Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Entry in Greece [new COVID requirements]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2020, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Entry in Greece [new COVID requirements]

Pcr test, rapid test and 10 days self isolation from 18,dec untill 7 jan . I thing all flights will be cancelled from and to Greece thes period.... Poor Aegean......The 120 millions from the government will be not enough untill the summer...Only chance if they will transport vaccinations.

Last edited by powergean; Dec 7, 2020 at 7:15 am
Old Dec 7, 2020, 7:16 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by powergean
Pcr test, rapid test and 10 days self isolation from 18,dec untill 7 jan . I thing all flights will be cancelled from and to Greece thes period.... Poor Aegean......The 120 millions from the government will be not enough untill the summer...
One could argue that it's the people who catch the virus and die who are the poor ones. This is inconvenient, but it's for a reason.
lhrpete, DELLAS, cad-spe and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 7:29 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Meanwhile stores are about to re open in Greece, while the infection numbers are still soaring high. If anything that is going to cause a large spike in the numbers.

Do you have a link/source describing the new entry requirements? Thanks.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 7:34 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Meanwhile stores are about to re open in Greece, while the infection numbers are still soaring high. If anything that is going to cause a large spike in the numbers.
Very true. Did you see the shoppers in London at the weekend, now the lockdown has finished!

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/s...n-b180302.html

Just because there is a vaccine, people seem to think the virus has disappeared!
Xandrios and powergean like this.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
When is Greece getting any vaccine?
Old Dec 7, 2020, 8:40 am

The vaccines will come early January with the rest of EU.
Obviously the measures are for discourage Greeks of diaspora to return for Christmas.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Sure!
Old Dec 7, 2020, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Sorry, no link, i have heard it at the greek ERT live, from the governments spokesman. Valid, from 18 dec-7 jan. The new covid numbers are 906 , so thes is not the reason.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 11:27 am

powergean please update the title of this thread with the corresponding time period it concerns, so that we don't end up having 10 similarly named topics for this thing...
Old Dec 7, 2020, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

I dont see other:-)) Today at 14 pm i have heared at the news!
Old Dec 7, 2020, 2:09 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Here is the link:
https://news.gtp.gr/2020/12/07/greec...f-december-18/

The new covid numbers are 906 , so thes is not the reason.
With all due respect; I still have doubts with the validity of these numbers. There are signs that the number of tests being taken is reduced in order to get the number low enough to allow for shops to open with Christmas. At this point all of this seems to be lots of politics and little science.

Not sure if anybody saw the explanation last week regarding the government 'algorithm' that we all had (and have, I guess) to endure regarding getting access and/or tested upon arrival. That was a pretty good display of the mess we are in right now. ​​​​

powergean likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

I have no idea, is possible! Who knows?
Old Dec 7, 2020, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry, no link, i have heard it at the greek ERT live, from the governments spokesman. Valid, from 18 dec-7 jan. The new covid numbers are 906 , so thes is not the reason.
Thanks, we are planning to be there in May, hopefully things will calm down by then.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Thanks, we are planning to be there in May, hopefully things will calm down by then.
To achieve herd immunity, i.e. a condition that leads to the stop of the spread of a given pathogen among a population (and thus an epidemic), one has to achieve about 60-70% of that population becoming immune to that pathogen*. When this value is reached, the disease may not disappear completely, but it will certainly not constitute a major public health problem.

Greece has a population of about 10 million, therefore ±6-7 million people would have to be vaccinated and become immune in order to have effective herd immunity. Thus, if 60-70 thousand inhabitants, representative of the Greek population (young and old, spread across all of the country) could be vaccinated daily, 100 days would be enough, or to be more precise, excluding Sundays, 120 calendar days from the day the mass vaccinations start and that rate of vaccination is reached. If one is optimistic (I am!), we should theoretically be done with Covid-19 by May, at least in its present epidemic form.

But although biology is a precise science, we don’t know which ways Nature “chooses”. Therefore, would I bet any money on this scenario? No, but I’d be willing to bet some of the Tsikoudia made from my own grapes that I have in my cellar. It definitely doesn’t help against the virus but it sure makes the lockdown a little more bearable…

* Some (few) epidemiologists claim that a value of 40% may be enough, but this is not generally accepted.
cad-spe, HAF, romans and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KLouis
To achieve herd immunity, i.e. a condition that leads to the stop of the spread of a given pathogen among a population (and thus an epidemic), one has to achieve about 60-70% of that population becoming immune to that pathogen*. When this value is reached, the disease may not disappear completely, but it will certainly not constitute a major public health problem.

Greece has a population of about 10 million, therefore ±6-7 million people would have to be vaccinated and become immune in order to have effective herd immunity. Thus, if 60-70 thousand inhabitants, representative of the Greek population (young and old, spread across all of the country) could be vaccinated daily, 100 days would be enough, or to be more precise, excluding Sundays, 120 calendar days from the day the mass vaccinations start and that rate of vaccination is reached. If one is optimistic (I am!), we should theoretically be done with Covid-19 by May, at least in its present epidemic form.

But although biology is a precise science, we don’t know which ways Nature “chooses”. Therefore, would I bet any money on this scenario? No, but I’d be willing to bet some of the Tsikoudia made from my own grapes that I have in my cellar. It definitely doesn’t help against the virus but it sure makes the lockdown a little more bearable…

* Some (few) epidemiologists claim that a value of 40% may be enough, but this is not generally accepted.

I agree and fully understand how it works, But at the same token we will still be using our masks while there so as to protect ourselves. Worse case scenario we will once again cancel the trip. Its a complicated trip, from YYZ to Greece, then onto SIN with LX. So fingers crossed for now. But thanks for that explanation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.