Overnight Train from Tbilisi to Yerevan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overnight Train from Tbilisi to Yerevan

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2018, 3:51 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Ok. I'd suggest doing another day trip in Georgia, or extending your Kazbegi trip. If you go to northern Armenia, you'll spend a lot of time driving. The landscape is beautiful, but there are a lot of things to do in Georgia as well. Consider renting a car for a couple of days and traveling around.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 5:13 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
If looking for stuff in Georgia, besides gorgeous Kazbegi (stop at Ananuri on your way there) which you already mentioned:
- Signaghi, cute town in the `Tuscany` of Georgia, the country`s main wine area.
- David Gareji cave monastery
- Gori (Stalin Museum) and Uplistsikhe (cave city) - these are a short distance from each other and make also a good day trip.
- Mtskheta, nice town with important church as its a centre of Georgian Orthodox Christianity. Also visit the Jvari Monastery high above town with lovely views of the river confluence and the town.

I easily combined Signaghi and David Gareji on public transport [marshrutka to Signaghi, taxi from there and back to David Gareji], so if having own wheels this is certainly doable.

If having own wheels and leaving early, even Gori, Uplistsikhe and Mtskheta makes a long, but absolutely stunning day sightseeing. It would be a packed day, but they are all relatively close from Tbilisi.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by KLouis
When they stop at bakeries and stores, it's because the drivers get a percentage of your purchases or, occasionally, because the bakeries or stores belong to one of their friends/family members. I'm almost certain that your driver will find a "good" excuse to stop there even if you don't like the idea.

PS "Same" for the restaurant, it's not usually picked randomly, neither due to its quality...
Oh, I know that. That's why I despise tours like that, but it made a little more sense in this scenario. I could probably guess that out of the 43 countries I've visited so far, I've participated in some sort of tour maybe 3 times.

Originally Posted by Palal
Ok. I'd suggest doing another day trip in Georgia, or extending your Kazbegi trip. If you go to northern Armenia, you'll spend a lot of time driving. The landscape is beautiful, but there are a lot of things to do in Georgia as well. Consider renting a car for a couple of days and traveling around.
I currently have the car rented for two days, but I may look at extending that to give myself more time to explore.

Originally Posted by Romanianflyer
If looking for stuff in Georgia, besides gorgeous Kazbegi (stop at Ananuri on your way there) which you already mentioned:
- Signaghi, cute town in the `Tuscany` of Georgia, the country`s main wine area.
- Gori (Stalin Museum) and Uplistsikhe (cave city) - these are a short distance from each other and make also a good day trip.
- Mtskheta, nice town with important church as its a centre of Georgian Orthodox Christianity. Also visit the Jvari Monastery high above town with lovely views of the river confluence and the town.

I easily combined Signaghi and David Gareji on public transport [marshrutka to Signaghi, taxi from there and back to David Gareji], so if having own wheels this is certainly doable.

If having own wheels and leaving early, even Gori, Uplistsikhe and Mtskheta makes a long, but absolutely stunning day sightseeing. It would be a packed day, but they are all relatively close from Tbilisi.
Excellent suggestions, thank you. I may use that extra day to visit Gori, Uplistsikhe and Mtskheta. I move very quickly when I travel, so a packed day is ideal! The other option is of course to extend my Kazbegi time. I love hiking so that would give me the opportunity to do some more hiking up there.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Romanianflyer

Thanks for the recommendations. I leave next week for the Caucuses. Final itinerary has me with one day in Baku, 2 in Tbilisi, 1,5 in Kazbegi and 1 on a day trip to Northern Armenia (country counter). Any hike recommendations in the Kazbegi area that can be done in one day? Looks like most recommend the Gergeti Glacier Hike which would be convenient since I plan on photographing the church around sunset (weather permitting of course).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.