Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Istrian peninsula in mid/late October - weather?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:04 am
Original Poster

It seems to be the rainy season then. Anyone able to tell me what kind of weather to expect?

We love the idea of off-season traveling, and I've dreamed about Istria for quite some time now. The idea of having Rovinj all to ourselves has me drooling

A high of 18C seems pleasant enough. But the rain has me worried...

Thoughts?
Old Jul 3, 2019, 5:57 am

It really depends and there is no rule. Some years it's raining nonstop for 2 weeks, some years the weather is almost as if it is summer. But in general, the temperatures are mostly pleasant, not too cold and not too warm, and it can be rainy but nothing extreme. It also depends on the town you visit. Opatija, for example, which we could also say is on the Istrian peninsula tends to be rainy because of its location under the Učka mountains (don't know the exact reason but something due to its location) while the central and west part of Istria (including Rovinj) doesn't have that issue and the rain is not as common.

Last edited by MonikaCro; Jul 5, 2019 at 2:28 am
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MonikaCro
It really depends and there is no rule. Some years it's raining nonstop for 2 weeks, some years the weather is almost as if it is summer. But in general, the temperatures are mostly pleasant, not too cold and not too warm, and it can be rainy but nothing extreme. It also depends on the town you visit. Opatija for example which we could also say is on the Istrian peninsula tends to be rainy because of its location under the Učka mountains (don't know the exact reason but something due to its location) while the central and west part of Istria doesn't have that issue and the rain is not as common.
Thank you for such an amazingly detailed reply! It’s good to know that I’ll be somewhat more safe in Rovinj and Pula
Old Jul 5, 2019, 2:26 am

No problem. I hope you'll have a great time in Rovinj and that the weather will be great
Old Jul 5, 2019, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Would you mind if I asked you another question?

If I changed my visit to early July (2020 obviously!) how crowded would the area be from tourists? And how much could it affect one's enjoyment of the area?

I know Croatia is experiencing a tourism boom but I have no idea how popular Istria is with tourists.

Thanks!
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:40 am

Not at all, just ask anything Rovinj is pretty crowdy in July and August, unfortunately. But it's not unbearable (like in Dubrovnik for example where you have to walk in the river of people through the streets) If you really don't like crowds than maybe it would be best to avoid July and August. I personally would choose late September to visit Rovinj because the weather is still warm and sunny but it's not that crowdy anymore.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Thank you again, that's super helpful!

Since you're being so kind I will indeed ask another question

We have three kids (8, 7 and 5) and I've been wondering if I should make this a destination with them or just with my wife.

What kind of fun things would they enjoy in the area? They're not Disneyland kids, so no need for amusement parks or similar entertainment options. But swimming spots and adventure sites (like nearby Predjama Castle for example!) are right up their alley

Thanks Monika!
Old Jul 9, 2019, 2:47 am

There are quite a few things children might enjoy in the area. There are many amusement parks that I know of in Istria, the most popular ones being Glavani park not too far from Rovinj and Istralandia. But if your children are not into adrenaline stuff, there are many sights worth visiting. Adventure sites that I know of are Pula amphitheater, Pula aquarium, Brijuni national park with animals such as zebras, an elephant, ostriches... Since you don't mind going as far as Predjama Castle in Slovenia, there's Postojna Cave nearby too. Istria has many beautiful churches to see too but that might not be very interesting to children. As for swimming, there are beaches everywhere but if you're visiting in October it will be too cold to swim. If you're visiting in June, July or August then you can choose among tens of beaches nearby. In September it might still be warm enough to swim but I wouldn't count on it as it mostly gets too cold for swimming after 15th September (at least for me).
Old Jul 9, 2019, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Again that is so very helpful. Thank you so much for sharing your expertise with me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.