Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Visiting Prague and traveling to Munich

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2018, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Question Visiting Prague and traveling to Munich

Hello - This will be our first time to visit Prague in July for 3 nights/4 days. We are staying in the Prague 1 area and would appreciate any recommendations for us to (Must Do) and see. I have a family of four with two older teens who are athletic, like to explore and have no severe limitations. We arrive on Wednesday afternoon in Prague and will leave Saturday to travel to Munich, Germany. We will definitely go to the main square, Prague Castle and Charles bridge. Since our time is limited I'd like to book a tour but need suggestions as the best way to see the city in a day (Walking tour, River Cruise, Food tour)? Any suggestions for tour companies and companies to stay away from would be much appreciated. We would also entertain a half day tour out of the city if there is something worthwhile to see or do.

On Saturday we will make our way to Munich Germany since it is our last stop on our European tour before we head back home. Can anyone suggest the best form of transportation from Munich to Prague? We don't want to take a flight so our options are train, bus (Flixbus, StudentAgency) or Car. Has anyone made the trip from Prague to Munich and what they preferred? Any opinions on Flixbus vs. StudentAgency bus? What was your experience?

Thank you again for any suggestions you have.

Děkuji and na zdraví!
Jason

Last edited by jemgazo; May 17, 2018 at 10:10 am
Old May 17, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Originally Posted by jemgazo
On Saturday we will make our way to Munich Germany since it is our last stop on our European tour before we head back home. Can anyone suggest the best form of transportation from Munich to Prague? We don't want to take a flight so our options are train, bus (Flixbus, StudentAgency) or Car. Has anyone made the trip from Prague to Munich and what they preferred? Any opinions on Flixbus vs. StudentAgency bus? What was your experience?

Thank you again for any suggestions you have.

Děkuji and na zdraví!
Jason
Buses are cramped and uncomfortable in my opinion - and you'd only see the highway. Go for the train.

The trick is not to book on the German railways website (which somehow wants to force everyone in a bus and doesn't show connections/prices here) - but on the Czech website. It's just 15 EUR in 2nd class (perfectly acceptable) or otherwise 35 EUR first class, which is a steal too. The journey is nice, and the train even has an on-board bar, so treat yourself to a good Czech pilsner beer while you watch the scenery.

More info, pictures and how to book the train can be found here:
https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-ro...e-by-train.htm
jemgazo likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
[QUOTE=Romanianflyer;29765426]Buses are cramped and uncomfortable in my opinion - and you'd only see the highway. Go for the train.

/QUOTE]

I agree. The bus is fine for short trips, but this is not a short trip.

OP - is the reason for not flying the cost? If so, then the train is best. But if not, Lufthansa flies a nonstop 50 minute flight from PRG-MUC. It will take a couple hours of your day vs. 6 hours sitting on a train. Of course airports tend to be further from the city center than train stations as well. Just wanted to throw out the idea as a way to save you some time.

Also, I'd suggest visiting the Jewish quarter in Prague. Even if you're not religious, the synagogues are interesting and the cemetery is quite moving. I think tours are available, however I didn't use one when I visited. It's a simple walk from Old Town.
jemgazo likes this.
Old May 18, 2018, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Was just in Prague and my friend from Munich came to visit while I was there. He used the FlixBus but there is a train option & RegioJet bus too. Wanderu.com does a pretty decent job of showing you options available on the day and the prices. It's a long ride on a bus so I'd suggest train (you can walk around, have bathroom, visit the dining car) or drive it. The roads are good with easy signage with the option of stopping along the way to see something.

Prague is a relatively small city in my opinion. I was there 5 days 4 nights and was pretty active in exploring it. Really enjoyed it. The metro system goes to a lot of places. Most days I would go out in one direction for a few hours and then use the Metro System to ride over to a different district to change things up. The trams are a nice way to see the city too. If you're an active family I wouldn't say a tour is necessary. Walking along the river is nice but sailing one didn't appeal to me compared to using my feet.
Go to Krcma for pork knuckle and up to the Latensky Zamecek for a nice view over the city with a few food & beer options. It's an easy hike up the hill to earn the eats & drink.
Old May 21, 2018, 2:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
My suggestions
  • Prague Castle-walk through the entryway into the courtyard area looking down. Only after you enter the courtyard should you look up.
  • Letna Beer Garden-nice place to relax and have lunch
  • Petřín Lookout Tower
  • Vyšehrad Castle
  • Ss. Cyril and Methodius Cathedral-where the paratroopers from Operation Anthropoid were finally killed
  • Vítkov Hill for a nice view
jemgazo likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 2:11 pm

Also try to avoid Prague scams, Janek from Honest Guide has good videos - it could help
Old Jun 3, 2018, 2:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by marketa1883
Also try to avoid Prague scams, Janek from Honest Guide has good videos - it could help
Janek does more than just detail how to avoid scams. He also provides instructions on traveling from PRG to the city centre, traveling to other cities, including Karlovy Vary (I highly recommend visiting), and gives you tips on some places to visit in the city.
jemgazo likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
mrs pbiflyer just did the bus trip from Munich to Prague last September. Other than a wreck that delayed their arrival, she said it was fine. Wifi on the bus. Can't remember which one she used. If I remember, the bus was quicker and cheaper.
All things being equal, I would always pick train over bus though. You can walk around and there is a dining car.
jemgazo likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 1:27 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by pbiflyer

Wifi on the bus. Can't remember which one she used. If I remember, the bus was quicker and cheaper.
All things being equal, I would always pick train over bus though. You can walk around and there is a dining car.
Yes, train travel is much more comfortable @:-)

About that WiFi - only used RegioJet, aka StudentAgency (maybe fka) for buses except for PolskiBus from Katowicze to Vienna, and with both of these the WiFi connected to the internet ONLY in their own country, though IIRC RegioJet alwos works in Slovakia due to close ties to this day (following Velvet divorce).
Old Jun 29, 2018, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the recommendation. Train is our first choice so we can travel comfortably however the cost for the four of us to travel from Prague to Munich is 11,024 Czech Koruna = $495 US Dollars!! That includes a bus ride stop to Nuremburg then hop on a train to Munich. Thats more than a one way airplane ticket. Options are limited for flights so we decided to book with Flixbus which is about $35 USD per person and we get there at a decent time.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 2:37 pm

Thank you for the recommendation. Train is our first choice so we can travel comfortably however the cost for the four of us to travel from Prague to Munich is 11,024 Czech Koruna = $495 US Dollars!! That includes a bus ride stop to Nuremburg then hop on a train to Munich. Thats more than a one way airplane ticket. Options are limited for flights so we decided to book with Flixbus which is about $35 USD per person and we get there at a decent time.
For which dates you are looking? I find that price a bit hard to believe.

Even if looking for a train tomorrow there are plenty of direct trains for 632 CZK (28 USD).

Note that if you travel date is between 28 July to 10 September 2018 there is a disruption due to works on the line so there are no direct trains. Yet there is an easy solution for it by entering the border town of "Cheb" under the option "travel via". You are then rerouted first on a train from Prague to Cheb, then an easy same platform change (trains will wait for each other) to Nuremberg, and then a connecting ICE high speed train to Munich. The two changes might sound as a bit of a hassle but it is very straightforward and these trains generally run always on time.

On all July dates 2nd class tickets are available at 422 CZK (19 USD) - with first class only be a fraction more. Key is - as always for most journeys through/from/via Czech Republic - to book at the Czech Railways and not with ze Germans. Weirdly, Prague-Cheb-Nuremberg-Munich at the Czechs is often ten times cheaper than just the Nuremberg-Munich bit alone if you would book the tickets with the German Railways..!

(Admittedly, European railways are nowhere near airlines when it comes to easy schedules/places where to book tickets - it can be a minefield at times if you don't know where to look & book!)
Old Jun 29, 2018, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

I found the price on CD.CZ traveling from Prague to Munich for four on 7/28/2018 which now makes sense since there is construction as you mentioned.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 3:13 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Romanianflyer
For which dates you are looking? I find that price a bit hard to believe.

Even if looking for a train tomorrow there are plenty of direct trains for 632 CZK (28 USD).

Note that if you travel date is between 28 July to 10 September 2018 there is a disruption due to works on the line so there are no direct trains. Yet there is an easy solution for it by entering the border town of "Cheb" under the option "travel via". You are then rerouted first on a train from Prague to Cheb, then an easy same platform change (trains will wait for each other) to Nuremberg, and then a connecting ICE high speed train to Munich. The two changes might sound as a bit of a hassle but it is very straightforward and these trains generally run always on time.

On all July dates 2nd class tickets are available at 422 CZK (19 USD) - with first class only be a fraction more. Key is - as always for most journeys through/from/via Czech Republic - to book at
the Czech Railways and not with ze Germans. Weirdly, Prague-Cheb-Nuremberg-Munich at the Czechs is often ten times cheaper than just the Nuremberg-Munich bit alone if you would book the tickets with the German Railways..!

(Admittedly, European railways are nowhere near airlines when it comes to easy schedules/places where to book tickets - it can be a minefield at times if you don't know where to look & book!)
Just what I was thinking @:-)

I took a train from Prague to Berlin on Czech web site, and it was rather cheap. Coming back, not so much, train was expensive, so did the bus - Student Agency, I think they have a new name as well (RegioJet), as they cater to everyone, not just students.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 4:06 pm

I found the price on CD.CZ traveling from Prague to Munich for four on 7/28/2018 which now makes sense since there is construction as you mentioned.
True, I see it now as well. Yet plenty of dirt cheap options on the 28th via Cheb are available if you put it in as "travel via" station -although obviously the travel time will be a bit longer this way at 6h30. Still, I would always prefer it above a bus personally - although I understand that not everyone thinks like this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 10:44 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I just booked a bunch of us from Prague to Bamberg (via Nürnberg) -- IC Bus to Nürnberg then train to Bamberg. €19.90 per person. I've done the IC Bus a few times -- Between Prague and Nürnberg and Düsseldorf and Antwerp and been very happy each time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.