Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Budapest - Chain Bridge closed?

Old Aug 11, 19, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Hello All,

Hopefully this is the correct forum to post this. I have a trip next month (September) to Budapest. We picked a hotel close to the Chain Bridge. I am hearing that it either is closed now, or will be closed soon, for a 2 year renovation. Can anyone confirm if it is already closed, or when it is supposed to close?

TIA
Old Aug 12, 19, 5:51 am

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
According to this article you should be good - the tender deadline for the main contractor is 21/Aug, after that there are still quite a few steps before the works start.

"A Lánchíd felújítása a BKK ütemterve szerint 2019 őszén kezdődne, a kivitelezői ajánlatokat viszont augusztus 21-ig várják, ezt követi a bírálat, majd a szerződéskötéshez vezető tárgyalás, így az is kérdés, hogy mikorra sikerül elkezdeni a munkát. A megkívánt tapasztalatok miatt jó eséllyel csak a Strabag, a Swietelsky, a Duna Aszfalt és a Hídépítő-csoport tud majd pályázni a felújításra, de a Strabag és a Swietelsky dolgozik már többek között a hármas metró felújításán is."

https://hvg.hu/cegauto/20190812_Ket_...nchid_lezarasa
Travlur likes this.
Old Aug 12, 19, 6:15 am

Programs: A3 *G, IHG Plat Amb., Hilton Diamond, Radisson Gold, Accor Gold
WilcoRoger is correct; work has not started and there is a good chance it will not start even this year.

I live just a few blocks from the bridge and decided to walk there today and speak with some of the workers. The two I spoke with at different locations both stated that the rumor is the work will start after Christmas.

The workers are the ones selling various tickets around the bridge and Clarke Adam ter.
Travlur likes this.
Old Aug 13, 19, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Excellent. Thank you both for your help.