Search

Late August 2019 Trip to Greece

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 1:11 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Late August 2019 Trip to Greece

I'm finalizing our family trip to Greece this later August. Here is tentative plan:

3 nights in Athens, Marriott Athens
1 night in Santorini (Oia), at Santorini Secrete Suites, Hyatt
5 nights in Crete, at Dome of Elonda, Marriott.

Total 9 nights. All are reward bookings

The 5 nights in Crete is the 4 nights and one free night. I can also do 2 nights in Athens and 2 nights at Santorini. I think it is a rush at both places. The other radical plan is to shorten the stay at Crete and stay longer at Athens. But I can't take advantage of Marriott's 4+1 extra night.

For flights, we'll fly directly from EWR to ATH, then ferry or local flight to Santorini. Then ferry to Crete. The return flight is from Crete (HER) back to US. We'll be using reward booking and the round trip costs about 65k miles.

Any recommendation or suggestions about the itinerary? We are excited to go to Greece and do not want to wait....
Old Feb 7, 2019, 5:39 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Athens can be blisteringly hot in August. Personally, I'd maximize the time spent by the coast.
Glensea, :D! and RedSun like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:09 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Most of the hotels in Santorini can only accommodate two people. Any hotels there that can accommodate more than 2 people. Now I book two rooms each night. It is not cheap.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 1:00 am

Greek islands are expensive (and crowded) from mid-June to and including September! But May and October are usually warm and even Greeks can swim in the cool-ish waters of fall...
Old Mar 16, 2019, 9:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Looking at a similar trip next week- lots of hotels closed up though, a bit early in the season. ATH two nights and then a hybrid of the islands.(7 nights) Final night at the airport hotel (for a 6 AM flight- yawn)

Last edited by beckoa; Mar 16, 2019 at 9:10 pm Reason: Clarification
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
...a bit early in the season...
If you don't mind cool water or you don't care about swimming, it's the best time of year. The zillions of wild flowers as soon as you leave the cities will amaze you.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 6:04 am

The best time to visit the Greek islands and beaches of Greece is from late May to early October when the weather is great and there's little rain. The sea temperature warms throughout the summer and swimming is best in July, August, and September.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:44 am

Yes, true. Add to that >30 million tourists coming to Greece during this precise period of the year...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.