Wiki Posts
Search

Taxis to/from Amsterdam Centraal

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2018, 7:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Taxis to/from Amsterdam Centraal

If it pouring rain when we arrive on a Tuesday afternoon, we'll be taking a taxi between Amsterdam Centraal and a small restaurant called Winkel 43 located at Noordermarkt 43. I have a few questions.

• Where do you get the taxi from the train station?
  • How do you get a taxi back to the train station from the restaurant? Can you hail a taxi?
  • What is the approximate fare leaving the train station between 3:30-4pm and retuning to Amsterdam Centraal after rush hour?

Thank you.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
There is a rank on the Ij side of the station but I can't remember specific location.

Can't help with your other questions but the restaurant should be able to call you a cab and there is always Uber.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

I hadn't considered Uber. If the restaurant doesn't have wifi, Uber won't work. If it does, I've never used Uber in Europe. Is there "surge pricing" in Amsterdam? I now avoid Uber in NYC in favor of Lyft. But maybe Uber and its drivers are more honest in Amsterdam.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 3:21 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Unless you need to take a taxi or Uber I would walk. It's a 10-minute walk from the station, and you'd probably not be much faster (but potentially slower) by car.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mfkne
Unless you need to take a taxi or Uber I would walk. It's a 10-minute walk from the station, and you'd probably not be much faster (but potentially slower) by car.
I agree & would very much prefer to walk. I'm merely getting info in advance in case it is pouring rain outside. If it were pouring in NYC, Uber would implement surge pricing. I want to find out if that is the case in Amsterdam. Thanks.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
surge pricing happens everywhere when demand outstrips supply and uber hopes that increasing the price will either reduce demand or entice some of its drivers out to make some money

Normal taxis generally can't surge price in the same way so in that case I would go to the normal rank at Centraal and ask the restaurent to call you ca taxi when you are ready to leave.

Saying that it is a nice walk from Noordrmarkt to Central on some of the side streets / canal

Shame you are not there on a Saturday as there is a nice actual market there and around the corner is the Lindengract market which is a proper local market rather than a tourist one.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
surge pricing happens everywhere when demand outstrips supply and uber hopes that increasing the price will either reduce demand or entice some of its drivers out to make some money

Normal taxis generally can't surge price in the same way so in that case I would go to the normal rank at Centraal and ask the restaurent to call you ca taxi when you are ready to leave.
Ahhh so surge pricing is global. Thank you for the warning. I wouldn't take a taxi or car service if the weather weren't abysmal so I would assume that demand would be higher in bad weather. So I'll take a taxi if need be.

Any idea what the taxi fare could be?

Saying that it is a nice walk from Noordrmarkt to Central on some of the side streets / canal

Shame you are not there on a Saturday as there is a nice actual market there and around the corner is the Lindengract market which is a proper local market rather than a tourist one.
This won't be my last time in Amsterdam. Always good to know about that for future visits. Thank you.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 7:48 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Analise
I agree & would very much prefer to walk. I'm merely getting info in advance in case it is pouring rain outside. If it were pouring in NYC, Uber would implement surge pricing. I want to find out if that is the case in Amsterdam. Thanks.
I was in Amsterdam for a meeting in September. I stayed at a hotel in the Dam area.

On Saturday night, we had a hosted dinner at the Hotel De L'Europe. It would have been less than a ten minutes walk along Rokin. However, it was pouring, so I used Uber. Big mistake.

Traffic was horrible. Due to the canals and newly implemented traffic patterns, the driver had to take a circuitous route that was five times the distance, 3 km instead of ~600 meters (0.4 mile). The ride lasted 23 minutes and cost over €20 due to an X2 surge pricing.

Lesson learnt.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you walk from a train toward the main exit, there are signs for taxis. It should be easy, although there could be a line if it's raining hard.
Analise likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TWA884
I was in Amsterdam for a meeting in September. I stayed at a hotel in the Dam area.

On Saturday night, we had a hosted dinner at the Hotel De L'Europe. It would have been less than a ten minutes walk along Rokin. However, it was pouring, so I used Uber. Big mistake.

Traffic was horrible. Due to the canals and newly implemented traffic patterns, the driver had to take a circuitous route that was five times the distance, 3 km instead of ~600 meters (0.4 mile). The ride lasted 23 minutes and cost over €20 due to an X2 surge pricing.

Lesson learnt.
Appreciate the warning.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
Uber sucks in Amsterdam and Lyft is not there. Even though they were going to be 15+ minutes late they charged me when I canceled. Even in rain walking is generally easier and faster. I was there last week and that was my experience.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 5:46 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Why not just take the tram?
Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:04 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by thomas199023
Why not just take the tram?
If a tram will get you there, they are awesome. There is an attendant on board that speaks English and you can pay for your ticket with a CC if you want to. Most of them run every seven minutes or so .... well except for when I was changing hotels in September, and one particular line didn't run for 50 minutes due to construction (that is what they said). After that, I would stop a couple of stops before my hotel, go to supermarket and return to the stop just in time for the next tram
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:50 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by EmailKid
There is an attendant on board that speaks English and you can pay for your ticket with a CC if you want to.
Now you tell me?

You could have saved me a lot of time and about €20 had you told me that when we were in Amsterdam in September; I could have taken the tram down Rokin instead of getting an Uber grand tour of Amsterdam on the way to the dinner at the Hotel De L'Europe.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 8:04 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by TWA884

Now you tell me?

You could have saved me a lot of time and about €20 had you told me that when we were in Amsterdam in September; I could have taken the tram down Rokin instead of getting an Uber grand tour of Amsterdam on the way to the dinner at the Hotel De L'Europe
I did not take the tram until Sunday when I was changing hotels, and then because one of the subway lines was not running (ya, had a run of bad luck wtih public transport, including having to take the train from FRA when the flight to AMS was CXed).

BTW, found out the hard way that there are at least THREE public buses running in Amsterdam, and while tickets are valid on the tram from two of them, not so much with each other. Express Bus to Schippol did not accept tram 24 hour ticket .... so a little confusing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.