Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
The confirmed movement day is: 5-6 April 2019
Print Wikipost

Istanbul 'New' Airport ( IST/ISL ) - Master Thread ✈️

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2019, 1:39 am

Sounds like opening on 7 April is a bit unlikely then? Surely other airlines would have the same regulations that need to be met.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
I have found this article while surfing on the web. I am sharing this article which has been posted this week.

Ismilee and mafaky like this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
I have found this article while surfing on the web. I am sharing this article which has been posted this week.
I would like to thank you and the other posters for keeping us updated as we are schedule to transit on TK on 4-11 & 4-23 and this move will effect our layover plans. This article is very interesting espically since the catering facilites are not completed and the safety concerns. I do have a question about elections towards end of March. If the incumbants lose the election, what date do the new adminstration take office? Thanks again and safe travels!
Ismilee likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by northsideguy

I would like to thank you and the other posters for keeping us updated as we are schedule to transit on TK on 4-11 & 4-23 and this move will effect our layover plans. This article is very interesting espically since the catering facilites are not completed and the safety concerns. I do have a question about elections towards end of March. If the incumbants lose the election, what date do the new adminstration take office? Thanks again and safe travels!
In your specific travel dates, unless you are scheduled for a long layover, there won't be any problems. You would arrive to the same airport and depart from the same airport if both of your flight are marked "IST".

None of the administrations ( including the Ministry of Transport ) won't change as the election at the end of March is local elections where eligible voters vote for their mayor and local parliament for their city and their district. So this election has nothing to do with the airport directly. However, the government party doesn't want to lose votes, especially in Istanbul, so they are not postponing the movement date nowadays.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:13 pm

Thanks for posting - very informative.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:23 pm

Thanks for your response. Our problem is we can’t book the Bosphorus Experience with these delay in the move dates. TK was no help at all, as CS kept saying I was ineligible ( we are traveling J class with 9 1/2 hour layover for the breakfast trip). I got in contact with TAV, who stated we are eligible but they dont have a contract with TK for the new airport. Oh well, such is life, but we did save a bundle! Thanks again and safe travels!
Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:10 pm

Programs: QR Privilege Club
There are a number of material mistakes in that article. However, I cannot fully say that it's a totally "misleading" one. The author should have done some deeper research, especially regarding the figures and then the said article would be more enlightening and possibly more objective one. Today I don't have the time to go over those mistakes, but will try to do so later during the week.
Ismilee and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:16 pm

The very latest indications reveal that the Big Movement is going to happen on April 5th & 6th, and all airlines will resume operations from Istanbul Airport starting 00:01 (local time) on 7th.

One curious member at wowturkey Forum made some investigations:
1) He selected a TK international flight out from AHL on a date prior to April 5th and attempted to buy a ticket. That ticket indicated a "Airport Tax" corresponding to USD15, which is the current practice at IHL. He then attempted to buy a second ticket on April 15th for the same destination: this time the Airport Tax corresponded to €20 (which is the practice at Istanbul Airport).
2) Later he checked numerous TK Fights out from Istanbul/European side, after 7th. A lot of USA flights looks like "cancelled" and some for more than a week. Similar cases for some European flights. Some frequencies seem to be reduced and then again increased over a period of 2 weeks (like CDG, MAD, AMS). Well this means that either these flights are cancelled (which is the worse option of the findings) or those flights are not on sale yet (as of yesterday) for whatever reason... We'll soon see, possibly during this week...

Another Forum member whom I know privately has better insider information from TK. He says, around 4.000 flights will be cancelled during the "transition period" until TK's S19 timetable will be re-aligned to the routine one, in April. In my opinion, so many cancellations indicate this transition period to be 2-3 weeks, starting from the 7th.

Again we'll see, by the time comes (or whenever these cancellations will be publicly announced...)!

LAST MINUTE NOTICE: As of now, there's the official declaration from TK (on their website) that Ataturk Airport based flights will be ceased by April 6th, 02:00 a.m. and all TK operations will start from the (New) Istanbul Airport will commence starting 02:00 p.m. on the same day. (To be cancelled flights, excluded)

So this time that Big Movement is for real but I am very sceptic about its consequences and possible problems arising during the next several months...
ISTFlyer likes this.

Last edited by mafaky; Mar 11, 2019 at 12:51 am
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:14 am

This announcement is now posted on TK’s website.
Ismilee likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:46 am

Tha above statement on TK's site is misleading: There will be a black out period between 02:00 and 14:00 (local times) on 6th April, for TK fights. After 14:00 hrs. (2 p.m.) TK flights will resume but there will be many cancellations for the next 2 weeks or so.
ISTFlyer likes this.

Last edited by mafaky; Mar 11, 2019 at 3:14 am
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:23 am

Hi Flyers I have a scheduled flight from CPH via Istanbul to BKK on the 4 of april, 1 day before the planned move. I have now got a email with a schedule change so that i will fly from CPH to IST Ataturk, and instead of the 4 hours stopover i have now a scheduled flight almost 28 hours later on the 5 april 20.15 instead of 4 April 20.15 from the new Airport. This of course is causing troubles for both booked hotels etc in BKK, but what about accommodation in Istanbul and transfer to new Airport the day after if i choose to keep the booking. Can i count on getting hotel/transfer and so on paid by TK ?...
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cphi4545
Hi Flyers I have a scheduled flight from CPH via Istanbul to BKK on the 4 of april, 1 day before the planned move. I have now got a email with a schedule change so that i will fly from CPH to IST Ataturk, and instead of the 4 hours stopover i have now a scheduled flight almost 28 hours later on the 5 april 20.15 instead of 4 April 20.15 from the new Airport. This of course is causing troubles for both booked hotels etc in BKK, but what about accommodation in Istanbul and transfer to new Airport the day after if i choose to keep the booking. Can i count on getting hotel/transfer and so on paid by TK ?...
You could call the call center and request to change your ticket depending on availability. A local sales office would also work. I am not sure if they would give accommodation to you because you have the option to cancel your ticket. Contact the hotel department of Turkish Airlines to see if you are eligible. ( You could find the relevant e-mail address for the hotel department in the TK Miles&Smiles forum ) If you are booked on the 20:15 flight ( TK64 ) on the 5th, your flight would depart from Atatürk Airport. However, if you want to avoid the chaos, I would suggest you to cancel your ticket and rebook your flights on another airline.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:48 am

You could call the call center and request to change your ticket depending on availability. A local sales office would also work. I am not sure if they would give accommodation to you because you have the option to cancel your ticket. Contact the hotel department of Turkish Airlines to see if you are eligible. ( You could find the relevant e-mail address for the hotel department in the TK Miles&Smiles forum ) If you are booked on the 20:15 flight ( TK64 ) on the 5th, your flight would depart from Atatürk Airport. However, if you want to avoid the chaos, I would suggest you to cancel your ticket and rebook your flights on another airline.
Thank you IstFlyer, you might be right, i have booked trough an agency so have to contact them, but the best is maybe to avoid TK complete during this period.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:57 am

ISTFlyer, thank you for your reply.

I think you are right about getting a refund and try to avoid IST and TK during this chaotic transition period. I have to contact agency as i have booked through them and hope that they apply to the refund ruling by TK.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:19 am

Unfortunatly we have a 9 1/2 hour layover on the 11th. Just playing devil’s advocate, could this be just a red herring for the elections?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.