romanianflyer likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 2:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Can anyone recommend an airport transfer service? We are staying in Plaka and need to leave for airport at 7AM on Sunday. 5 people, so a regular taxi won’t work. We used the service our Airbnb recommended for our inbound transfer from airport and it was one problem after another. Would prefer not to use them again. (It was “Taxiplon”.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.