Community
Wiki Posts
Search

8-Night Swiss Itinerary - Help Needed - Oct. 2019 via JFK>GVA>ZRH>JFK

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:37 am
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver - IHG Spire AMB - Hilton Gold - Choice Hotels Platinum - Hertz Gold FiveStar
Originally Posted by CarlTheWebmaster
> Fort Vitznau.

YES!!! Dress warm.

You may already know this, but the tour is offered only Fridays at 5pm unless you book a private tour.
Seems REALLY interesting...unfortunately I did notice the day restriction which does not work with our plans.... we would be in Montreux on Friday.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:46 am
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver - IHG Spire AMB - Hilton Gold - Choice Hotels Platinum - Hertz Gold FiveStar
I have to say after MANY more hours of researching, attractions, routes and hotels this weekend I had kinda overhauled my itinerary once again and now looking back, it's very much like what "DAldridge" (a member/tour advisor from the myswissalps forum) had presented to me last week with just a few of my own personal tweeks.

My new found "Update #2 " goes something like this....

GVA > Montreux (2-Nights) > Zermatt (2-Nights) > Lauterbrunnen (2-Nights) > Lucerne (2-Nights) > ZRH

Basically just swapping Base 1 & 2 in DAldridge's itinerary due to a few personal Pros and Cons:

Itinerary Change Pros:
  • ​Earlier start to Day-1 in Montreux
  • More time for all the Gruyeres & Broc to-do sights including chocolate and cheese factory tours and HR Giger Museum.
  • Earlier start to Day-3 in Zermatt
  • Reduced Train travel by approx. 4 hours vs. original route overall.
  • Added sight options in Lauterbrunnen - Trummelbach Falls, Jungfrau and/or Schilthorn.
Only downside I see is having to pull the extra days from Zermatt and Lucerne, so I think it's for the best. @:-)

Plus, like everyone keeps saying about the weather.... if let's say the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise doesn't work out due to weather in Zermatt, we have at least a similar experience option in Lauterbrunnen at the Jungfrau - Top of Europe, but an expensive one at that. Daylight and weather will basically dictate our options ultimately, so I'm going to try to focus less on individual sights and more on the regional option backup plans. Still SERIOUSLY considering a Heli tour in Zermatt or Lauterbrunnen as well, but we'll see if the budget and weather cooperates as we get closer.

I also realized over the weekend that to make the most of each base city we'll really have to get a decently early start to our days, especially on base transfer days, even if it means turning in early the second night at each location.

Hotels at each base at the top of my list:
  • Hotel Bellerive - Zermatt
  • Eurotel - Montreux
  • Hotel Silberhorn - Lauterbrunnen
  • Hotel Central - Luzern
Any feedback on any of these hotels by locals or recent guests? Trying to focus on location, Alpine style(modern/chic) and comfort over price. Would like the transfers between train and hotel to be as quick and easy as possible as well.

Thanks All... the journey continues!

Last edited by Tony300S; Mar 6, 2019 at 11:28 am Reason: Itinerary Edit AGAIN :P
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by Tony300S
... possible mountain trail hikes ...
Even if you only just sort of kind of maybe like hiking a little teeny bit, do not relegate "mountain trail hikes" to "possible." Hiking in the Swiss Alps is one of the most amazing, breathtaking experiences that any hiker will ever have. You will remember it for the rest of your life. It can be so beautiful that it defies description. And the trail network is incredibly well marked, plus there are good links between trail heads and public transportation, so it is easy for anyone with two legs to do.

There are many options - of the Swiss hikes that I've done, my favorites have been in the mountain passes above Lauterbrunnen, and a hike called the "Panoramaweg." The latter is fairly close to Zurich (short train and bus ride), but as the name implies, it is a day hike full of one astonishing vista after another. It's on a ridge for much of the way, with up-and-down stretches that most reasonably fit people can easily manage.
Tony300S likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:31 am
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by snic
Even if you only just sort of kind of maybe like hiking a little teeny bit, do not relegate "mountain trail hikes" to "possible." Hiking in the Swiss Alps is one of the most amazing, breathtaking experiences that any hiker will ever have. You will remember it for the rest of your life. It can be so beautiful that it defies description. And the trail network is incredibly well marked, plus there are good links between trail heads and public transportation, so it is easy for anyone with two legs to do.

There are many options - of the Swiss hikes that I've done, my favorites have been in the mountain passes above Lauterbrunnen, and a hike called the "Panoramaweg." The latter is fairly close to Zurich (short train and bus ride), but as the name implies, it is a day hike full of one astonishing vista after another. It's on a ridge for much of the way, with up-and-down stretches that most reasonably fit people can easily manage.
Thanks for the reply and STRONG suggestion @snic ! The hike options will for sure be included, dependant on weather of course, but also once I can figure out the best routes (hopping off and on spots) combined with our train/cable car mountain excursions.

I know I have read of some interesting hike/trail suggestions in the Mt. Rigi and Gornergrat Bahn areas for example, and we'll probably just depend on which ones to try/tackle based on the day, weather and our energy level haha.

I'm REALLY considering a Heli tour in Zermatt or Lauterbrunnen areas, so how that plays out will determine our peak trips and hikes. I would imagine once you see an area by sky the manual peak visits or hikes might lose some of their "magic", plus saving a few bucks AFTER a flight wouldn't hurt either. Time will tell!
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
I'm REALLY considering a Heli tour in Zermatt or Lauterbrunnen areas, so how that plays out will determine our peak trips and hikes. I would imagine once you see an area by sky the manual peak visits or hikes might lose some of their "magic", plus saving a few bucks AFTER a flight wouldn't hurt either. Time will tell!
Not having done a helicopter tour, I'm not sure how it compares, although I'm sure the scenery will be spectacular. But when you are out in nature, surrounded by green pastures, with cowbells clanking all around, and in the distance, clouds form and disappear over the mountain peaks in an ever-changing kaleidoscopic show... well, that's bound to be different from the experience inside a helicopter. And it's even better after a good climb, sitting on a log with a cheese sandwich, a bar of chocolate, and a bottle you just filled with cold water from the spring that feeds the nearest cow trough.

*sigh*. I think I need to head back to Switzerland!
Tony300S likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:51 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

HELP w/ Train Passes: So just surfing the SBB train timetables and costs, I don't see how our proposed trips could ever add up to near the cost of the STP 8-Day. With the super-saver option on some of these routes I'm not even adding up to half the STP.
  1. Am I missing something here?
  2. Could the 50% off the mountain passes/trams be that valuable?
  3. I do understand that not needing a ticket for each trip is convenient with the STP, but at twice the cost?
  4. Can anyone advise based on our proposed itinerary would would work best?
So to answer some of my own questions @shuigao, I DO see how the STP can be extremely valuable after filling in my own travel plans and excursion costs vs. the Half-Fare card or Full Fare rates.

Sights of particular value in my itinerary plans WITH the STP include:
  • Murren @ Schilthorn Swiss Skyline - 100% FREE - SAVE $52.50 CHF p/p vs. Half-Fare
  • Vitznau @ Mt. Rigi - 100% FREE - SAVE $25 CHF p/p vs. Half-Fare
  • Montreux @ Chateau de Chillon - 100% FREE
  • Gruyères @ HR Giger Museum/Gruyères Castle/La Maison du Gruyère - All 100% FREE
  • Broc @ Maison Cailler Chocolaterie - 100% FREE
  • Zermatt @ Zermatlantis (Matterhorn Museum) - 100% FREE
  • Lucerne @ Verkehrshaus (Swiss Museum of Transport) - 50% OFF - SAVE $16 CHF vs. Half-Fare
The 8-Day STP now comes out ahead in my 2019 calculations, but realize some of these discounts are new and if they were to change in 2020 the advantage may swing the other way quickly. :-:
Old Mar 6, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
If you have money to burn, stay at The Omnia in Zermatt. Absolutely worth it.
Tony300S likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:09 am
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
If you have money to burn, stay at The Omnia in Zermatt. Absolutely worth it.
Thanks, I had looked at that one as well. Seems that the Omnia and Hotel Bellerive are #1 and #2 on most hotel rating sites/visitor reviews with the Hotel Bellerive actually coming out on top.

Hotel Bellerive is also about $100 CHF LESS per night, but their dedicated website seems to not allow booking so far out, so not sure 100% of the other room/pricing options.

Location and style wise, they seem pretty similar though, just across the river from each other....only about 400m apart. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.