Wiki Posts
Search

Swiss Skiing Over Christmas

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2020, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Swiss Skiing Over Christmas

Looks like things are getting heated! It's quite funny how European countries are getting jealous Switzerland has opened their ski resorts and are naturally attracting Europeans to come there to ski while France, Italy, Germany have their closed.

France's Macron warns against going skiing in Switzerland.

​​​​​​https://www.independent.co.uk/news/f...-b1764628.html

The question is; what is Macron going to do to stop French going skiing in Switzerland? Army at the border? Close Schengen again? Quarantine for anyone who 'dares' go to Switzerland? It's feeling a bit East Germany like to be honest.
the810 and Koby like this.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
It's feeling a bit East Germany like to be honest.
Is It though?
Old Dec 4, 2020, 8:32 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The question is; what is Macron going to do to stop French going skiing in Switzerland? Army at the border? Close Schengen again? Quarantine for anyone who 'dares' go to Switzerland? It's feeling a bit East Germany like to be honest.
It feels nothing like East Germany.
Old Dec 6, 2020, 12:48 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
These statements contradict each other.

If Macron stations the army at borders and tells them to shoot people leaving France, then it would feel like East Germany.

As Macron hasn't done anything yet, it doesn't feel like East Germany.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 4:15 am

Programs: too many
"-Grandpa, were you in the Resistance?
-Yes, in 2020, I helped French skiers cross the border to Switzerland"

Feels nothing like the DDR, but it seems like crossing the border over to Switzerland for tax evasion purposes will be less of a crime than going skiing.
Koby likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ng1265
"-Grandpa, were you in the Resistance?
-Yes, in 2020, I helped French skiers cross the border to Switzerland"

Feels nothing like the DDR, but it seems like crossing the border over to Switzerland for tax evasion purposes will be less of a crime than going skiing.
Well Switzerland allowed/and still allows others in but banned the Brits! If you are in the UK for 10 days before Switzerland then you cannot ski. So the only way a Brit can go skiing in Switzerland would be to spend 10 days in Europe then head there.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 5:54 am
Suspended

Well Switzerland allowed/and still allows others in but banned the Brits! If you are in the UK for 10 days before Switzerland then you cannot ski. So the only way a Brit can go skiing in Switzerland would be to spend 10 days in Europe then head there.
Don't forget the tanned skiers in the hot tubs in Switzerland. Some of that is the product of a vacation in Mexico or some other warm weather places, if they happen to be a British resident of a Schengen country.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 5:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Here we go again...maybe we could bundle all these similar-themed threads.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Don't forget the tanned skiers in the hot tubs in Switzerland. Some of that is the product of a vacation in Mexico or some other warm weather places, if they happen to be a British resident of a Schengen country.
Yes as long as you haven't been in a country on Switzerland's quarantine list within the last 10 days (its actually quite short - https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home...nreisende.html), and enter Switzerland from a schengen country then you can go skiing, but this cannot apply to too many people.

Switzerland only allows non-EU people in from Schengen countries, and that includes Brits now.
The issue is the UK really, as the Ski Resorts remain open. Brits still are a pariah right now.

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Jan 6, 2021 at 6:13 am
Old Jan 6, 2021, 6:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Here we go again...maybe we could bundle all these similar-themed threads.
I have been wanting a separate "ski travel" forum/subforum on FT for quite some time. Oh, that's not what you mean.

Do you mean something like a "Post-Brexit European travel discussion" forum/subforum?
Old Jan 6, 2021, 6:13 am
Original Poster

I have been wanting a separate "ski travel" forum/subforum on FT for quite some time. Oh, that's not what you mean.
We should have one!
Old Jan 6, 2021, 8:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K

Do you mean something like a "Post-Brexit European travel discussion" forum/subforum?
Yes...the constant asking of 'what is open, where can I get in, do I need a mask' is getting a bit tiresome, especially when basically every sensible country in the world is saying 'don't travel unless you must.'
Old Jan 6, 2021, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Yes...the constant asking of 'what is open, where can I get in, do I need a mask' is getting a bit tiresome, especially when basically every sensible country in the world is saying 'don't travel unless you must.'
Ok but travel is not illegal in some countries so nothing wrong with discussing what your options are. Switzerland is open to travel from Schengen countries and skiing is considered safe enough for them to have their hotels and resorts open.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
As is the constant replying of "wear tin foil, stay at home" when people are asking perfectly valid questions.
Koby likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 12:21 pm

To bring this thread back on track, here is a short summary of what not to do if you're planning on going for a ski holiday in Switzerland.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.