Reload this Page >

MCT at AMS

MCT at AMS

Old Oct 28, 19, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
MCT at AMS

Is a 45 minute connection doable here? The flights are PHL-AMS-LCY and I only have carry on luggage. If I don't pick the LCY flight there is a later LHR bound flight but it would mean an almost 3 hour layover at AMS.

Thanks
Old Oct 28, 19, 8:29 pm

All you have to do is walk gate to gate which would be worst case 15 minutes, assuming it's on a single ticket no problem at all.
Old Oct 29, 19, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A word of caution here. AFAIK, KL does not fly direct from PHL to AMS so presumably this is on AA, connecting onto BA. Gate closure time on BA is normally 20 minutes so the OP will in fact have 25 minutes to connect. BA flights to LCY often leave from the far end of the D PIer (around gates 24/25 typically although some leave from the D6 bus gate). A little bit of delay, a Polderbaan arrival, slow moving crowd to disembark, all of this can easily eat away at the available time. Not sure what the OP precise times are but I can't find a connection at exactly 45 mins at AMS between AA from PHL and BA to LCY.

I don't see AA offering that either, which would suggest that this is below the MCT.

I certainly would not risk it on separate tickets. If it is all on one ticket, then it does not really matter as BA would rebook the OP onto the next available service if the connection was missed. If it is not on the same ticket, the OP should be ready to have to buy a new ticket at walk-up fare if they miss the BA flight.
Old Oct 29, 19, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info. It’s all one ticket. I’m flying AA 204 arriving at 10:55 AM then connecting to BA 431 leaving at 11:40 to LHR (not city).
Old Oct 29, 19, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
I'm surprised that the OP with the number of posts they have has neglected to provide basic information such as the airlines involved and if this is on single or separate tickets to enable them to be given accurate advice.
Old Oct 29, 19, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Thanks for all the info. It’s all one ticket. I’m flying AA 204 arriving at 10:55 AM then connecting to BA 431 leaving at 11:40 to LHR (not city).
As far as I can see, AA.com does not sell this connection and ITA matrix will also not allow it either. That does not look like a legal connection. Did AA or BA sell that to you or did a TA put it together?

If the former, you should be OK: if they agreed to sell it to you, then I would expect them to take responsibility in case of misconnect.

If the latter, I would be somewhat concerned that AA and BA might refuse to rebook in case of misconnect on the ground that it was below MCT and, as such, AYOR.
Old Oct 29, 19, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NickB View Post
As far as I can see, AA.com does not sell this connection and ITA matrix will also not allow it either. That does not look like a legal connection. Did AA or BA sell that to you or did a TA put it together?

If the former, you should be OK: if they agreed to sell it to you, then I would expect them to take responsibility in case of misconnect.

If the latter, I would be somewhat concerned that AA and BA might refuse to rebook in case of misconnect on the ground that it was below MCT and, as such, AYOR.
I put these segments together as part of an award ticket. And I just received an email from AA asking to call them. I tweeted AA and they said yes I need to call—the agent shouldn’t have booked that per your email indicates.

I will switch to the next flight.

That being said can I standby for that 11:40 if I make it? I’m AA EXP so emerald. I think I can standby for free.

Thanks!
Old Oct 29, 19, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I put these segments together as part of an award ticket. And I just received an email from AA asking to call them. I tweeted AA and they said yes I need to call—the agent shouldn’t have booked that per your email indicates.

That being said can I standby for that 11:40 if I make it? I’m AA EXP so emerald. I think I can standby for free.

Thanks!
Standby is a North American thing. Normally there is no standby on European airlines (other than where flexibility is built into the ticket, certain staff tickets or possibly in irrops situations) and you are required to fly on the original flight as booked unless you want a full re-fare at walk-up price. BA has free sameday change fares but you won't be on one of these if you are on an award. You can always try your luck asking at the gate but I would have thought that your chances of success are close to zero. It might work if you can get AA to change your award but I think that it would probably be too late to do that by the time you land in AMS
enviroian likes this.

Last edited by NickB; Oct 29, 19 at 8:08 am
Old Oct 30, 19, 8:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Thanks!
BA usually won’t do a thing to let me fly standby on such tickets. They make me call AA and get AA to change the BA flight on the award tickets — and AA will only do that change (for free) when there is BA award space available on the wanted BA flight. Been there and done that on AA-issued award tickets involving BA flights.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: