Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using only credit card in Europe?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DeeGee26.2
Thanks, I might have a read. I find the technical differences interesting, especially having lived in France when they began to adopt C+P before everyone else, but using a totally different system!

No verification at all?
None. Typically, you'll still get a signature slip at restaurants and other places where they want a tip. About an hour ago, I purchased $100 US worth of groceries, slid my chip card into the terminal, took it out, was handed a receipt and left the store. Truly no verification. I'm not 100% comfortable with it, but the security is no worse than before. How is looking at a signature on the back of the card extra security? Only if they look at an ID too, which really only happens at hotels, and never at all when you buy online...
Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by der_saeufer
It's the same PIN on American cards, but because the US doesn't use PIN for purchases, the chips in lots of US-issued cards do not support EMV PIN for purchases. You can request a PIN, but if the card's chip doesn't support EMV PIN, it won't help you--the train ticket kiosk in Europe will simply refuse to work. (See the EMV thread in the credit cards forum for more than you ever wanted to know about it)
To add, while in theory PIN isn't supposed to be asked for if the card's chip says it's not supported, I have heard reports of the cash advance PIN working at unattended terminals. That is definitely not something one should rely on to work, though.

Originally Posted by JBord
None. Typically, you'll still get a signature slip at restaurants and other places where they want a tip. About an hour ago, I purchased $100 US worth of groceries, slid my chip card into the terminal, took it out, was handed a receipt and left the store. Truly no verification. I'm not 100% comfortable with it, but the security is no worse than before. How is looking at a signature on the back of the card extra security? Only if they look at an ID too, which really only happens at hotels, and never at all when you buy online...
ID has issues too. For instance, I doubt the typical cashier is trained well enough to be able to readily detect fakes, especially if the store doesn't sell alcohol or other restricted products. Not to mention that if you have the resources to clone a card, you probably have the resources to produce/obtain a good enough fake (depending on the IDs a state issues).

That said, I doubt we'll get anything better than chip and signature/nothing, especially considering how hard contactless is being pushed. At least using your phone's mobile wallet is an option since US devices seem to always require PIN or fingerprint (unlike with some European phones where transactions under the contactless limit are typically allowed).
Old Jun 28, 2019, 5:16 am

I wouldn't go anywhere without at least a small amount of cash with me. Some places still don't accept credit cards, for example, public transportation, kiosks etc. You can use a credit card in most places but you never know why and when some cash will be required. So a minimum amount of cash is recommended to take with you.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MonikaCro
I wouldn't go anywhere without at least a small amount of cash with me. Some places still don't accept credit cards, for example, public transportation, kiosks etc. You can use a credit card in most places but you never know why and when some cash will be required. So a minimum amount of cash is recommended to take with you.
I agree. Stories of people using nothing but credit cards for vacations frankly baffle me. Not because you can't do it, but because you're very likely missing some fantastic places.

Last weekend we found a restaurant that makes phenomenal cheeseburgers. Two of us ate delicious burgers and fries for $22 -- and they only accept cash. There's also a dive bar near where I live that has a whole lot of interesting atmosphere, but they only accept cash. Try getting some of the most amazing street food in Thailand without cash.

This is, of course, not to mention how handy cash is for places where tipping is the norm, or for kiosks that don't accept US chip & signature cards.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 3:25 pm

I have never walked away from an experience because of lack of cash.

If I was in a country and saw that cash was needed for things, I would just go to an ATM. Almost never have cash at home either.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 6:28 am

Programs: DL 2MM, Plat; Marriott LT Titanium
I traveled in both Copenhagen and Oslo recently, spending four days in each city, and I got by with no cash. Credit card with pin was accepted everywhere. For public transportation in most cities, including Reykjavik, you can buy a card good for a few days on busses, trams, etc. If you really do get in a crunch, cash machines are usually close by.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 6:39 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Cardless travel is for sure easily possible in Scandinavia as even the smallest of pubs, public transport, department store toilets etc allow you to pay even the tiniest amount by card. You won't miss out on anything.

That said there are still many places in Europe where I recommend to have at least a tiny bit of cash as there are always some shops or cafes which do not accept cards, especially the more local ones. That even counts (or especially counts!) for such countries as Germany/Belgium, but also Southern and Eastern Europe.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Originally Posted by Romanianflyer
That said there are still many places in Europe where I recommend to have at least a tiny bit of cash as there are always some shops or cafes which do not accept cards, especially the more local ones. That even counts (or especially counts!) for such countries as Germany/Belgium, but also Southern and Eastern Europe.
This reflects my experience. Most recently, in Germany this spring, several cafes did not accept credit cards for small amounts. If I'd been caught cashless and unaware, I rather doubt that the wait staff would have been too happy to let me walk away with the bill unpaid in search of an ATM.
JBord and Romanianflyer like this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
There are a variety of other issues too. In some countries there are some payment systems common with shops where it is possible to pay with debit card but credit cards are weirdly not accepted (happened five years ago to me in the Netherlands - even at one of the country's largest supermarkets! Same at a major clothing store).

Then there is also the obvious problem of tipping. Yes, in Scandinavia that's easy by card as they will first enter the bill (eg. 1,000 NOK - approximately 100 EUR - which you might then adjust to a higher amount if you want to include a tip, eg to 1,1100 NOK if tipping 10 percent). However, this brilliant system is weirdly enough not existing in many other countries, where tips have to be left in cash. Sure, Europe is not the US and nobody bats an eye if its just a beer or a coffee, but for a sit-down meal at a restaurant or long day lounging at an outdoor terrace it would be rude not to tip if service/food etc is fine.
JBord likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.