Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Munich or Salzburg for trip to Mittersill (Kitzbuhel)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Hello

This might not be completely in the realm of Flyertalk but I will try anyway. So we are planning a trip to Kitzbuhel (Mittersill is where we are staying) in March for 2 weeks (not school holidays). We are using reward flights (BA avios) to fly and will be paying the same amount for either Munich or Salzburg. Munich is about 2-2.5hrs to Mittersill in decent traffic whereas Salzburg is 1.5-2hrs in decent traffic. The former is from Heathrow and the latter Gatwick, which makes no odds to us travel wise. The big difference is in the car hire prices with Munich coming out around £250 and Salzburg around £450. The flight times are probably more favourable for Munich as we would arrive at 13.45 whereas Salzburg would be 16.30, which somewhat negates the shorter transfer time.

It would seem that Munich is therefore the better option BUT i am concerned about cross border fees for the hire car and i notice that stay and park at Heathrow is slightly more expensive (about £30ish) which slightly negates the price saving.

So really I am asking does anyone have any strong reason to pick Salzburg over Munich given the time saving is somewhat negated by the latter arrival and it costs £200 more! Is the airport more efficient than Munich? Is the lounge better? Car hire any better? Is Munich a right pain to navigate or get out of? Anything really to help me make this decision! I am gathering more info but so far not getting any closer to a decision!

if anyone has any wisdom on this I am all ears as you are a very knowledgeable bunch!
Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I can't answer all the questions but I can touch on some. First, MUC is a great and efficient airport, but it is large which means navigating it is slow, and the car rental section is a considerable distance from Immigration. Second, I've done the drive to Austria three times and not been charged cross border fees. Third, of the six single journeys (there and back), five have been significantly delayed by very heavy traffic (in all cases weekend rush hour traffic).

Conversely I've only flown to Salzburg once and it was a small and modest airport, but quick to get through. I didn't rent a car so cannot comment on that aspect.

PS I think this thread should be moved to the Germany and Austria Forum. I've alerted a moderator.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Hello Ihrsfo

Thanks very much for your input, very helpful perspective and apologies for posting in the wrong section, i am not on here all that frequently.

It does sound like Munich could be a lot slower to get through, which adds to the time difference. Interesting on the cross border fees, that is what i would expect given the proximity but I have heard stories of some fairly high charges, and I don't much like the thought of arguing with an agent who basically has you over a barrel!

The heavy traffic is also a concern for us but perhaps it would also be relatively heavy on the minor roads from Salzburg to Mittersill, i suppose you cannot answer that. Seems that maybe the extra saving on transfer might also be in getting the car too, which I hadn't really considered. We have been to Salzburg before and it is a small airport but this can often be a good thing as it means you can often get through much quicker.

Anyway, thanks for your help.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
not at all familiar with rental car fees, policies, etc in Salzburg, but are there any convenient off-airport locations operating under the U.S. paradigm that eliminates a lot of airport-related taxes/fees/surcharges? a short taxi ride from the airport to the rental car office after arrival shouldn't be too expensive, and I'd think that returning the car to Salzburg airport wouldn't incur any one-way charges
Old Jan 22, 2020, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip, i will look into that, seems like a possible solution.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 12:03 am

Programs: MPC, OneWorld, 1865 Voyager, Hyatt, Horizon Club
I'm based in HK and flown into MUC to head to Kitzbuhel before (last year), and have driven from both Salzburg and Munich to Kitzbuhel before. And will be doing so again this year. I prefer MUC.

Good points for MUC:
- Drive is usually faster than stated on google maps - that stretch of the autobahn rarely has variable speed limit enforced and you can definitely (legally) speed quicker. The drive for me took 1.5 hours only and the roads are much straighter than the hilly curves from Salzburg (Granted contrary to what others are saying I did NOT travel during peak/rush hours)
- Car hire options are greater and cheaper with better cars in general
- Navigation is easier and on better highways until the Austrian bit
- Car return is simple, dump your car in the designated garage, get out and go.

Bad for MUC:
- MUC car rental shops have a long queue (queued for 30min last time)
- long walk in the terminal and it is a bit more difficult/confusing to navigate around on both arrival/dept
- Passport control is a mess sometimes (assuming you are Brit/EU so squeeze past people to head for the e-gates) since there are no good distinctions in queues

Also - I love kitzbuhel
Old Jan 23, 2020, 12:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
There are no cross border fees to worry about. The rental queue at MUC is indeed a pain but there is far less risk of flight cancellations to/from MUC than Salzburg. I do similar trips all the time.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hphreak
I'm based in HK and flown into MUC to head to Kitzbuhel before (last year), and have driven from both Salzburg and Munich to Kitzbuhel before. And will be doing so again this year. I prefer MUC.

Good points for MUC:
- Drive is usually faster than stated on google maps - that stretch of the autobahn rarely has variable speed limit enforced and you can definitely (legally) speed quicker. The drive for me took 1.5 hours only and the roads are much straighter than the hilly curves from Salzburg (Granted contrary to what others are saying I did NOT travel during peak/rush hours)
- Car hire options are greater and cheaper with better cars in general
- Navigation is easier and on better highways until the Austrian bit
- Car return is simple, dump your car in the designated garage, get out and go.

Bad for MUC:
- MUC car rental shops have a long queue (queued for 30min last time)
- long walk in the terminal and it is a bit more difficult/confusing to navigate around on both arrival/dept
- Passport control is a mess sometimes (assuming you are Brit/EU so squeeze past people to head for the e-gates) since there are no good distinctions in queues

Also - I love kitzbuhel
Thanks for the breakdown, that is exactly what i was looking for and tells me all i need to know!

I think it we're going for Munich in that case, just seems to be better especially considering the saving on hire cars. In case you have any more energy to expend if you have any recommendations for hire car company do let me know but obviously you have already done a lot to help so thanks very much.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
There are no cross border fees to worry about. The rental queue at MUC is indeed a pain but there is far less risk of flight cancellations to/from MUC than Salzburg. I do similar trips all the time.
Brilliant info and confirms the general feeling i was getting i.e. that Salzburg wasn't worth the premium!

Thanks so much.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 3:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by klang180
Brilliant info and confirms the general feeling i was getting i.e. that Salzburg wasn't worth the premium!

Thanks so much.
If you have any kind of status with the car rental agency you can skip the queue and go straight to the office in the garage. Munich to Kitz is an easy drive, I have done it many times, as long as you are not in a Munich rush hour time. And, depending where you cross, you may not even realise that you're in Austria. Make sure you buy the Vignette, otherwise you'll get stung if caught driving on a highway without one.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 4:46 am
Original Poster

If you have any kind of status with the car rental agency you can skip the queue and go straight to the office in the garage. Munich to Kitz is an easy drive, I have done it many times, as long as you are not in a Munich rush hour time. And, depending where you cross, you may not even realise that you're in Austria. Make sure you buy the Vignette, otherwise you'll get stung if caught driving on a highway without one.
Excellent advice but alas we don't have any status with any of the rental agencies, unfortunately. The closest we have is with BA executive club with AVIS but I am a lowly Blue (the points are from family with a better account) and the price is about £305 compared to about £250 with other firms (including decent ones Alamo?) so maybe not worth it.

Thanks, will buy the vignette although I have heard that Germans so despise this fee that they all dive off the motorway right before it is enforced in order to avoid the vignette although we won't be doing the same.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 5:26 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Excellent advice but alas we don't have any status with any of the rental agencies, unfortunately. The closest we have is with BA executive club with AVIS but I am a lowly Blue (the points are from family with a better account) and the price is about £305 compared to about £250 with other firms (including decent ones Alamo?) so maybe not worth it.

Thanks, will buy the vignette although I have heard that Germans so despise this fee that they all dive off the motorway right before it is enforced in order to avoid the vignette although we won't be doing the same.
No vignette necessary until Kufstein Süd now.
I'd fly to SZG if there was no premium; unbelievable rental cars are so much more expensive...

Unless on corp rates, I would never consider renting directly from the rental car companies.

A8 and A93 can become very congested on Friday afternoons.

Last edited by Chinatrvl; Jan 23, 2020 at 5:35 am
Old Jan 23, 2020, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
No vignette necessary until Kufstein Süd now.
I'd fly to SZG if there was no premium; unbelievable rental cars are so much more expensive...

Unless on corp rates, I would never consider renting directly from the rental car companies.

A8 and A93 can become very congested on Friday afternoons.
Yes there seems to be no advantage at all of going direct to the hire car firm, which is crazy really. I seem to find comparison sites have the same cars for about 30% less so why bother?

Good to know about the vignette and you're saying it wouldn't be needed in that case? It isn;t a big deal but at nearly 20 euros (have to get 2) I can see the benefit of not paying it if we don't have to!
Old Jan 23, 2020, 8:23 am
Suspended

It irritates the Germans because Germany has been unable to get a toll system passed in parliament and all of Europe's trucks roll around clogging up the Autobahn. Jealousy might be another word. For peace of mind, just buy it, it's not a great deal for the ten-day one. Or avoid the Autobahn, which is not that much of a problem going to Kitz.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 3:26 am
Original Poster

It irritates the Germans because Germany has been unable to get a toll system passed in parliament and all of Europe's trucks roll around clogging up the Autobahn. Jealousy might be another word. For peace of mind, just buy it, it's not a great deal for the ten-day one. Or avoid the Autobahn, which is not that much of a problem going to Kitz.
A couple of years ago we drove to Flacau and whilst there met some Germans. I remember them saying emphatically "soon you will have to pay for our roads and no more free route", it wasn't at all bad natured but it struck me by how much vigour and enthusiasm it evoked in him so I can well believe they might be frustrated about there still not being these tolls! I can fully understand it but then for the sake of 9 euros and given one is actually using the roads for which the toll is for it does seem a little churlish to avoid it at all costs!

We might buy it in that case, i guess it is just a matter of where to buy it before it is too late. I think once we have the hire car we might be able to get it online en-route so that seems like a fairly good option. Other than that I am sure you can get it just after the border (what border???).

Thanks for all of your help on this. Been great help. We went for Munich btw and now in the hire car phase of organisation!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.