Wiki Posts
Search

Mistake in name at Ryan intra-Schengen flight ticket

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2018, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Mistake in name at Ryan intra-Schengen flight ticket

Hi,
I have tickets to RyanAir flight from Barcelona to Porto this July. The problem is that I made typo mistake in a family name: missed one letter and replaced inner space with hyphen (-). For example, instead of John Elliot Smith in Passport there is John Elliot-Mith in ticket. The same mistake is in all 4 our family tickets. We are non-EU citizens.
The option to fix the ticket name at Ryan site costs 110€ per person (440€ total ). Name fix at the airport will cost full 160€ per person.
I wonder, what is the risk to go to the gate as is, without fixing a mistake? As long as it is intra-Schengen flight, who will check the ticket to passport compatibility and how carefully? Do I need to retype my family name during online check-in and will it be problem there? What would you do in my place?
I'll be gratefull for any advice.

Edit
We do not have baggage to drop at a desk, only big cabin bag that will be presented at the gate and sent to the aircraft. So the first Ryan rep that will see my tickets will be at the boarding gate.

Last edited by mobzy; Jul 6, 2018 at 3:35 am Reason: Important info
Old Jul 5, 2018, 8:09 pm

As a rule, Ryanair does anything possible to extract more cash from you. Don't expect them to let you check-in with your wrong number, especially when they already have this "service" in their price list.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 12:53 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by mobzy
I wonder, what is the risk to go to flight as is, without fixing the mistake? As long as it is intra-Schengen flight, who will check the ticket to passport compatibility and how carefully? Do I need to retype my family name during online check-in and will it be problem there? What would you do in my place?
I'll be gratefull for any advice.
You will be required to get your BP stamped by FR as you're non-Schengen citizens and FR requires those passengers to show their passports/travel documents at a visa check desk. Will it be a problem? I don't know. IATA rules allow for a maximum of three incorrect letters in a name. AFAIK, FR isn't a member of IATA. Anecdotally, a colleague did inadvertently switch first and last names and could fly on FR without a problem (the name was however correctly spelled).

"What would you do in my place?" Check how much new tickets are. The ideal option would be to book completely refundable tickets on a later flight. If FR wants to charge you the change fee and the fee is higher than your refundable flights, write off the FR tickets and fly on the other tickets. If FR doesn't make a problem of the spelling, cancel the refundable tickets.

Edit: On many dates in July, BCN-OPO is less than half what FR is asking to change the name.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Removed

Removed

Last edited by mobzy; Jul 6, 2018 at 3:48 am Reason: Removed
Old Jul 6, 2018, 3:32 am
Original Poster

We do not have baggage to drop at a desk

I've added this important detail:

We do not have baggage to drop at a desk, only big cabin bag that will be presented at the gate and sent to the aircraft. So the first Ryan rep that will see my tickets will be at the boarding gate.

The question actually is: will he/she deal with my mistake at boarding hate?
Old Jul 6, 2018, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Visa check desk?

Originally Posted by WorldLux
You will be required to get your BP stamped by FR as you're non-Schengen citizens and FR requires those passengers to show their passports/travel documents at a visa check desk.
What is Visa check desk and where is it located? As long as I check in online and has no buggage to drop I thought that my 1st meeting with FR rep will be at boarding gate. Who will send me to a visa check desk?
You are talking about BP stamping, but I'm not required to print it. Should I?

On many dates in July, BCN-OPO is less than half what FR is asking to change the name.
I'm not sure I've undestood. You mean half of aircraft seats are not occupied?
Old Jul 6, 2018, 6:49 am

As I implied in an earlier post, if their company asks for 160€ to correct a typo at the airport, I am almost certain that they'll check and most probably, they won't let you board (do the agents get a percentage of that?). As Worldlux suggested, it may be cheaper for you to buy new tickets...
Old Jul 6, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by mobzy
I've added this important detail:

The question actually is: will he/she deal with my mistake at boarding hate?
Remember: Ryanair requires non-EU/Schengen citizens to go to a visa check before going through security!

Originally Posted by Ryanair
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR ALL NON EU/EEA PASSENGERS
Irrespective of a passenger's visa requirements, all non EU/EEA citizens must have their travel documents checked and stamped at the Ryanair Visa/Document Check Desk before going through airport security.

Non EU/EEA passengers must do this in order to ensure compliance with immigration authorities. We reserve the right to refuse travel, if there is a failure to comply with this requirement.

If you have been denied boarding and require immediate clarification please call +353 1 2480860 to speak to one of our team (subject to opening hours)
Old Jul 6, 2018, 7:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Why would FR do for free that for which it charges a fee?

It is a fee-based carrier and you should fully expect that unless the staff are careless, that they will see the misspelling and require the fee.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 12:45 am
Original Poster

Visa check desk

You will be required to get your BP stamped by FR as you're non-Schengen citizens and FR requires those passengers to show their passports/travel documents at a visa check desk.
What is Visa check desk and where is it located? As long as I check in online and has no buggage to drop I thought that my 1st meeting with FR rep will be at boarding gate. This is the 1st time I hear about it from your answers. Otherwise, I could not guess about this visa check desk existence. Who will send me to a visa check desk?

You are talking about BP stamping at Visa check desk , but there is no requirement to print it. Should I print?
Old Jul 7, 2018, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How much will 4 new tickets cost? Less that 440 Euros?
Old Jul 7, 2018, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Resolved

The issue was surprisely resolved. I've talked with Ryan rep at their Web chat and she fixed the mistake for free.

Thank you for all responses! I learned new details that probably I would have problems without them (visa desk).
Old Jul 7, 2018, 9:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
In practice, I've found that FR no longer requires (or even offers) visa checks on intra-Schengen flights. At least not for SXF-BRU/RIX/BUD, BRU/RIX-SXF, and, as a bonus, Wizzair didn't let me even get to the visa check desk (and didn't require it) for BUD-BOD. I'm not sure why the website doesn't reflect this policy, but I've encountered this too much for it to be a coincidence (to be clear: on every flight, I went into the check-in line, asked for a visa check, and upon seeing my BP, I was told that it's not necessary because it's intra-Schengen. My passport was, of course, checked at the gate during regular boarding. It may be worth going through these motions for anyone who stumbles upon this reply, just to be safe, but it's certainly nice to know it's not a huge deal).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.